PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseating

erjdriver
30th May 2002, 19:21
I've had the pleasure to having a couple of jumpseaters employed by internationals carriers (ElAl, British Midland, and a lot from Air Canada). I was wondering, since our company doesn't discriminate against the airline's nationality (as long as they're a 121 carrier), is the courtesy reciprocal in Europe? When I go back to Italy to visit my family, I have to buy an ID90, which is a great deal, but jumpseating would be even better. I asked to jumpseat on Alitalia once, and the captain refused (and was actually rude about it).

Also, does anyone know what average wages for pilots are in Italy? Are they similar to the US?

Hand Solo
30th May 2002, 21:13
Basically, no. The various European taxmen have got their sticky fingers on this and would class it as a taxable perk of the job, so it just doesn't work like the US. In the UK post-911 all jumpseat rides have been banned by the powers that be, with limited exceptions for identifiable staff members of your own airline and immediate family.

Critical Mach#
30th May 2002, 21:19
Spain is Ok for jumpseaters.

Spanair, Iberia and Air Europa will not requiere agreements between companies to extend you this courtesy. In fact, itīs captainīs discretion.

Go to the gate and request to speak to the captain in order to fly as EXTRA CREW. Company ID and valid licence is a must

Regards
CM

KrisWil
31st May 2002, 21:58
Hello,

I'm currently employed with a Dutch company as a captain B738. We're looking at vacationing on the Dutch Antilles and thereafter flying to the States for a family visit. US Air is flying from St. Maarten to Philadelphia and Charlotte.

How do I go about getting ID90 and/or a jumpseat? (Traveling with my wife and 4 children).

Also, jumpseat travel in The Netherlands is the same as specified earlier: kept down under by the mighty Tax-men.

Kind regards
Willem