PDA

View Full Version : Min. Descent Rate on European Airspace

Brotti
31st Aug 2014, 09:13
Hello Guys ,
I don't know if this has been discussed before ( if so , sorry to bother ) , this was maybe the 5th time that I heard from different captains that , during a descent on european airspace ( Germany - not on STAR , right after TOD ) , minimum descent rate should be min. 1500 fpm and insisting on that it was a regulation. Is there any regulation like this and any ref. would highly be appreciated.
Thanks.

BOAC
31st Aug 2014, 10:19
Generally 500fpm in ICAO, although you will need to check the AIP for each country to be certain. There is no requirement to maintain this if other 'operational' constraints require.

I suspect ATC would expect a 'jet' to descend at 1000-1500' fpm normally, however.

de facto
31st Aug 2014, 12:58
Did they show you the actual regulation?:E

lederhosen
31st Aug 2014, 13:02
These days ATC often instruct us to descend at one thousand feet per minute or more. A lot of destinations in Germany (and elsewhere) involve ATC giving you an earlier descent than ideal due to air traffic constraints. If 1000 was the accepted minimum then this would be superfluous. I am with BOAC that 500 feet per minute is a reasonable minimum.

de facto
31st Aug 2014, 13:16
Always used 500 to rejoin a profile and as a minimum for cdfa...never been bothered about it flying in Asia,Africa,Europe and USA.

Tom!
31st Aug 2014, 15:16
These days ATC often instruct us to descend at one thousand feet per minute or more. A lot of destinations in Germany (and elsewhere) involve ATC giving you an earlier descent than ideal due to air traffic constraints. If 1000 was the accepted minimum then this would be superfluous. I am with BOAC that 500 feet per minute is a reasonable minimum.

I tend to agree with that.
Last year I was visiting MUAC and I asked about a callsign flashing amber "LVL" on the screen. Reason for it was his rate of climb dropped below 500fpm. So do less and bells and whistles start going off on the controllers screen.

INeedTheFull90
31st Aug 2014, 19:50
I've been told in the London TMA that the minimum ROD is 700fpm. Maybe someone can clarify this?

de facto
1st Sep 2014, 11:11
LookingForAJob
Good for you. I wonder if the rules ever said something different?

Please enlighten me,all ears.

de facto
3rd Sep 2014, 21:00
Also a max of 8000 fpm.

Then i guess you would go into the emergency descent straight ahead UK special procedure:E

Thanks for digging,at least someone did here.:ok: