PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar

Wander00
6th Nov 2014, 14:41
Silly question for today - is French Air Force still flying Jaguars - convinced it was a Jaguar flew over my house about 10 mins ago in the southern Vendee, heading south-ish

Typhoon93
6th Nov 2014, 14:44
The French retired their Jags in 2005. Could be a display aircraft?

Snap_Shot
6th Nov 2014, 15:33
There is a project to get one airworthy again and I was told that it was progressing well...

Perhaps that was it?

Vive la big cat! :ok:

gr4techie
6th Nov 2014, 15:38
Cosford still uses Jaguar for ground instruction, flight line training, etc. Maybe one taxied a bit too fast.

Like that Victor.

Courtney Mil
6th Nov 2014, 15:40
The only people still flying them is India. Unless there's a privately owned one knocking about I dobt it was a Jag. I live right under the low fly route in the southeast and it certainly has never turned up here. Maybe an Alpha Jet?

The only other thing I can think of is a Mirage F1. They were supposed to have finished flying in July after their final fly past over Paris. Could it have been a straggler being ferried to storage?

nutnurse
6th Nov 2014, 15:44
:eek: @ gr4techie

Gurt long taxiway then.

Wander00
6th Nov 2014, 15:45
I thought Alpha Jet, but looked too long. Will look again at photos of both types, or get new specs!

Well, I think it looked more Jaguar than Alphajet, but probably the latter. Shame really.

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 16:38
Cosford still uses Jaguar for ground instruction, flight line training, etc. Maybe one taxied a bit too fast.

Don't forget the Cranwell jobbies as well... They taxy too, though none of them fast, as I believe the reheat is Balked on all of them

CoffmanStarter
6th Nov 2014, 16:43
Wander, Courtney ... Gentlemen, might I suggest a tad more Château Mouton Rothschild as I found this to be an excellent aid to recognition :ok:

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 16:49
What about a Mirage F1, similar shape, longer nose,
Any of them soldiering on ?

Just retired August, possible ferry Flight?

http://www.strategic-bureau.com/en/2014/08/ladieu-du-mirage-f1/

Wander00
6th Nov 2014, 16:57
Coff - what a good idea - hic

HaveQuick2
6th Nov 2014, 17:08
I don't think we have any taxi-ing Jaguars at Cranwell

Vendee
6th Nov 2014, 17:17
convinced it was a Jaguar flew over my house about 10 mins ago in the southern Vendee Lucky sod ;) I love that part of the world (hence my username which I've used on a lot of forums over the past 20 years) Without prying too much, where in the Vendee are you? I've spent a lot of time in and around Damvix, Lucon and lots of time "over the border" in La Rochelle.

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 17:26
Havequick

Jaguars At RAF Cranwell « News « Fast Air Photography (http://www.fast-air.co.uk/jaguars-at-raf-cranwell/)

Wander00
6th Nov 2014, 17:52
vendee - just outside St Hilaire de Voust = 25 mins from Fontenay le Comte (where I am going to the Fin de Saison for the 75% scale Mosquito on Saturday) and an hour and 10 mins from La Rochelle. Just shut the pool up for the winter!

Background Noise
6th Nov 2014, 17:59
Nut,

DCAE and their Jags have all gone to Cosford.

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 18:03
Ahhh, thanks for the info :)

Lima Juliet
6th Nov 2014, 19:49
I watched a pair of Jags taxy about at RAF cosford about a month ago. Good to see a couple of TG1 SNCOs doing the driving.

LJ

Vendee
6th Nov 2014, 20:16
Wander, we used to use Fontenay Le Comte for our shopping when we were at our gite in Damvix. We stopped off for lunch there last time we were in the area two years ago.

Do you know if they intend to sort out any sort of relief road for Marans as it always seems to be gridlocked every time we pass through. I've always wondered what the Marais Poitevin looks like in winter. I'd imagine it still looks pretty nice.

Good luck with the Mosquito on Saturday :ok:

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 20:32
Speaking of Mossies, rumour control has one doing the 2015 season, or part thereof, with the BBMF after the success of the Lancs visit. It has shown other overseas operators they can do it and make a profit too.

Courtney Mil
6th Nov 2014, 21:45
What about a Mirage F1, similar shape, longer nose,
Any of them soldiering on ?

Isn't that what I said?

NutLoose
6th Nov 2014, 22:14
I missed that, I suppose great minds and all that... :)

Schnowzer
7th Nov 2014, 04:53
My lasting memory of the Jag will be watching it race down the runway at Akrotiri headed for Saudi at the start of Op Granby in Aug 1990.

Over wing winders, tanks up the ying yang; there was no sign of any Bernoullis. It got to the Air Terminal looking like it had more downforce than a Formula 1 car. Rotate, attitude changed, still no Bernoullis!

End of runway appeared still no Bernoullis. Wheels snapped up, still no Bernoullis but fortunately all downhill to the sea. Like many flights in that period, a Leeming Herc departure with rockets on springs to mind, there didn't seem to have been too many performance calculations carried out.

The comments always came from those staying on the ground; "Full jet, full burner, it will be fine sir!"

MAINJAFAD
7th Nov 2014, 07:40
French could be using one for Trials work, I've seen two types flying post operational out of service dates by a couple of years (for example The last Lightning I every saw flying was in mid 1991 (out of service in 1988 and being used as radar trials aircraft by BAe) and Tornado F3 (saw flying twice in 2012 or 13, out of service in 2010. Being used on Meteor AAM Trials). More likely an Alpha Jet or Mirage F1 though (The French were helping Liyba reactivate their F1 fleet).

Alber Ratman
7th Nov 2014, 11:47
Doubt it was a Jaguar unless the Indians have deployed one up to France.

melmothtw
7th Nov 2014, 12:03
Rumour mill has it that the Nigerians are looking to bring theirs back into service (they were certainly advertising for qualified engineers a couple of months back). Connected perhaps?

MATELO
7th Nov 2014, 12:21
54 SQN Jet recovering from the SA. :)

A2QFI
7th Nov 2014, 13:08
NAF Jaguars were retired 22 years ago and goodness knows what the storage conditions have been and has there been any preventative maintenance. Scrap only IMO

exMudmover
7th Nov 2014, 16:26
Er Nutloose,

Don't forget the Cranwell jobbies as well... They taxy too, though none of them fast, as I believe the reheat is Balked on all of them

I thought the Jag needed reheat to taxy?

I'll get my coat.

gr4techie
7th Nov 2014, 16:42
French could be using one for Trials work

You just reminded me of this one. Are all the Boscombe Down / Qinetiq Jags now retired? A quick Google of XX145 bring up a photo of it in pieces at Buntingthorpe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/MikePix/RIAT/JaguarFairfordXX145.jpg

NutLoose
7th Nov 2014, 16:59
NAF Jaguars were retired 22 years ago and goodness knows what the storage conditions have been and has there been any preventative maintenance. Scrap only IMO

We've had this conversation before and apparently BAe had looked at them with regard to refurbishing them and flogging them off, but they decided they were to far gone.

I thought the Jag needed reheat to taxy?

I was being nice as the odd person on here does not like me ridiculing the old leaf blower....Doh!!

Background Noise
7th Nov 2014, 17:34
Don't forget the Cranwell jobbies as well... .

exMud, see post #16

MAINJAFAD
7th Nov 2014, 18:37
gr4techie

I know, I helped fit a bit back on it.

Brian 48nav
12th Nov 2014, 21:09
I got the Jag Mate off-spring on the case - he's now with Airbus in Toulouse - and is pretty sure there are no Jags flying in France. However he said there are Singapore A4s still at Cazaux.

Could they be confused? I don't know!

Courtney Mil

I used to cycle from Fleurance area to Valence and Beaumont on occasion - your part of the world?

Wander00
14th Nov 2014, 17:30
B48 - many thanks -

think I am a bit further north - 80km NE of La Rochelle, near Fontenay le Comte and Niort

Cheers

W

Pontius Navigator
14th Nov 2014, 17:44
We ran a weapons trial at Rainforest with the Jag doing everything required of it. 525 kts at 150 ft wasn't bad.

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 20:34
I was being nice as the odd person on here does not like me ridiculing the old leaf blower....Doh!!
More a case of you being so predictable. Every time there was a Jag thread you trotted out the same tired old jokes. Most were about as funny as getting an abscess on your ****.

S-D

NutLoose
14th Nov 2014, 20:39
See exmudmover, I told you he would spout off a diatribe of verbage at me... And he proved me correct.

salad-dodger
14th Nov 2014, 20:42
I'm not really bothered what you say about the Jag. Never worked on them, flown them or had any dealings with them. You've had some real flamings off others besides me.

Your jokes were just old, and I'm not even sure any of them were yours! Some of them were funny once.

S-D