PDA

View Full Version : RAF Flying Badge - Silver Sixpence?

TyroPicard
28th May 2002, 09:20
Have just heard of a Royal Air Force tradition of inserting a silver sixpence underneath the Flying Badge. Complete surprise to me, and I wondered:

1. True or false?
2. First set of wings or all of them?
3. When and why did the tradition start?

Thanks in advance, TP

kippermate
28th May 2002, 17:25
What's a sixpence ?:confused:

Dr Schlong
28th May 2002, 17:48
I may be well off the mark but I believe it originated from the old days when you could ring the squadron to tell them you were OK if you had to make an unscheduled landing in a field.

As for the rest of it I haven't a clue but I shall ask a man who may remember those hallowed days of aviation... "Hello is that BEagle?!" :D

Axel-Flo
28th May 2002, 17:59
I was told about the silver sixpence story by an old time aviator, when there were still lots of them around in the crew room (the type who would smoke a pipe in first class, at low level ). Unfortunately though I never found out why, just that it should be done. I have a silver sixpence behind my flying badge, the one on my No 1 that is (and it still fits).
It (the flying badge) was also dunked in champagne, Vintage Dom P......53 I think, same old geezer told us scrotes at the time of it being traditional too. Laterly I have seen, at various grads, students discuss the silver sixpence thing and wander round antique shops trying to find one. The dunking thing now seems to be done in beer or even worse lager.......just no style left really.

Night NVG Goggles
28th May 2002, 19:01
1. Yes it is true.
2. Most people only put the sixpence under the brevet/wings on No. 1's.
3. Not sure when the tradition started, but it is partially done for good luck. Also the sixpence also makes the brevet sit out slightly proud.

Champagne drunked brevets are becoming more of a tradition these days. Only mine had to be in Guinness!

Chris Kebab
29th May 2002, 06:44
Certainly is true, I recall the tailor (some time ago now!) asking me if I had one to put behind.

I always thought it was simply to raise the centre and avoid that little furrow you occassionally see through the letters RAF in the centre.

Like the phone call tale however - but didn't phone boxes in the good old days take old pennies? Push button A etc!

Bof
29th May 2002, 07:14
All very true. At Thornhill in Rhodesia (sorry, Zimb--) in late 52 we couldn't get sixpenny pieces and used local "tikkies" - worth about the same. As I recall it was part tradition, part "lucky"and partly to push out the central crown of the flat cheapy wings we wore on KD and flying suits. Ah, those were the days.

Emerson Cahooners
29th May 2002, 08:51
I'm led to believe that the brilcream boys believed it would stop the fatal bullet.

One of those awesome traditions that should be protected.

MrBernoulli
29th May 2002, 14:07
Bof

Surely you must remember that a tickey was actually three pence - hardly "about the same" as sixpence! The Rhodesian tickey continued post-decimalisation as 2 and a half cents.

Arkroyal
30th May 2002, 09:16
Old phone boxes took pennies, and their replacements took thrup'ney bits.

As for the Tanner, it at least made a pair of crab wings worth sixpence!

Now....Navy wings are made of gold.

Incooooooooommmmmmmiiiiiiingg!!!!!

:D :eek: :) :cool:

AdrianShaftsworthy
30th May 2002, 09:42
Morning ArkRoyal,
Congrats on your recent 'hitching'. Hope you're still enjoying the 'FW' life. Looking forward to a few ales with the boys in the not too distant future! Oh yes, I too can confirm Navy wings are made of gold..................................... An old Oppo!

Night NVG Goggles
30th May 2002, 16:59
Arkroyal

Just like the rivet then?:D

tony draper
30th May 2002, 22:28
Ouch, ten points
;)

TyroPicard
4th Jun 2002, 16:18
Thanks for the gen .. and the banter.

My newly bewinged offspring is now pesterin me for a bucket of champers!

cheers!! TP

Axel-Flo
4th Jun 2002, 19:21
TP,
Why not try a bottle of something vintage from the year he was born. But make sure you get your hands on his flying badge after its presentation and dunk it before one of his peers sticks in fizzy p*$$ ...:D

raytofclimb
6th Jun 2002, 13:47
My two winged nipple bat has a sixpence behind it. Old seamstress on the windy isle wont stitch wings on without one.

Supposedly '....an Officer shall always carry enough change for a shoe-shine and a shave'

The tradition is still generally upheld, at least, it was on my course not too long ago. Most Grannies have a handfull of predecimal coins somewhere.

Its probably in QRs but never bothered to look. I did however find the one about inspecting the underwear of subordinates........... anyone out there taken the liberty?

Ray.

BOAC
6th Jun 2002, 18:29
Its probably in QRs but never bothered to look. I did however find the one about inspecting the underwear of subordinates........... anyone out there taken the liberty?

WHHAAT!

Have you seen my privates?

Arkroyal
8th Jun 2002, 13:45
Thats Tanner, not Tenner.

Now you lucky folk, some unscrupulous Manx barman has taken advantage of my post TT celebrations by shortchanging me to the tune of 2½ pence.

Instead of a 5p, I have a sixpence in my pocket, which I'll donate to any fledgling crustation who needs one.

Adrianshaftsetc. Haven't guessed your ID yet. Clues and a lead on JCP tickets appreciated.

;)

Mr C Hinecap
8th Jun 2002, 13:49
BOAC - QR 2224 - or 2024 - has been removed. Inspection of Airmen's underwear was my finest weapon - carried more clout than the threat of a charge! Especially when they saw it was a legit QR! :D :D