PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Medicals

Puffin Killer
29th May 2002, 16:39
I live in the south east and I am approaching my first post 40 medical. The doctor who carried out my last medical quoted me £128.00 :( including ECG.

Is this good value or should I try elsewhere :confused:

Any suggestions?

pulse1
29th May 2002, 16:52
Definitely try elsewhere. Choose an AME who only does Class 2 medicals as they tend to be cheaper in my experience. I paid £60 for the full works in February.

If you do a search on the CAA website (medical) they will give you a list of AME's in your area.

SteveR
29th May 2002, 22:03
130 quid (including ECG) is what I was being quoted all over the place when I was looking last month. There was a big price hike in April and they all seem to be in on it, including the Gatwick medics.....

In the end I did get lucky with the Tower Hill Medical Practice in EC something. 90 for a renewal.

Steve R

ps. There can be a saving to be made by getting your ECG recorded elsewhere and taking it with you to be read.

niknak
29th May 2002, 22:38
You may get a chepaer price, but have to travel for it.
As an ATCO, I pay £130 for a full class one medical including ECG and Audiogramme, and I happen to know that the doc' gets a fee of around £30 for this.
My AME is also a GP with his own practice, due to the contractual commitment to NHS work, he (the only CAA authorised AME in the practice), can only do aviation medicals on a Fri morning, which equates to around 12 medicals a week.
£300 is not much when you consider the upkeep costs of the practice, staff costs, revalidation of the AME by the CAA each year, commitment by the AME to attend various CAA update courses etc.
Of course, their are retired GPs etc who only carry out CAA/FAA medicals, and they are coining it in, but these are few and far between.
On the whole, I think we get good value for money from our AME's, but not from the CAA Medical Branch.

You want it when?
30th May 2002, 07:21
£55 all in for a class 2 with ECG. FAA site (I think) and in Bletchly (Nr Cranfield) - the doc came in at 07:30 as I had to get into London and back to work sharpish.

foghorn
30th May 2002, 08:37
Tower Hill Medical practice (Tower Hill tube/Fenchurch Street BR) gets my vote - they stick to the CAA's recommended fees, while some doctors take the ****. If you're Central London based check them out.

Nice modern surgery, easy to get bookings as it's a private practice, not some NHS GP supplementing his income by squeezing you in between the usual screaming kids and tranqu'ed middle-aged women.

They did my Class One renewal for £90 after I had been overcharged £130 (for a less thorough and I'm conviced substandard examination) by my local AME last time.

cheers!
foggy.

Mariner9
30th May 2002, 09:17
The PFA publish a list of 'cut price' AME's on their web site. You have to be a member to access it though.

M9

englishal
30th May 2002, 09:20
£50 got me a class 2 renewal plus an FAA class 2......Christchurch in Dorset.

EA

LowNSlow
30th May 2002, 09:33
Do you know what ECG stands for ? .........

Extra Cash Generator :mad:

Puffin Killer
30th May 2002, 12:23
Many thanks for the replys:)

I will check out the CAA and PFA websites and start phoning around.

paulo
31st May 2002, 09:46
£130? I wish.

I had an odd ECG the AME wanted to check further... the total bill came to £700. Small price to pay for peace of mind, but ouch all the same.