PDA

View Full Version : B737NG Rough Air Techniques Below 1000FT for LDG

jim737
28th Oct 2014, 15:41
Hi everyone,

A question for 737 pilots.

For Landing 

FCTM said AT use is recommended only when the AP is engaged.

Please tell me your techniques the strong wind or Rough Air Below 1000ft ?

so if AP/AT are off at 1000ft, it is very difficult .

my technique , AP/AT are ON until 200ft
or AP is off at 1000ft, AT is off at 200ft.

flyburg
29th Oct 2014, 09:01
Generally, you should stick to the manual! In this case the FCTM stating, either all on or all off!

Personally, during strong turbulence, I prefer to have it all off. The autopilot has limited authority and from experience the A/T doesn't work all that we'll with gusty conditions.(slow to react).

I have flown and landed the 73 in some pretty extreme turbulence. With having the AP on in a 73 until 200ft in those conditions you couldn't drive a needle in my darker part with a sledgehammer ��

Another thing to consider, where do you turn off the automatics? In my opinion, you get the 73 always slightly out of trim. From personal experience disconnecting al low alt with reduced visibility is not a good thing! I made my worst landing ever in ESSA during drifting snow conditions, low visibility, at night. Disconnecting the AP,A/T at 200 ft just as I was getting visual I got the airplane out of trim and no sense where to position the controls while transitioning from inside to outside. Got the ACARS printout!!! In this case it would have been better to disconnect at 1000ft or to have made an autoland.

OhNoCB
29th Oct 2014, 12:05
It should apply to most types really, but I would say the best thing is to avoid chasing numbers. In some conditions you have to accept that maybe the speed is going to fluctuate a bit and be ready to correct if you see an undesirable trend developing, but at the same time accept the fluctuations within reason. I have seen and heard of plenty of approaches getting unstable in these conditions due to over controlling especially with thrust levers moving from one extreme to another which obviously makes everything else more difficult too.

Amadis of Gaul
29th Oct 2014, 14:29
OhNOCB, don't be talking common sense 'round these parts, it's not welcome.

esreverlluf
29th Oct 2014, 21:46
Below about 500' just use the force - and hope it is strong with you.:ok:

If things get too ugly, then get out of there, TOGA is a mighty fine selection under some circumstances!

galaxy flyer
29th Oct 2014, 23:50
Jim,

Let me get this right, you are a 737 pilot in the US in common carriage AND asking this question? Which airline, so I can buy tickets elsewhere?

framer
1st Nov 2014, 10:20
Disconnect them both at 1000' ( or earlier) and then don't chase numbers too much. Know your N1 target and work around that. Go-around if it's not going to work well. Or if stable approach criteria are blown.
The A/P will disconnect by itself if it's really rough anyway, when that happens, it is a mistake to try and re engage it, look directly to your profile as you will probably be moving off it, fly the plane to a landing or a go around, your choice.

de facto
1st Nov 2014, 13:15
Know your N1 target and work around that.

The magic to stable approaches and good landings.:ok:

Amadis of Gaul
1st Nov 2014, 22:56
Jim,

Let me get this right, you are a 737 pilot in the US in common carriage AND asking this question? Which airline, so I can buy tickets elsewhere?

Relax, GF, we've had quite a few of these supposed "737 pilots" pop up around here lately.