PDA

View Full Version : Paper charts and Glass cockpits FAA

globallocal
7th Nov 2014, 22:32
Hi all,

Does any one have a definitive answer on whether you need to carry enroute charts in a glass cockpit enviroment. g550/ global vision. Part 91.
And if you have a reference for it that would be great. Back in the FAA mix after a few years away.

Thanks, GL.

deefer dog
7th Nov 2014, 23:27
Short answer...almost certainly yes!

I'm happy to recommend a management company to look after all of your Part 91 legislative obligations if you find that pprune doesn't answer this question...or any others that may pop up. PM me.

galaxy flyer
8th Nov 2014, 00:55
deefer,

You would be almost certainly incorrect.

See InFO letter on iPads (http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2011/InFO11011.pdf)

IF, you are Part 91, it's pretty much up to the operator. We still carry the enroute charts because they are easier, but fill your boots.

GF

noneya
8th Nov 2014, 09:04
Galaxy Flyer...... Absolutely YES

From your own attachment

"The display of en route chart aeronautical information was not part of this particular evaluation or authorization."

You should read what you are posting.

J

cambioso
8th Nov 2014, 10:50
What does "almost certainly" mean?
Shirley a contradiction of terms (and a term often used by our esteemed and knowledgable posters!)
Jez

PLovett
8th Nov 2014, 11:57
For what its worth, in 2007 I was shown over a GLEX which had 2 x EFBs' fitted. I was told that they contained a world-wide Jepp data base and that the only paper charts they now required were the High Altitude En-Route charts. The reason was that the EFB system could not display them. I have also used an iPad with a Jepp data base. The only paper charts I required were the Terminal Area charts as the data base did not contain them.

Both were in Australia although the GLEX was N registered.

Jet Jockey A4
8th Nov 2014, 17:44
We have two Globals and one 604 all with dual Marconi's EFBs and all we carry in paper form are the Terminal charts and maps.

All our pilots also have iPads with the Jepp application.

Aircrafts are Canadian registered.

Niner Lima Charlie
8th Nov 2014, 19:11
This FAA document is easy to find on-line, just search for AC 120-76B. The official title is "Guidelines for the Certification, Airworthiness, and Operational Use of Electronic Flight Bags". If you are flying under FAR 91, then look for AC 91-78.

galaxy flyer
8th Nov 2014, 21:47
noneya

While I stand corrected the app has improved greatly since that evaluation. Cut and paste the route into the app and instant highlighted route. Yes, we carry paper enroute charts, too.

GF

deefer dog
8th Nov 2014, 23:36
Thank you 9LC

tommoutrie
8th Nov 2014, 23:55
pondering Jez's cul-de-sac..
Isn't "almost certain" as legitimate as "almost full" or "almost one in the morning"
which it is..

JetHutek
14th Nov 2014, 10:20
It's a great question. Why not just contact your POI in your particular situation and ask whether you need to carry the paper charts?