PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Range - Quoted Figures

Doors to Automatic
9th Sep 2014, 10:25
Does anyone know if the quoted maximum range for an airliner (for example an A321neo has a quoted range of 3650nm at max load) is the actual furthest that the aircraft can fly or if an adjustment has to be made to take off contingency, reserves, diversion etc?

In other words can an A321neo fly for 3650nm before it goes into reserve fuel?

Thanks as always for any replies.

Intruder
9th Sep 2014, 23:28
Has an A321neo been built, test flown, and put into service?

Per the Airbus Aircraft Characteristics manual:

NOTE :
THESE CURVES ARE GIVEN FOR INFORMATION ONLY.
THE APPROVED VALUES ARE STATED IN THE "OPERATING
MANUALS" SPECIFIC TO THE AIRLINE OPERATING THE AIRCRAFT.

+TSRA
10th Sep 2014, 02:45
All the ranges given in the AFM I am currently looking at (DH8-300) state that range is given with "deicing systems off and at zero wind conditions." Furthermore, it gives an allowance in both time and fuel for taxi out, take-off, circuit and landing, taxi in and fuel for a 100 NM diversion plus fuel for 45 minutes at long range cruise at 5000 feet.

I would assume (there I go again, assuming) that Airbus would use a similar setup. However, whether or not that's what Bombardier (and, by extension to your question, Airbus) Marketing would think, I don't know...but marketing is a whole different universe in of itself.

Doors to Automatic
10th Sep 2014, 09:51
Thanks +TRSA - so it does include allowance for minimum diversion fuel.

My question was in general - I was only using the 321neo as an example.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
10th Sep 2014, 16:18
Certified data comes with defined assumptions and conditions. What those assumptions actually are will vary according to the operating rules, for example.

Contractual numbers 9in performance guarantees, say0 also come with defined conditions. those will vary by customer according to what they care about.

Published numbers could come from any of those sources, or company marketing, or ... . Any details of the conditions may be deleted or omitted in the process of the number being "advertised".

Bluntly, i would be quite wary of a detailed comparison and of assuming the conditions a specific number was based on. I'd want to see the fine print!