PDA

View Full Version : How did you start?

Five5
28th May 2002, 22:54
Having left university with a taste for flying thanks to a UAS, I now want to complete a PPL this summer but I'm having a hard time finding out the important factors involved in choosing a school. If someone would pass on any general advice or help with these questions I would be very grateful.

How much difference does the school's fleet make to my training, and for my future flying (ie. keeping licence up to date/ hiring in the future/ experience...)?

With serious ambitions to become a professional pilot, would it be any advantage to look towards a school with whom I may complete a professional licence course in the future?

Living NW of London, the schools near me are supposedly heavily restricted by airspace regulations. This has the possibility of being good experience, but would it hinder my training and be better to look further a-field?

Your experience and comments are much appreciated.

Aussie Andy
29th May 2002, 06:13
Hi Five5 - As you live in Bucks. I would recommend Brtish Airways Flying Club (http://www.bafc.co.uk) - very good fleet, well maintained, and very high standards.

Re- the airspace in SE UK / NW London area - I'd say its a definite advantage for you to learn in such an environment in the long run. You will become accustomed to different types of ATC environments (TWR, AFIS, AG, Class D, LARS) early on and not be phased - I have heard e.g. that some who learn in the open skies of the US may be daunted on return to this environment, so I reckon best of starting here.

Hope this helps,

Genghis the Engineer
29th May 2002, 06:39
Flying schools are quite highly regulated by the CAA, so you're likely to find that standards are fairly consistent, so far as basic maintenance and instruction are concerned.

So, what issues are worth looking at?

Price - important to everybody, but if you've just graduated particularly so.

Fleet - what sort of thing do you want to fly? Have they got more than one? Are you looking to build experience in the same place? if so, you want to see a selection of other things to fly once you're qualified.

People - can you reasonably guarantee to fly mostly with one instructor whilst you're learning?

Feel - an intangible, but go and do a trial lesson at a place, chat to the instructors and students, do you feel comfortable in that environment?

G

Evo7
29th May 2002, 06:41
Not sure if you have a club in mind, but if not you can do a search on the Flyer Magazine (http://www.flyer.co.uk/directory/index.php) website. You should find plenty of options. I'd pick a reasonably local school, but that's just my preference.

As to which school - go to several, take a look around, talk to everyone (FIs, students, bloke on the desk, anyone). They are regulated so they all meet the basic standards, but are they well organized and friendly? You'll be spending a lot of time there (before and after 45 hours flying, plus many cancelled lessons :(, plus exams, nightschool....). Will you get the same instructor?

Finally, I wouldn't worry too much about the choice of aircraft unless you've got very strong feelings one way or another. Pick the school, take what they fly.

(Edit: as Genghis mentioned, price is important - but watch out for 'hidden' charges like landing fees etc. on top of the hourly rate)

poetpilot
29th May 2002, 08:07
Don't pay in advance for your flying (block bookings) - too many places have gone bump and disappeared with students hard-earned cash.

FlyingForFun
29th May 2002, 09:04
Agree with all the comments so far.

By far the most important, IMHO, is the intangible "feel" - go into all the schools within a reasonable distance and talk to people. Bad weather days are usually the best time - there will definitely be instructors on the ground, and you can probably find a few students around the place too.

White Waltham might be a bit far from you, but I'd definitely recommend them if you don't mind the drive - that's where I did my PPL, and where my current aircraft is based.

Good luck, and have fun!

FFF
------------

Whirlybird
29th May 2002, 09:25
Agree with all above. But if you get it wrong, don't be afraid to change to a different instructor or even a different school. It's your money, and you should get good service for it. If things aren't working out, it's not your fault, whatever the school implies; it's theirs.

This may be unnecessary, and I hope so, but I speak from experience.:(

TopBum
29th May 2002, 13:55
The most important deciding factor overall is the instructors.

I tried gliding many moons ago. Different (amateur) instructor every week so there was little continuity from week to week. Also these guys, although nice chaps, were not always very proficient instructors. It was not something done as a living. but rather something done now and again occassionally.

The value for money is pro-rata to the ability of the instructors.

I started PPL training last year and on the basis of the above looked for a school (using Flyer magazine's website) for a school with a few full-time instructors and took a trail flight with one of them.

I've been happy with my choice of school ever since.

Keef
29th May 2002, 15:25
It's mostly been said, but:

1. Take a look round the club first. Do the folks talk to you and try to understand what you're there for, or do they ignore you and continue swapping war stories round the bar?

2. Do the aircraft look clean and well cared for? Old-looking aircraft aren't necessarily a bad sign, but personally I prefer clean, well maintained and airworthy aircraft.

3. Will you always have the same instructor? How experienced is he/she? Meet said instructor and see if you think you'd get on well together.

4. Do they tell you at the outset how much ground school you will get/will need?

5. How much are landing fees? Are they included? They can cost you more than the flying if you learn at some SE airfields.

6. Do they offer "block discounts" (good, if you can pay for say 10 hours at a time), or ask for thousands upfront (walk away!)?

7. Talk to some students already there - and ask their view of the place. The good schools might even arrange for you to do that.

8. If in doubt, go elsewhere.

Five5
29th May 2002, 17:52
:D Many thanks to you all!

The advice you've all given has really helped and I've started to plan where to visit already.