PDA

View Full Version : Majorca-VFR

Flyboy-F33
28th May 2002, 11:03
Planning to visit Majorca this July and I think heard someone say that Palma is closed to VFR traffic during the peak summer months,
This would mean having to use Son Bonnet. which I would prefer to avoid if possible. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Or should I be asking in a different forum?

:cool:

BRL
28th May 2002, 12:03
Hi. This is ok here. I have also copied it to the questions forum. Hope you get a result here. :)

dysynni
28th May 2002, 15:07
What is wrong with Son Bonet? I flew from there last September with no problems. The place is practically deserted, but there is a helpful bunch at the flying school who will order taxis etc. You are under Palma ATC anyway and not having to share a runway with airbuses etc! I found the experience very easy.

Roundouthigh
28th May 2002, 16:29
I flew into Palma from Ibizia last year, following a trip down from Biggin Hill. When we went Palma was closed to VFR traffic on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but open the rest of the time. It is an excellent airport, very friendly and cheap. I think it cost a tenner to land and have handling!!! Enjoy the trip.

rex
30th May 2002, 14:12
I went to Mallorca last November and flew from Son Bonnet. Strange that you had to fly 1000' or under because of airspace requirements of Las Palmas. I had good fun flying 500'along the south coast of this island. Funny thing was that ther wasn't a decent VFR map to be had so the local hire car map was the next best thing. All in all a good experience.

Have fun

REX:)

Fast Erect
30th May 2002, 16:16
I suspct you meant Palma, as Las Palmas is a good thousand or so miles away from LEPA:p

Splat
31st May 2002, 11:30
Concur with what's been said about Son Bonet. Flew out of there last summer, and it was certainly a strange place to visit. I half expected to have to dodge the tumble weed during taxi. Regs seem a tad odd, bit of an afterthought if you ask me.

Good fun and plenty of freedom - providing you stay below 1000' AGL (yes, realy) and stay out of Palma's hair. Go North, lot more scenic.

S

rex
31st May 2002, 13:43
Fast Erect.... I suppose I would do well on a nav exercise:D

I flew a D registered 172 from Megan Aviation. The a/c didn't have any headsets so I had to use a mike and listen to the speaker. Some spoke in English and some in Spanish. Weird

Splat.....Must agree about the tumbleweed though.

I might go there again and visit Menorca for a day trip.

REX

Splat
31st May 2002, 13:48
rex,

Must be the same one I flew. Did you go with that retired German MD80 chap?

Fun mind you.

S

rex
1st Jun 2002, 14:53
Splat

The registration was D - EHTT. Was it the same one?

REX

Belgian Chap
2nd Jun 2002, 19:59
I've just come back from my rock-climbing and flying holiday on Mallorca (24/05-31/05) and also flew the C172 from Megan Aviation (reg as above).
I found LESB (Son Bonnet) OK, all things considered (also the spanish way of life)! Megan people were very friendly and helpfull (checkflight, bottlang charts and VFR chart).
I'm planning on returning later this summer for some more hour-building.

Regards,

Belgian Chap

sharpshot
4th Jun 2002, 08:39
Flyboy - I will be on the ramp in Palma on 15th June. If that's not too late for you, I will get the G.A. Handling Agents Tel:/E-Mail for you and should be able to check the VFR restrictions.:cool: