PDA

View Full Version : FAA 1st Class Medical

Byrne11
2nd Sep 2014, 23:27
Hey, I'm going for my first FAA 1st class medical before i begin my flight training in the USA.
I've goggled and looked about but not sure what the test involves.
I wear glasses but have been informed by my optician my eyes are grand, could someone tell me whats it involved how long it lasts etc? much appreciated.

Intruder
3rd Sep 2014, 20:57
Any "first" medical exam will be more involved than subsequent exams by the same doctor, since he will have to review your history more thoroughly. May take 30 minutes to a couple hours, depending on your history.

First of all, you MUST open an account and fill out the on-line application at https://medxpress.faa.gov/

Save the confirmation number AND a copy of the form. The doctor will need AT LEAST the number, and may want the form.

Depending on age, eye test covers 2 or 3 distance ranges. EKG may be required. Urine test for diabetes as a minimum. Other standard exams of heart, lung, ear, etc. Read FAR 61.23, FAR 67, and the Medxpress user guide for more info.

LTCTerry
4th Sep 2014, 17:39
Depending on your prescription strength you may be required to carry a spare pair of glasses. I have for many years.