PDA

View Full Version : VFR Flight Guides

dublinpilot
28th May 2002, 12:25
Two questions

1. The UK VFR flight guides from pooleys, AFE etc.. do they include information on Irish airfields too? The descriptions always just say UK, but the covers generally have a nice big map, showing Ireland too!! If they do include Ireland, is it just the major airports such as Dublin Shannon etc., or do they include smaller airports such as weston, Kilrush, abbeyshrule etc..

2. Secondly I am hoping to make my first flight outside Ireland shortly. It's to the Isle of Mann. Would anyone be good enough to scan and email me the Isle of Mann page from a VFR flight guide to ? I'm hoping to go in the next few days, so not enough time to get one mail order.

Thanks.

LowNSlow
28th May 2002, 13:26
dublinpilot, Pooleys do a separate guide for Ireland which is laid out in the same manner as the UK version. My Pooleys (Uk & Eire) is currently 2,500 miles away so I can't scan you the Isle of Man page unfortunately.

If you lob into Newtonards (interesting approaches) enroute, they usually have them in stock. Good place to stop on the way back too cos they have a really good Chinese restaurant slap bang on the airfield. :D

Keef
28th May 2002, 13:47
Not used Pooleys or AFE for some years, but Bottlang allows you to specify which countries you want. They do "batches", depending on your preferences.

I have the UK/Ireland/France/Benelux version which suits me fine.

You can get the Isle of Man plates - all of them, including the ILS etc, at http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/pdf/ad/EGNS.htm

which is an address to keep well bookmarked!

Aussie Andy
28th May 2002, 14:34
The Bottlang UK includes Ireland. I prefer Bottlang as it gives you the big picture as you approach, as well as the field itself.

Will be interested to hear how IoM trip goes - keen on a trip there myself later in the year....

dublinpilot
28th May 2002, 16:05
Thanks guys for your reply.

Keefe-That address is really good-Thanks.

Low & Slow-I know about the Irish version of pooleys. I already had it, but unfortunatly it's gone missing!!

I won't really need a UK guide until next year, as this is likly to be my only trip outside Ireland this year.

I obviously need to replace my missing Irish guide. However I would pay the extra and get the UK one for interest sake, if it also included Ireland.

Thanks for the help.

Negative 'G'
28th May 2002, 18:30
If you just want an Irish guide then why not opt for the "Fly in Ireland" guide by AOPA, As far as I'm aware transair/pilot shops stock this for a bargain price of approx £7 and it includes far more small Irish airstrips than any of the other guides available.

Neg G