PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Aerobatics

pholooh
27th May 2002, 22:42
I'm at the beginning of my flight training. Aerobatics is one of my major interests at the moment. I will like any advise on what steps i can take towards a career competitive air'batics. It's something i intend to do part time though'
Thanks.

PPRuNe Pop
27th May 2002, 22:48
This topic is now in the Private Flying Forum.

FlyingForFun
28th May 2002, 13:50
Hmm, no replies yet. It's not something I know much about, but I'll reply anyway - maybe it might at least prompt people to reply and correct all the crap I'm about to tell you :D

First of all, there are two distinct areas that you might be interested in - competition aerobatics, and display aerobatics. They're not the same - although there is obviously a lot of overlap.

You talk about "career" flying - but you will not get paid for competition aerobatics. It's purely a way to improve your skills and compare them to those of other pilots, and have fun along the way. There is an organisation which regulates all competition aerobatics, from the basic level where everyone starts, up to "unlimited" level, which is where the very best pilots compete on an international arena - can't remember what they're called, but a quick search on the web should find them.

Display flying is different to competition flying in that you're not comparing your flying to other pilots, and you're not out to impress the judges, you're only out to impress the crowd. Because you'll be much lower than for competition, there is a far higher level of skill required - not to mention all the paperwork which exempts you from the normal low-flying rules. In practice, I think there are only two ways of getting into this type of flying. There are a few professional display teams out there. No idea how you'd go about getting hired, but I'd guess being ex-military would be a big bonus. Or else, own an interesting aeroplane and get invited to displays - but whether you'd be able to be paid enough to call this a "career" I'm not sure.

Whatever you do, if you're going to be paid for flying, you'll need a CPL of course. But if you're not being paid, a PPL will be sufficient.

As for what to do next - get your PPL first. Then find a reputable aerobatics training institution. Then practice. It will be a long road, but enjoy the journey, don't focus too much on the goal, and you'll have fun!

Now, someone else please reply and give pholooh some real advice!

FFF
-------------

Shaggy Sheep Driver
28th May 2002, 15:03
FFF's advice sounds good. The organisation for competition aeros is the British Aerobatic Association. Not only will you not get paid for comp aeros, it is not a cheap sport since not only do you you need a suitable aeroplane, you also (if you intend to do well) have to practise - and practise - a lot.

Display aeros requires a Display Authorisation from CAA. Not easy to get, even for simple fly-byes and stuff. And as FFF said, you need a CPL if you are being paid to fly. And it's dangerous. I myself have seen several kill themselves in the 20-odd years I've been flying. Low level aeros is TOTALLY unforgiving - you only ever make one mistake.

The only guy I know of who has made a living from aeros displaying is Brian Lecomber. If you turn out to be half as good as him, you will be very good indeed.

Get the PPL, then do aeros for fun. If you take to it, enter some comps. When you have some experience, and if you still fancy it, go for a DA. But don't expect to make money out of it.

SSD

Token Bird
28th May 2002, 18:29
Try the following link:

British Aerobatics Association (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/).

I've been doing a bit of investigation into this myself recently.

TB ;)

DB6
28th May 2002, 20:13
To enter competitions you first need to be a member of the BAeA (see link last post). Competitions take place approx. monthly throughout the summer - next one is at Breighton, Yorks on 7/8 June. You can start at Beginners level in a Cessna Aerobat or similar, which will get you to Standard level but much beyond that and you'll need something a bit more capable. The best way to learn about competitions is to come along and see one, spectating is free as is your first beginners comp. I entered my first last month and had a great time - see you at Breighton :D

essouira
28th May 2002, 20:25
Aerobatics is a lot of fun but just be aware that you get rid of money slower if you throw it onto a bonfire.................................