PDA

View Full Version : Runway use at Tegel Airport

anotheruser
13th Nov 2014, 14:51
Can someone tell me why at Berlin Tegel airport (EDDT) they normally use the longer of the two parallel runways for landing and the shorter runway for take off (unless the longer runway is requested for take off by the pilots)? Wouldn't it be better the other way round, always using the longer runway for take off?

BOAC
13th Nov 2014, 14:58
Noise? Maybe?

Dash8driver1312
13th Nov 2014, 16:02
Brakes cost money to replace. And thrust reverse is noisy and uncomfortable.

Denti
13th Nov 2014, 19:13
You can always get the north runway for departure if you need it.

Main reason as i was told once is capacity. The south runway (shorter one) ILS will be deflected by many of the usual types operated there if they hold short between runways for departure on the northern one.

Doors to Automatic
13th Nov 2014, 22:49
The runways are both a reasonable length and the shorter one is almost 8000ft so I can't imagine that there are many flights that need longer than that for take-off so I guess that for 99% of ops it doesn't matter which runway is used for which.

TopBunk
15th Nov 2014, 08:05
Better runway utilisation?

You can line up a departure on the southern runway when the arriving aircraft is on final and then clear for take off as he is in the flare.

At least that is what my experience there is, dating back to 1989 through 2005.

eckhard
15th Nov 2014, 20:32
Like Top Bunk says; it could be better utilisation. Quite a few airports with parallel runways use the 'outer' for landing and the 'inner' for take-off. LAX, CDG, GRU spring to mind. NCE bucks the trend though.