PDA

View Full Version : Radar service across English Channel

marioair
20th Sep 2014, 21:32
interested in people's risk attitude in the following situation;

Channel Crossing, IMC rated, cloud base broken 2000 ft all the way to destination. Do you for the crossing:

A) stay VFR in sight
B) go IMC qudrantrals (and descend at the FIR, officer)
c) go IMC semi circular (and descend at the FIR, officer)

(Assume VFR on top not possible)

The reason this got me thinking;

1) what if someone doing the same in opposite direction (with an IR or EIR) and picks the opposite cruising rule
2) farnrbough east lars coverage runs out at lYdd, and Manston is gone, so who do you get a radar service for the cloud break whilst in London fir?

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Sep 2014, 22:18
or

D) Sod the rules, fly at 1' below the base of controlled airspace, 'cos I've only got one engine and that gives me the best chance of reaching land.

Talkdownman
20th Sep 2014, 22:28
the best chance of reaching land
……but your avatar says…

I'd rather be floating
!!

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Sep 2014, 22:33
Sure ... but there are no floatplanes to rent round here :{:{:{

I'm quite happy to fly at 100' over the sea when wearing floats (or whatever the minimum height for not upsetting the local whales is).

sharpend
21st Sep 2014, 07:56
Too many variables......

eg how many engines? I used to cross with 4 ;)

Romeo Tango
21st Sep 2014, 08:55
If you make the crossing on some random line (ie not from VOR to VOR) the chances of bumping into anyone are very small so choose your height according to taste and Her Majesty's regulations.

ChickenHouse
21st Sep 2014, 09:22
Hm, UK IMC rated can only be executed in the UK, or? This would mean at the middle of the channel you leave UK airspace (IMC rated IFR allowed) and enter i.e. France airspace (EASA land with no IMC rating). This would clearly mark stay VFR as only option.

marioair
21st Sep 2014, 09:31
Not really.....you could start off IMC and cloud break before the fir.

hegemon88
22nd Sep 2014, 07:30
E) Bin the cross-channel plan and either pick an inland route to practice IMC/shoot an odd ILS, or stay on the ground altogether and impress chicks in the bar by some pilot talk.

or:

F) Take advantage of the new CBM-IR, complete the course and go L10 RINTI TRACA etc. at FL90

:E

Seriously, I wouldn't go in these conditions or if they became apparent in flight, I would start planning a diversion = back to England.

/h88

piperboy84
22nd Sep 2014, 08:18
Have crossed the channel twice in the last week between Cherbourg to Solent, both times each side reporting VFR, both times I was on instruments for a good portion of the crossing due to dense haze where the only thing a I could see occasionally was the water by looking down out the side window no visual horizon at all. I can totally see how folks get caught out and end up in trouble.

S-Works
22nd Sep 2014, 10:06
I have two turbine engines and still flew from Teuge in Holland to Humberside at 1000ft yesterday..... :O:O

27/09
22nd Sep 2014, 10:20
VFR in sight