PDA

View Full Version : EASA IR-OPS Question

EK4457
6th Nov 2014, 13:53
Hi all,

Sorry for the really boring and dry subject but I've got a quick question for those who are up-to-date with EASA IR-OPS;

As I understand it, since 28OCT14, EU-OPS (Council Regulation 3922/91 which had annex (ii) replaced with annex (iii) via Commission Regulation 859/2008 ) was no longer applicable.

Since this date, Commision Regulation 965/2012 has been in place and is known as EASA-OPS or IR-OPS (disregarding FTLs - another story altogether).

My question is this; where in this document are the system minima for instrument approaches?

I can find them in EU-OPS (Aerodrom Operating Minima - pg 62) but not EASA-OPS.

Apologies if I've simply missed them in the document.

Thanks.

hvogt
6th Nov 2014, 17:29
There is a cross reference table (http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/flightstandards-doc-Cross-reference-table_Final-Version.xlsx) on EASA's site which might help.

EK4457
7th Nov 2014, 10:21
Thanks for the reply.

That table is useful in that it states that there is no change from EU-OPS.

However, if somebody were to ask me to locate the official regulation as it stands the best I could do is refer to EU-OPS.... which was repealed with effect from 28OCT14 (well, most of it anyway....)

I've checked the UK ANO (CAP393) but can't find it there either.

Am I missing something?

hvogt
7th Nov 2014, 10:31
If you select "1.430 - Appendix 1 (New), (b)(2)" from the drop-down menu in F1, then C10 and D10 come up with "Annex 1" and "Definitions for terms used in Annexes II to VII". In other words, the minima you're after are now in Annex 1 to the Air Operations Regulation (Commission Regulation (EU) No 965/2012 of 5 October 2012.)

Edit: Sorry, I just realise you probably weren't looking for the precision approach minima defining the categories, but for system minima. Anyway, you should be able to find everything you're looking for using the table.

EK4457
7th Nov 2014, 10:52
Ha ha - very good.

However I was after the system minima for Non-Precision Approaches. The definition given in Annex 1 is as follows;

(80) ‘non-precision approach (NPA) operation’ means an instrument approach with a minimum descent height (MDH), or DH when flying a CDFA technique, not lower than 250 ft and an RVR/CMV of not less than 750 m for aeroplanes and 600 m for helicopters;

However, EU-OPS distinguishes between the different types of NPA system minima (eg NDB 300 ft etc).

It would appear that IR-OPS is less restrictive that EU-OPS.... I'm pretty sure I've got that wrong though ....

EK4457
7th Nov 2014, 10:58
I've just realised that the idea of IR-OPS was to be less restrictive than EU-OPS in some areas with the difference coverd by 'Acceptable Means of Compliance' or 'AMC' guidance (also know as 'soft law' as these documents are not written into the regulations).

I've just had a look at 'Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) and Guidance Material (GM) to Part-CAT' and found it all there.

Interesting stuff I know.

Thanks for the help!