PDA

View Full Version : 'Watch dog'

4Greens
7th Nov 2014, 19:01
Saw this programme last night on the BBC. There was an item on the latest Samsung phone. It was reported by some viewers that they had overheated and on occasions burst into flame. This does not sound good news if it happens in the cabin or on the flight deck.

How should this be brought to the attention of the various authorities?

Dufo
8th Nov 2014, 10:42
For this reason we have li-po safe bags (pouches) in cockpits of all planes. Sized for ipad but will swallow everything.

RedhillPhil
8th Nov 2014, 15:30
Halon - in an enclosed space. Ooer!

777AV8R
8th Nov 2014, 16:07
Water extinguisher and placing the device in water is the only method acceptable. Halon doesn't do anything and contrary to popular belief, placing ice on it only provides insulation for the device to keep running away

The LiPol bags are good for storage after the fire or overheat is controlled and there is no danger of overheating to reoccur.

Centaurus
9th Nov 2014, 11:51
Talked to a colleague who noticed his Nokia mobile phone was getting noticeably warmer as he held it against his ear during a conversation. After finishing the chat, he put the phone on a table whereupon it emitted thick smoke then it took off like miniature rocket and trailing flame bounced off the wall and shot around the floor burning a significant hole in the carpet. Water was poured on the smouldering phone to cool it. The owner said if that had happened while the phone was next to his ear it may have killed him such was the sheer projectile force.

ShyTorque
9th Nov 2014, 13:08
I'm surprised by the advice regarding the use of a water extinguisher. I'm not qualified in Chemistry but from my secondary education I remember well the potentially violent reaction caused by water and alkaline metals. A school chum caused an explosion in a ceramic sink, by dropping a sopping wet cloth onto a chunk of lithium.

Similar to this but less controlled:

Lithium in water - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vRKK6pliejs)

anotheruser
9th Nov 2014, 20:48
Is there any pure lithium in a Li-ion battery?

777AV8R
10th Nov 2014, 06:22
The FAA produced this video a few years ago:

Extinguishing In-Flight Laptop Computer Fires - Lithium Battery Thermal Runway - YouTube (http://youtu.be/vS6KA_Si-m8)

IATA has published guidance for cabin crew and their handling of overheated/fire producing devices. This is excellent material to read and forms the basis of some of the EFB approvals if included in checklists.

ICAO also just updated their information, to be published at the end of December...