PDA

View Full Version : RNP-1

Rocket3837
26th Aug 2014, 20:49
Hello all,

Is GNSS required in order to fly RNP1 SIDs/STARs?
I did some reading in the ICAO PBN manual but could not find clear cut for my question.
I fly A320 with no GPS installed.

Thanks

Intruder
26th Aug 2014, 23:55
RNP-1 certification is required, either in the basic Airplane Flight Manual or via Supplemental Type Certificate. Can you get your airplane certified without GNSS? Some GNSS installations can't even be certified below RNP-5, due to [lack of] other installed equipment...

In the US, FAA Advisory Circular 20-138D (Sec 6-4, 6-8, 7-3, 9) discusses requirements for RNAV-1/2 and RNP-1/2 using INS/IRU with DME-DME updating equipment

Station_Calling
27th Aug 2014, 18:52
No. You can fly it with DME / DME updating, coupled with appropriate training and monitoring. No requirement for GNSS / GPS.

Rocket3837
28th Aug 2014, 04:28
Thanks guys,

But how would I know whether the GNSS is required by looking at the STAR chart. The chart only says RNP-1 and doesnot specify GNSS or DME/DME/IRU

Intruder
28th Aug 2014, 07:11
If it says RNP-1, then that is the requirement. If the airplane is certified and crew are trained for RNP-1, and your Op Specs allow RNP-1 operations, then you can fly the procedure. If ANY of the above 3 requirements is missing, you are NOT allowed to fly the procedure.

If there is an exception, e.g., "GNSS required", then it will be explicitly stated on the procedure chart.