PDA

View Full Version : Routing division between CPT and FO

I-WEBA
25th Aug 2014, 15:41
Hi everybody.
I'm really curious how usually divide a 4 sectors day between CPT and FO as PF and PNF.
For example, a 4 sectors as:
MXP-LGW
LGW-MXP
MXP-BCN
BCN-MXP

Cpt will be PF the 1st and 3rd flight and FO will be PF the 2nd and 4th flight?

Thank you in advance For your kind disposability.

pudoc
25th Aug 2014, 16:17
The standard in my company is for FOs to do the 1st and 4th. This isn't written anywhere but Capts seem to find those 2 the worse so delegate them to us.

This does change according to how we are feeling and weather and it can be any random order, but I'd say 70% of the time it's as above.

Dash8driver1312
25th Aug 2014, 17:55
Standard in my outfit is that a crewmember will fly one leg outbound and one leg inbound, unless there is a regulatory requirement that a place is captain's landing only.

I-WEBA
25th Aug 2014, 18:32
Thank you guys.
I thought the first flight was performed most of the times by the captain.

Piltdown Man
25th Aug 2014, 21:30
I ask "What would you like to do? Do you have any preferences?" As far as I am concerned my colleague can do whatever he or she wants. Some want night hours, some want to do a visual approach, some want the longer legs. I'll help in any way I can.

parabellum
25th Aug 2014, 21:59
In the case quoted above,

MXP-LGW
LGW-MXP
MXP-BCN
BCN-MXP

If all else is equal, weather, etc. I would split the sectors to 1 and 4 and 2 and 3, this gives a variety of different departures and arrivals then, like Piltdown Man, I would ask the FO what he wanted to do.

pudoc
26th Aug 2014, 11:18
When a Cpt says "what do you want to do" I know I'm in for a nice day.

Denti
26th Aug 2014, 11:56
In the case of the OPs route mix there are two different ways to divide them between both pilots we usually use. One is the 1-4 and 2-3 way, the other one is 1-2 and 3-4. Simply said, most guys do not like to do both their landings at the same airport, a little mix and match makes it more interesting.

Whoever does the first sector depends, there is no rule about that in my outfit. The only rule is that sectors have to be divided evenly, if a captain is unwilling to do that it is a reason for disciplinary action. Of course which sectors are flown by who is in the end the PICs decision, usually depending on weather, fatigue levels and so on. The only exception to that is of course training, where the trainee usually gets more sectors initially, especially on a new type.

mad_jock
26th Aug 2014, 12:21
I am in the "what do you want" camp as well.

And if I get an "all of them" I just smile and they get all of them.

They normally don't do that twice after a 6 sector day.

Sidestick_n_Rudder
26th Aug 2014, 18:03
Brilliant, Madjock! :ok:

Gotta try it out next time :E

I-WEBA
26th Aug 2014, 18:17
Thank you all guys!

I-WEBA
26th Sep 2014, 10:51
Just for curiosity a five day sector as this one, how would you split?

NAP-CTA
CTA-NAP
NAP-MXP
MXP OLB
OLB MXP

JeroenC
27th Sep 2014, 01:11
Mad-jock: "all of them": they get the paperwork as well then. Lets practise "pilot incapacitation" for 4 sectors😂. I'll just monitor!

To OP: it's as said above: if company policy doesn't dictate captain's landing, wx doesn't require Cat3 or Monitored approach, runway/wind conditions are not outside FO limits, then no company policy. So I let them choose. Usually it's "doesn't matter, what would u like". Errrgg, I just asked U!!
Mostly I take the second then, so I can do the walk around and enter a setup flightdeck. Sometimes I'm a masochist😂