PDA

View Full Version : Kabul FIC

Scopedope
8th Nov 2014, 18:09
Anybody know what the T&C are for the Kabul FIR Contract with Claymore?
http://www.claymoreglobalsolutions.com/2014/09/24/2500/
Anybody heard of Claymore or what Airports/FIR's they operate?

hotspot1
10th Nov 2014, 01:04
hey scopedope,

I saw their advert as well but dont know anything about them and I have been operating in ATC in that part of the world for years, never heard their name come up before.
First I saw of them was in a recent ICAO document dated Sept this year regarding the pullout of the US military and the proposed takeover of Afghanistan ATC by the AFghan government. Problem is they dont have the money for the $200 million plus ATC transition project and have put out the hat to ask the international community to help them out.
Seems the current encumbant Midwest ATC, who have been subcontracted by RMS via IAP Worldwide services to run it on behalf of the US Airforce, their contract runs out (read no more money $US) from 15 December 2014.
So if no contractor has been selected, which they havent to date, and no bums on seats by midnight on 14 Dec 2014 then no more ATC in Kabul FIR and no more civil flights will be able to safely use that airspace. What a debacle.
Seems IAP and GAL were the original shortlisted companies, and the Afghan government wanted IAP. Last I heard GAL pulled out due to the protracted negotiations and the Afghan camel trading strategies with these negotiations. GAL was apparently a lot lower tender than IAP so IAP lowered their bid knowing they were preferred.
Now Afghan government cant afford it, and they started negotiations with this CLaymore mob sometime after June since its all got bogged down over money really.
Like everything the Afghans do they want to barter for it and get for almost nothing, like I said camel trading. Based on my experience there, trying to get the ATC totallly transitioned to be run by Afghans within 5 years is almost impossible. 10 years maybe if lucky.
The IAP/ MIdwest guys there are getting around $170K USD pa plus their accommodation and I think one meal a day, but they know their salaries will be paid on time. Problem is they only get to go home on leave every 6 months, and thats something most controllers (well not US peeps) will not tolerate.
Also IAP peeps currently are bunked at the airport is very small shipping container like accommodation with 2 guys to a room so you never have any personal space whatsoever and share toilet/shower facilities, great if you are of gay inclination.
I would expect at least the equivalent of what IAP gets ie $170K USD but more like $200K USD (no afghan tax paid), and paid in USD not GBP, Euros or some other poxy currency. I would also expect secure compound single accommodation on site at the airport with own bathroom incl shower etc, and ALL meals provided each day.
I would also expect to be able to leave the country for a 2 week break every 8-10 weeks with flights paid each way or chuck in at least $2,000 USD for airfares each time like Serco does at Bagdhad..... trust me from my what i have heard from colleagues there, you really need the break to get out by about the 8-10 week mark.
So whoever, if ever some one wins that contract they had better go above and beyond the current offering of IAP.
Also, knowing how the Afghans take everything to the wire, who ever gets a job with whoever wins the contract had better expect to be on site by end of November or very very early December and to rate within 10 shifts cause that's what will be required.
Thats about all i know chief.
let me know if you hear more.

hotspot1
19th Nov 2014, 02:47
hey scopedope,

did you manage to find anything on the claymore T&C's?

I have heard that IAP the current provide via US Air Force AFCENT contract which expires on 15 December this year, is going to have their contract extended by 6-9 months, but not funded by the US airforce as this would require congressional approval, which would probably not be forthcoming and take far too long.
Seems the US State department has agreed to provide the extra funding, so they must have a special stash of money at their disposal, but state has said the US Airforce has to manage it for them, so the status quo remains.
This is supposed to give the Afghans more time to select a bidder and may require them to reissue a call for tenders. If that happens it will take another 12 months or more and we will be back to the same problem, we cant afford it, please can the world help pay for it.
My guess is IAP will be there for while and will eventually get the contract as they are situ, and word has it that last time the contract bid was put out and the shortlisted ones went to see the operation, IAP/Midwest would not let them view what it was like, so others were flying blind with their bids.
Watch this space as their an ICAO meeting on this now so there should be an update soon.

VectorMe
19th Nov 2014, 17:10
... and this certainly will not help.

Compound housing foreigners under attack in Kabul, police say | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/11/19/compound-housing-foreigners-under-attack-in-kabul-police-say/)

hotspot1
22nd Nov 2014, 00:28
After completion of the latest ICAO meeting in Turkey the info seems to point to a contract extension being offered to IAP by NATO/ISAF and the USAF possibly via State Department.
It goes on to say that the NATO/US intra agency agreements have been signed so that a contract extension for IAP of between 3 and 9 months will occur within days.
Trust me the Afghans will need all of 9 months and more to get this sorted as they have been going at it now for almost 2 years and still nothing. This way they keep their airspace open, they rake in about $40 million USD pa and are still not paying for it.
I personally believe that this will go on well into next year and possibly 2016 before NATO and US will be jack of it.

For now IAP will be in situ for at least next 9 -12 months, so forget Claymores, GAL and anyone else for now.

INTERNATIONALATCO
25th Nov 2014, 16:40
I heard from a reliable source the Afghans were discussing something with India. Possibly providing the procedural control from there. :confused::confused:

hotspot1
25th Nov 2014, 22:51
International,

you are partly correct. This was part of an emergency backup measure (amongst a number of other options) that has been discussed in the ICAO meetings.
It was only to be used if the KABUL ACC closed from Dec 15, which is now not going to happen, as the NATO/ISAF agreement to extend IAP for another 6-9 months (it will be at least 9 months most likely longer).
As I mentioned the interagency agreements have been signed, just waiting for the final contract extension to be issued.

hotspot1
1st Jan 2015, 00:23
hi all

at the ICAO APAC meeting in mid December in new delhi it was confirmed the current ANSP which is Midwest on behalf of IAP/RMS has had their contract extended from the 17 December until at least 30 June 2015, it could be extended further depending on how quickly the Afghans get their act together and select an ANSP to run the contract plus them or another party to conduct the training.

This extension has been offered by NATO and the US Airforce AFCENT.

don't hold your breath as this has dragged out for nearly 2 years now.
The ACAA has approved $25 million USD for 2015 for this project but yet to pass the Afghan parliament.

NATO/ISAF has said that $200 USD million is a fair price for the 5 year contract, so that would be the benchmark the Afghans will look at.

It is intended that the Afghans have selected and signed the new 5 yerar ATC transition tender with an ANSP by 30 April 2015. This will be either IAP/Midwest, Claymore or other if some other ANSP decides to have a crack which I doubt. The Afghans do favour IAP.

So the state of play is IAP still there and only yanks still as far as I am aware although IAP were advertising a while ago for controllers and being a US citizen was not a requirement, but these adverts are now long gone.
If anyone has any other current/correct info please feel free to post. We would all be interested to see how this plays out.

87SS383
11th Oct 2015, 07:28
I have recently received an offer for a position on the IAP ATC contract in Marmal, and want to know if anyone has any information on the life of the contract/prospects for the future with IAP. I'm in country and my current company's contract was just renewed, 1 year with 3 options behind it. IAP offered more money, and better base (Marmal vs. KAF). Any insight would be great. I want to make the best informed decision I can.

Satellite Man
22nd Oct 2015, 20:28
This is a broad question not specifically related to Afghanistan but to areas in conflict or war zones. Maybe someone can shed some light on this...

There goes the question (and please excuse my ignorance): if, as civil personnel, as a civil ATCO, one goes to a war zone, like post-Gulf War Irak was for instance, and something happens that damages one's health and therefore the ability to pass the medicals to continue working as an ATCO.. does one receive a big insurance compensation? I mean, do the employers pay for reliable insurance able to provide economic support through the rest of life?