PDA

View Full Version : SQ365 6/10 B777-200ER Engine problem

uncle8
7th Oct 2014, 00:19
A technical friend who was a passenger on this flight, Rome to Singapore, has asked me to find out what was actually wrong with the port engine which caused a three hour delay.

The passengers were initially told that an early departure was looking likely then that the left engine had a problem and there would be a delay. Other information from the captain:
The engine, itself, was OK, the problem was with an indicator.
They would have to fly at a lower level and on a different route.
The fault would increase the workload in the cockpit.

They subsequently flew no higher than FL330.

parabellum
7th Oct 2014, 04:00
This is just a possibility and I'm ready to be shot down as I'm not B777 qualified.

It may have been an indication that an electrical fuel pump was inoperative, ground engineers tried for three hours to get rid of the indicated fault, eventually the aircraft departed in accordance with the MEL, (Minimum Equipment List), which may well have specified that, with a pump unserviceable, the aircraft was restricted to not above FL330.
The engineers will be along soon! :)

Amadis of Gaul
8th Oct 2014, 12:19
Can't this "technical friend" find out for himself? BTW, what IS a "technical friend"? Is that something different than, say, a biological friend?

uncle8
8th Oct 2014, 22:06
That's an excellent question. It is ambiguous. The friend is technically minded so can understand a technical explanation if you would care to give one. I'm helping because I am a Ppruner.
Parabellum, thanks for your answer, makes sense.

Amadis of Gaul
9th Oct 2014, 14:23
Something was NFG (Not Functioning Good), but not so NFG as to cancel the flight. Tell your friend he's welcome.