PDA

View Full Version : How you choose an exit taxyway

I-WEBA
14th Oct 2014, 05:51
Hi everybody

I'd like to ask to pilots how they choose an exit taxyway.
I'd like to share an example, as I fly many times this route all over the year, always with the same airline, EZY.
Olbia airport (OLB/Lieo).
Runway 05 is 2445 meters, pilots usually choose between two taxyways to vacate, C which is 1500 from thresold and after vacating in 1 minutes you reach the parking gate. And B which is 2000 from thr and apron is far 3 minutes.
I usually see when late always C is preferred, on time It depends, some pilots choose C even if 20 mins ahead of schedule, others roll to B.
Which consideration do you do? A strong breaking to vacate immeadetely and save some kgs of fuel or less breaking and some kgs of fuel more?

Piltdown Man
14th Oct 2014, 06:52
The main decider is the taxi time unless that is over-ruled by the requirement to vacate quickly. Normally, before you land you consider the taxi route you are likely to get and brake accordingly to match that with the most useful exit. Given the choice, only when I have to backtrack to vacate do I brake firmly. My preference is to let it roll (once I've checked the brakes actually work) as it is more comfortable. With regards to fuel burn, that is totally dependent and taxi time and reverse usage. Cut both down and you reduce fuel used.

Wirbelsturm
14th Oct 2014, 07:53
It also depends upon your landing performance.

For example it is easy to vacate rwy 10 at St Lucia when transiting from London as you have burnt your fuel and the landing performance at Flap 25 with AB 3 is acceptable for the landing distance available to the intermediate taxiway (C I think).

However, we often shuttle from St Lucia and tanker fuel back into the island to land at max landing weight. This makes the decision whether to pummel the brakes or accept the rwy turn a little more difficult.

There is a brake cooling schedule that needs to be looked at prior to the next rotation so stopping a full weight 777 with massive braking prior to a short turnaround could, potentially, be both uncomfortable for the passengers and also vary annoying for your colleagues taking the jet back home.

Better to take the the 180 turn then cook the brakes sometimes.

glendalegoon
28th Oct 2014, 01:53
When I fly into chicago midway, doing quick turns in a 737, I will almost always go to the end of the runway using minimum braking. I want the brakes to be cool for the next takeoff in case of reject.

OF course if you are going to go off the end, you use everything to stop, even if you must delay takeoff for brake cooling.

Minimize wear and tear on the plane, within safety limits. Smoking brakes mean you did it wrong.

TypeIV
28th Oct 2014, 10:39
It's a mix of factors. Most prominent ones being brake cooling, taxi time, runway traffic intensity (minimizing occupancy times), passenger comfort, aircraft condition, use of reversers, preferred use of taxiways by the airport management etc.

:}And in some companies the pilots are paid by actual block time, not saying it makes a difference of course... :}

grounded27
30th Oct 2014, 04:36
Had a 742F I used to work daily, hot environment dry runway used to curse a few bad eggs for heavy breaking to make the first turnoff. They go to the hotel and left me with up to 3 to 6 tyres on average that would thermally discharge tire pressure (safety device that renders the tyre unusable yet prevents an explosion). Bad day for me while they were enjoying a cold beer and a soft bed. I am talking about a 13000 foot runway. They would certainly not subject a passenger aircraft to this abuse. :ugh::{:=:*