PDA

View Full Version : Crossing over of taxiway on the apron, legality.

TwoTone-7
18th Aug 2014, 03:31
Morning.

I'm operating out of an airport where routinely ATC are instructing aircraft to cross taxiway midway i.e not via taxi routes depicted on the charts for the aerodrome. It can be rather adhoc at times and instructions given such as "on taxiway L2, cross over onto L3" this cross over is a free style manoeuvre and not via say, taking L2 till the end making a turn an joining L3 properly.

Are there any legal implications of this?

Thanks!

TwoTone-7
18th Aug 2014, 09:16
Thanks!

I have tried to find the relevant information online and on the charts but have been unable to do so.

What concerns me is being told to make a short cut on the apron. For example, I'm on taxiway A and then told to join parallel taxiway b which is separated by perhaps 30m. It feels unprofessional and furthermore there is no designated marking to follow. Just a "free" turn.

Tarq57
18th Aug 2014, 10:23
I'd suggest a phone call to the tower (or a visit) to ask for clarification.

It may fit in with the airport authority's procedures.
Or it mightn't.

Until you know, you're not really in a position to judge whether it's professional, illegal, or unsafe.

TwoTone-7
18th Aug 2014, 13:31
Regardless the basis of being within the legal framework or no. Professionalism, legality do not always underpin safety. I feel randomly turning on a taxiway to be improper in my opinion. That is to say because in my opinion, there ought to be a reason for the designated taxi ways?

You do however raise one valid point which is to contact the tower itself for clarification. I shall keep this in mind.

Many thanks ". :)