PDA

View Full Version : Safety standards for community service flights conducted on a voluntary basis

C206driver
18th Aug 2014, 09:56
B*stards!

It was always a matter of time before the bureaucratic intervention.

"Background
In this DP, the term 'community service flight' is used to describe flights that are provided on a voluntary basis for public benefit. The term refers only to non-emergency flights provided as part of an organised voluntary or charitable activity and does not include the 'one-off' type of flight in which a pilot provides a flight to a friend or family member.
The purpose of this DP is to stimulate discussion and invite comment from interested members of the public and the aviation industry about how community service flights should be regulated under new Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 (CASR).
Volunteer organisations that bring together aircraft owners and pilots to provide voluntary public benefit flights to persons remote from some services have been operating in Australia since 2003. These organisations provide valuable community services by transporting community members to medical services that might otherwise be geographically out of their reach and, in some cases, transporting people to visit a hospitalised family member.
Community service flights are potentially open to a wide section of the community and are conducted by pilots with varying experience and qualification levels. Similarly, unless controls are put in place, the aircraft involved could potentially vary from an amateur-built experimental aircraft through to a turbine powered corporate aircraft. As community service flights become more widely used, the variable pilot qualifications and aircraft certification and maintenance standards become significant potential risk factors. CASA must consider and regulate appropriately to protect against an unreasonable level of risk in order to maintain an acceptable level of safety for the pilots, their passengers and the public.
This DP explains CASA's considerations for selection of an appropriate standard and describes a number of potential options for future regulatory change. CASA recognises the valuable contribution that industry consultation makes to the regulatory development process. CASA issues this DP as the first stage of consideration. The purpose of a DP is to canvas a range of options that consider whether it is appropriate for an Air Operator's Certificate (AOC) to be required for community service flights, or if other mechanisms may be more appropriate for the purpose of accommodating these types of flights while ensuring that acceptable standards of safety are maintained.
Documents
18 August 2014
DP 1317OS - Preamble (376KB)
ANNEX A - Response Form (44KB)
How to respond
Please forward your response to CASA by 10 October 2014 by one of the following means:
Post (no stamp required in Australia)
Reply Paid 2005
Standards Documentation Coordinator
CASA's Standards Development and Quality Assurance Branch
Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
email (use the response format in the DP) [email protected]
Additional information
Email: [email protected]"

C206driver
18th Aug 2014, 09:58
Dear Angel Flight supporter,

You may all be aware of the discussion paper which has been issued by CASA in relation to charity flights.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - DP 1317OS (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_102133)

We have previously made personal representations to Minister Truss's senior advisers on this matter. We take the position that the intervention of CASA is unnecessary, unwarranted, and unreasonable. In short, there is nothing about our charity’s operation that needs addressing. There has been no demonstrated safety issue arising out of Angel Flight’s already greater than 16,500 missions and therefore the 'safety authority' appears to be introducing, in the circumstances, bureaucratic intervention which does not appear to us to have any foundation.

We will be addressing the discussion paper in more detail and submitting our response in late September. All pilots have the right to respond individually or through their own aviation business/employer. Angel Flight will do so only as a charitable organisation, as we are not an aviation entity.

Yours sincerely,

Bill Bristow AM
Founder and Managing Director

To unsubscribe please send an email to [email protected] with 'Unsubscribe' as the subject heading.

Capt Casper
18th Aug 2014, 10:04
We obviously have too many people in CASA with time on their hands and hands in our pockets!!!!!!!!!!

BlatantLiar
18th Aug 2014, 10:09
I actually projectile vomited all over my monitor when I read this. Only just managed to finish cleaning it. I think I still have some on the webbing of my fingers. Some may say TMI, but it's what CAsA does to a person.

bankrunner
18th Aug 2014, 10:20
Can't think of anything the CASA job creation scheme needs to address that isn't already covered by part 91 :ok:

YPJT
18th Aug 2014, 10:42
This no doubt has come about as a result of the tragic fatality of an Angelflight in Aug 2011.

Jack Ranga
18th Aug 2014, 10:45
What do you think CAsA would do when people are killed using this service?

BlatantLiar
18th Aug 2014, 10:55
Pilots murder people all time, its aviation. Get over it.

Jack Ranga
18th Aug 2014, 10:59
Nothing for me to get over, I'm alright.........Jack. Reads like you whingers need to get over it ;)

mattyj
18th Aug 2014, 11:10
Rumour has it that the accident in 2011 happened because the pilot had recently filled out an application for an ASIC and also made enquiries about getting his BFR done and his head literally exploded at the controls..CASA 100% responsible.

andrewr
18th Aug 2014, 11:21
The discussion paper actually seems mostly reasonable. It sounds like they want to allow the flights, but increase the minimum standards required.

Many of the suggestions seem like a good idea, e.g. max 6 POB, VFR by day only (IFR day or night).

Not so keen on the idea of another self administering aviation organization to regulate it though.

thorn bird
18th Aug 2014, 11:28
All that tells me is there is no doubt CAsA is determined to kill off any form of aviation in Australia!!

Ultralights
18th Aug 2014, 11:55
i think Mr Bill Bristow has described CASA in this one line

introducing, in the circumstances, bureaucratic intervention which does not appear to us to have any foundation.

could almost be CASA's new mandate..

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Aug 2014, 12:39
A copy of my post in 'the other' thread.....

Guys / Gals,
I have done, and will still do, I hope, 'Angel Flights', because I reckon that 'its a nice thing to do'.

I fly 'Angel Flights' in a well maintained 'VH' registered aircraft.
I have cancelled / delayed a few flights because the weather / fog / cloud was not VFR. And I am a VFR oldie pilot.....

The passengers always have a 'Plan B'.

I insist on it - and I am reliably informed by Angel Flight that it is in their brief to the intending pax as well.

There is no 'pressure' to get the job done - period!

In my mind - its a totally private operation, operated by suitably qualified and experienced pilots who simply want to 'put something back' and do so - with the above qualifications / limitations....

IF the CASA see 'fit to make this service 'the equivalent of an RPT flight' then it will achieve exactly NOTHING - EXCEPT to kill the service and the initiative - and affect those who need the service most - THOSE 'IN NEED' of a bit of assistance in their medical misfortune.

A glance at the Angel Flight list of volunteer pilots show mostly very experienced, often retired, pilots who 'know when to hold them and when to fold them'.....

Leave it alone!!

No cheers

Jack Ranga
18th Aug 2014, 12:52
Ahhhhhh, Griffo, but you are a wise old man. And some are not as ultruistic as you glasssshoppahhh.

scotton
18th Aug 2014, 15:28
But this is 3 years latter ?

tail wheel
18th Aug 2014, 20:12
Please refer to this thread: http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/545870-casa-now-wants-control-community-flights-what-next.html