PDA

View Full Version : Grass cutting in Notams (and ATIS?)

flying apprentice
3rd Nov 2014, 13:09
I was wondering whether anybody knows the operational implications that grass cutting has on asphalt runway aerodromes?

I have seen it in Notams and am sure I've heard it on ATIS too. Maybe foolishly I am dismissing it as no factor. Maybe it's an airport covering it's ass by mentioning it ? It just seems a waste of information to put on a broadcast.

So I am wondering which aircraft /operations find this information pertinent. And more importantly am I missing something by dismissing it as not relevant.

TOWTEAMBASE
3rd Nov 2014, 15:15
It affects any aerodrome that operates RIMCAS, that's only a concern for ATC though really as they need to know if it's a genuine conflict or not, sometimes in the case of grass cutting or snow clearing, they switch it off

blind pew
3rd Nov 2014, 16:52
Dublin had a lucky escape a couple of years ago when an airbus, iirc, landed over a tractor driver at night who had been cutting the grass....report somewhere on aaiu....

http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/11644-2009014_CGTBB_DUBLIN_CFP-0.pdf

flying apprentice
3rd Nov 2014, 16:55
Thanks. Had to look up what RIMCAS was. :O

But anybody have any idea why is it in notams and atis ? Not a lot a pilot can do about it. Unless they have a plane full of hay fever sufferers.

Piltdown Man
6th Nov 2014, 18:50
And people wonder why we don't read NOTAMS! I wish airports would get a grip of reality. I really don't need to know threshold elevation, whether or not grass cutting is in progress or if knife sharpening operations are being undertaken or the colour of the SATCO's socks. Just tell me the wind and QNH and what's not working that should be. If someone really needs to spout all of this garbage, I'd suggest that they record it and play it to themselves. Then everyone would be happy.

(Shoe size 8, Blood group O. Don't play with peanuts. This message may contain matches. Smoking damages your high visibility jackets. Eat your greens. Never take a chance. Don't eat greens as they may contain matches. Errr.... TILT)

Sir George Cayley
6th Nov 2014, 21:03
So ingesting lumps of wet grass is OK then?

flying apprentice
9th Nov 2014, 05:14
Ingestion of wet clumps of grass is an interesting suggestion for a hazard.

Having googled it, I've not found any incidents for jets or pistons where this has been a factor.

Also if it were, wouldn't the airports cut grass in such a way that the clumps were collected by the mowers/tractors ?