PDA

View Full Version : Correct technique using rapit exit to vacate runway

airbuspic
27th Aug 2014, 03:52
I was trying to look for training or operation references mentioned how big jets utilize rapid exit taxiway to vacate runway.
Ex:suggested speeds,using pedal,tiller,differential braking?
But couldn't find a thing!
Any references available or recommended procedures?

Thanks

captainng
27th Aug 2014, 09:25
if the runway has the markings (ie 3lines 2lines 1line slanted towards the exit i use 100kts at 3lines, 80kts at 2lines and 60kts at 1line and you should enter the exit at 45kts as recomended.
for the 73ng either autobrake two and reverse or autobrake three and idle reverse are more than adequate for braking. if i am more than 10 kts above the 100kt point the braking needs to be heavier but i wouldn't go for the exit if above 60 kt at 1 line.

hope that helps

Skyjob
27th Aug 2014, 09:28
At higher than taxi speeds tiller inputs should NOT be used for directional control.
The nose wheel steering wheel is used to turn the nose wheels through the full range of travel at low taxi speeds.

Differential braking is something that on large commercial aircraft is NOT advisable.
Under normal conditions, differential braking and braking while turning should be avoided.

Best technique is with rudder pedals which deflect rudder and nose wheel (limited travel) which at speed of ~45kt should be more than adequate for the RET.
Once clear and speed reduced further, tiller input is required for sharper turns at low speed.

Lord Spandex Masher
27th Aug 2014, 09:39
and you should enter the exit at 45kts as recomended.

Be careful with that. Some RETs have a specific speed limit. I can think of one which is not above 25kts.

Make sure you check the AIS.

compressor stall
27th Aug 2014, 13:11
Different parts of the world have different design speeds.

ICAO design standard is 50 kts WET. No dry figure. But not everyone designs to that....

airbuspic
28th Aug 2014, 01:22
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it

Musket90
29th Aug 2014, 19:15
The angle of RET may also affect exit speed. Stansted for example has two RETS serving both runway directions but the first RETs (original design) are a 30 deg angle and the second RETs (newer design) are 25 degs with wider entry from the runway to facilitate faster exit speeds. Gatwick has similar angle differences on some RETs. As mentioned, providing distance to go markings/lighting (RETILS), particularly on busy runways, can help pilots plan the exit speed more effectively therefore reducing runway occupancy times. Trials have been carried out which confirm this.

JeroenC
3rd Sep 2014, 21:54
Hmm, i always thought that unless noted standard RET speed is 60 kts. Does anybody know any reference docs?

Lord Spandex Masher
3rd Sep 2014, 22:23
Jeroen, the one I was referring to is only noted in the AIP and not on ANY of the charts.

Intruder
4th Sep 2014, 00:03
According to the FAA AIM:

HIGH SPEED TAXIWAY− A long radius taxiway designed and provided with lighting or marking to define the path of aircraft, traveling at high speed (up to 60 knots), from the runway center to a point on the center of a taxiway. Also referred to as long radius exit or turn-off taxiway. The high speed taxiway is designed to expedite aircraft turning off the runway after landing, thus reducing runway occupancy time.

JeroenC
5th Sep 2014, 11:02
Tnx gents.

Tom!
5th Sep 2014, 12:10
It's all in http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/cap168.pdf
7.9 Rapid Exit Taxiways ( Chapter 3 Page 17)
For the design/curve and speed regulations, surprisingly enough in km/h!