PDA

View Full Version : Single Engine IFR

trolleydollylover
28th May 2002, 20:42
Can anybody point me towards where I can find info about single Engine IFR Regs. Especially future JAR/CAA controls and planning considerations. Is there anything on the Net or does anybody know the current regulations.
I have been told that currently there are no SE IFR flights in UK airspace, however with the implementation of the JAR Regs this will be allowed. Any views would be greatly appreciated.

QNH 1013
29th May 2002, 07:24
TDL,
Sorry I can't give you any references, but my information from various journals is that the CAA does not allow single-engine IFR for Public Transport Flights in the UK. There are no similar restrictions for Non-Public Transport S/E IFR flights so private S/E IFR flights are ok.
There are certainly S/E IFR flights in UK airspace and I often fly airways in S/E aircraft.
I would guess its all in the Air Navigation Order, but I'm afraid I don't have time to find you the reference.

QNH 1013

Keef
29th May 2002, 15:28
I've heard rumours that SE Commercial IFR will be allowed in the UK under JAR - but they are only rumours.

The restrictions are likely - at first, anyway - likely to be so tight as to make it hardly worth the effort.

Check the flying mags.

slim_slag
29th May 2002, 16:04
Is it single engine IFR helicopter operations that are prohibited in the UK?

2Donkeys
29th May 2002, 20:52
Keef:

Is it not Commercial Single Engle Turbine ops under IFR that our beloved CAA are contemplating. I don't think that this would do anything for the SEP crowd.

distaff_beancounter
29th May 2002, 21:16
slim-slag as far as I am aware, no IFR flights are permitted on any single engine helicopters, in the UK. This applies to private flights, training flights and AOC flights

Keef
29th May 2002, 22:13
2Donkeys: yes, I heard that too.

Counts as "single engine IFR" but not a lot of use to most single-engine endowed who'd like to do some commercial IFR.

Indeed fits my "so tight as to be hardly worth the effort".

I can understand the thinking: one turbine probably more reliable than two piston. I'm still glad I didn't buy into that Air Charter outfit...