PDA

View Full Version : EK or Qr??

Rock320
25th Sep 2014, 18:25
Okay well alot of negative talk abt the work environment both at Qr and Ek..but if we have to weigh one out of the 2, which one is better??
How long is the training for at both and do ppl actually fail and sent back home??

ironbutt57
26th Sep 2014, 04:56
visit both places, and decide which is a better place to live, especially if you have a family...

Kapitanleutnant
26th Sep 2014, 05:41
I think it depends quite a bit on which aircraft you will be flying at either airline. The differences of roster/quality of life(although there is really no quality of life at either), are quite significant.

You're asking to essentially pick the lesser of the evils….

Do you Due Diligence and ask of other sources as well. Find an EK pilot thru the private messaging and also a Qatari pilot and ask questions.

Kap

ItsMeFromEarth
26th Sep 2014, 06:22
QR can only improve, it is a fact.

Saltaire
26th Sep 2014, 06:50
Visit Dubai and Doha- make a decision. EK has been the more desirable since they both started. I haven't heard of anyone that has moved from EK to QR, without a problem or being let go but the opposite is certainly true. Dubai is a MUCH more livable city with a more respected airline. Don't get me wrong, both have issues.

ODGUY
26th Sep 2014, 07:02
I have to disagree with the advise of choosing a company based on your fleet. The routes/fleets change. Maybe not in a year, but they certainly change. New fleets are being introduced, and route requirements are constantly changing. You may change a fleet or be given an offer you can't refuse ;)

Choose a company where you will feel comfortable, and most importantly, choose a city where your family (or if you don't have one) and/or you will feel comfortable.

Doha and Dubai are different. Yes, both are in the gulf, and only a 50 min flight apart, however they are different.

Outatowner
26th Sep 2014, 14:32
My suggestion is you and all other aspirants go to QR.

Too much bad juju at EK. You'd hate it.

I've heard QR is amazing to work for and a fantastic place to live but unfortunately the poaching agreement cuts me out. Gutted.

Flyboy_SG
26th Sep 2014, 18:21
Can you elaborate on that? After completing the training bond aren't you free to go wherever you want?

QR seems to be a better place interms of career progression and EK in case of QOL. 10 to 12 years command is quite a long wait ! And its 5yr training bond vs 3yrs(QR) !

Rock320
26th Sep 2014, 19:34
How about the training period?? Heard EK gives u a really hard time and dont really help u thru if ur performance is low...how is it at Qr??

casablanca
26th Sep 2014, 19:40
Before it was a no brainier...emirates . It does seem they are doing all that they can to eliminate all the benefits they previously had over QR. Coupled with the fact that Qr has more growth and upgrades( most likely) it is starting to be more even. I do believe Dubai offers better lifestyle and is much cheaper than Doha, which is now the most expensive place in Gulf?

Count von Altibar
26th Sep 2014, 22:49
I think Emirates for the better lifestyle, less authoritarian leadership compared to Qatar. For fast upgrade I think it has to be QR, horses for course though as ever!

FlightPilot
26th Sep 2014, 23:17
Being brought up in Dubai, I can sure say it's got the lifestyle that would be better. EK has shiny jets, with new ones coming in every few months. Home of the largest A380/B777 fleet. Diversity & the people are great! Doha isn't bad either :ok:

harry the cod
26th Sep 2014, 23:39
Flyboy SG

I would be very careful taking onboard any information originating from Outatowner. Anyone who says QR are 'amazing to work for' and that Doha is 'a fantastic place to live' is either bonkers or has a sense of humour way too subtle for my advancing years.

A quick scroll through his emotive posts should tell you all you need to know about this character and his viewpoints!

Harry

SMT Member
26th Sep 2014, 23:39
Consider this: Ask someone, expat or local, in Doha what's the definition of a good night out, and they might say 'catch a flight to Dubai'. The opposite has never happened.

Doha is an exceedingly boring placed, haunted by an exceedingly oppressive climate. At least the first need not be true for Dubai.

KRUGERFLAP
27th Sep 2014, 00:26
In my opinion the option 1 is the one in Abu Dhabi.

colo18
27th Sep 2014, 13:17
I lived in Doha for 5 years. Is a good place to live (for family). We were very happy!

QR is a great airline and opportunities come fast for upgrades or fleet transfers. However is a ONE MAN SHOW company. The CEO pretends to play GOD and he decides everything in the company so better be low profile. A warning letter is very easy to get and it will mark you in the company... And if he doesn't like you or you have a problem is better to look for another job.

Other than that I have many friends who have succeed and have a brilliant career in QR.

All the best to all of you...

Wizofoz
27th Sep 2014, 14:02
I would second KUGERFLAP that the best mix of lifestyle v quick command is probably now to be found at OMAA.

umitatl
27th Sep 2014, 14:32
Would you please give more info about status at omaa to take left seat??

Thanks in advance

casablanca
27th Sep 2014, 16:36
The other airline seems to have quickest upgrade and know that they are hiring lots of DECs on 777 as have had several friends go there recently.

nosegears
27th Sep 2014, 18:46
Does anyone know what are the REAL minimum req EK is applying now ?

I know that there is a minimum in the website but is there anything new in this ?

And how about EY for A320 fleet ?

I've 2000 Total hours with 1200 of narrow body jet and the other 800 in Citation Jet's most of them as a captain.

Regards
Nosegears

Schnowzer
28th Sep 2014, 09:12
I hear a rumour about a 15~20% pay rise at QR to make the package more attractive? Any legs to it?

Obbie
28th Sep 2014, 12:49
Yes, details are to be released in the next week.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes.

CadetPilot
28th Sep 2014, 13:04
Agreed that QR can ONLY get better.
Housing survey is a start to see what everyone is looking for, at least the company is now acknowledging the problem.
Positive news on the Pilot Meetings, pay rise soon, eligibility of transfers for pretty much everyone, rosters have been much better too.

Cant complain. :ok::ok:

allaru
28th Sep 2014, 13:56
Yes its sad to say but by all accounts Qatar would be a better option now days....less flying and...more money

Obbie
28th Sep 2014, 15:47
Is it "Sad to Say" is it Allaru ?

What's wrong, EK letting you down ?

You ego maniacs have been long over
due for an attitude adjustment.

Happy to be the one's giving it to you. :ok:

ManaAdaSystem
28th Sep 2014, 16:40
OUCH! Obbie, you are a cruel man.

But probably correct.

allaru
29th Sep 2014, 12:02
Tnx Obi-Wan*Kenobi*and mana tidak ada system...just doin my best to provide the community with accurate info to help them make an informed decision.

Saltaire
29th Sep 2014, 12:09
Sour grapes, as they both botched the EK interview and had to take the other ( QR or EY ) option - best of luck.

Obbie
29th Sep 2014, 19:06
Not quite, but thanks for proving my point.:D

vfenext
29th Sep 2014, 21:27
Come on Obbie admit it. QR is the job you need until you find the job you want. It's the poor relation in every way.

casablanca
2nd Oct 2014, 10:08
Had a layover in BKK other day and heard from a pilot from Abu Dhabi that there are rumors about pay raise there as well as a large increase in housing?

donpizmeov
2nd Oct 2014, 15:56
I had a layover the other day. Met a dude that thought his company was going to give him a unicorn. Think he might be luckier than anyone in Gulf expecting a pay rise.

The don.

TheColonel
2nd Oct 2014, 23:31
Not entirely true donpizmeov... Qatar COO announced payrise. Thats the Gulf right? Just sayin...:ok:

Flytdeck
3rd Oct 2014, 00:58
Luke,

Why were you cleaning toilets with your tongue? This is NOT a prerequisite for airline pilots. You should change schools for one that offers courses in advanced bootlicking. This is a much better skill to list on your résumé. After rinsing your mouth, you should note that the countries that offer infectious diseases in their toilets are likely not the most positive places for acquiring a solid and long term flying position. ☺

Thread readers:

After over two years at QR and living in Doha full time, can say that this may not be the best place to live or the best airline to work for, but it is certainly far better than the uncertainty of the majority of the global carriers and, if you have a patient and adaptable mindset, offers many opportunities. All this without having to employ the previously mentioned bootlicking or toilet cleaning skills! Doha is a dynamic (substitute "always under construction") city and this is a rapidly evolving airline. There are going to be frustrating events but if put in the global context, no worse than anywhere else. Cannot compare to Emirates or the "Airline that shall not be named", but know from talking with others that it compares favourably with any other non-European carrier (and many European carriers).

So EK vs QR. Take your pick and make the best of your choice. In the long term,they both have the potential to enhance your career.

casablanca
3rd Oct 2014, 04:22
For months there was a rumor Qatar was going to get a pay raise.....well it's official according to the new COO.....although the amount has not yet been announced he said it would be paid back to Sept 01.
I have a little better information than some dude in BKK.....however I can't even mention airline by name so didn't feel wise quoting my source. It does seem the company is hinting at an 8% pay raise and housing allowance up to 200,00/ year.
I find this a good thing if we have a bit of a salary war in gulf cause we desperately need it! As they are both desperately trying to attract the same candidates I wouldn't be that surprised if The other carrier matches or exceeds QR.
I did hear something about Emirates getting a new flight bag with a pretty unicorn patch on the side!

mooseknuckles
3rd Oct 2014, 08:37
"Happy to be the ones giving it to you."

You're an idiot. Do you really align yourself with a middle east airline management? Do you have a twisted sense of loyalty to people who don't care if you live or die?. To them you are only slightly more important than a chauffeur.

Any of you who refer to an airline in this region as "my airline" or "your airline" don't have a clue. It's "their airline". The sooner you get that we'll all be better off.

ItsMeFromEarth
3rd Oct 2014, 09:23
Loyalty and/or Obedience are part of a culture, part of an education.

Flytdeck
4th Oct 2014, 05:26
Many years ago we could join a company and call it ours. We were part of the "family" and would support the company objectives willingly if not eagerly. Commerce has evolved to the point where there is no family, only assets and resources. As employees, we are an expensive resource and any opportunity to reduce this expense must be seized and exploited.

It may be that experienced pilots are becoming an increasingly rare resource and therefore more valuable. There may be some effort to put the friendly, accommodating face back into HR in order to entice more resources to the fold. Middle East carriers are no different than other large airlines in this world and likely are evolving to the point where they realize a career pilot is a valuable asset and some effort should be expended and retaining her/him. Therefore, seeking employment in this area should be considered an opportunity and after an appropriate time, THEN make the decision to stay or leave.

For the moment, I am staying. A little curious to see how the housing and pay rumours evolve! :)

Outatowner
8th Oct 2014, 06:42
Knobbie you are right on... unlike the nasties where we all work, in QR the CEO is the nicest in the industry and makes everyone feel valued and a part of the team. You all own that airline and not a trace of selfish, petulant greed to be seen. If only I hadn't rushed here instead.

I don't know one pilot who deeply, bitterly regretted going to work at QR.

ItsMeFromEarth
8th Oct 2014, 06:58
QR can only improve, and it will improve to the point where pilots will knock at the door.:ok:
Emirates will remain an excellent Airline to work for :ok:, and the nameless sister :} will drop to number 3 in the region.
Meanwhile, in the other parts of the world, slow recovery, salary reduction, network reduction, aging fleets shall prevail.:E

http://www.pprune.org/images/misc/amazon_icon.gif Pilots On Food Stamps - Kindle edition by Ben Mandell. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Rock320
8th Oct 2014, 12:23
Things seem brighter on the other side....pilots in EK in other threads aren't too happy either...