PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Sharjah

sharpshooter41
14th Aug 2014, 06:54
In the last week or so, late afternoon arrival into Sharjah from the East have become interesting to say the least.

Firstly, the ATIS continues to mention ILS 30, so you prepare/brief for an ILS approach. UAE control then regulates your descent with ELELA 2X arrival in mind.

It is only when you change to Dubai Approach that things get interesting. Not only are you told that RNAV or Visual approaches are being accepted but are then given a shortcut to position ULERA.

So now you have to change the arrival in the FMS as well as figure a way to lose altitude as you are way above the profile.(Btw, RNAV approach is supposed to be a stabilized approach; Vapp at FAF)

My humble suggestion is that an early descent be given if the traffic is light and a shortcut is being planned.

Btw is it only me, or others have also experienced the same??

ChickenHouse
14th Aug 2014, 07:53
Never been there, but similar observation at other places - it is getting increasingly common to find ATIS locked on "expect ILS approach" and then cleared for something totally different. I started treating the ATIS as information that somebody else might be on the ILS, no information for me and frequently asking ATC what to expect at landing field.

J.L.Seagull
14th Aug 2014, 08:33
Get used to it! :)

Background: Due to WIP all over the airfield, (new runway, new taxiways, etc), the ILS will not be available during daylight hours - except during the workmen's lunch break. You might be lucky to get the ILS between 1pm and 3pm LT.

So expect the RNAV during the day. The ATIS used to mention that the ILS is not available. If it doesn't, you have every right to complain to the SHJ controllers. If it persists, raise an ASR.

ELELA 2X is such a twisted long-winded STAR, nobody who flies here regularly really wants to do it. Expect to be at 10000ft at ELELA, and then descend ASAP to get your direct ULERA.

But remember, you're not forced to accept the direct. Just request more track miles, or say UNABLE and follow the entire STAR.

10 DME ARC
14th Aug 2014, 12:53
I think we have been here before!
ATIS? No idea in DXB approach we have no access to SHJ ATIS unlike all of the other airports we work! Could have just changed as WIP some days is off/on at times??
Direct ULERA? Don't take it if you cannot do it! I guess you are an infrequent visitor to SHJ as most airlines jump at a straight in and are ready for it??
Decent - Is restricted due airspace but 6A should be given 5nm before ELELA, again if you cannot do it refuse!!
Change arrival in FMS?? So you program direct to ULERA?? Not difficult its on the STAR any way?

ATC will be happy to give extra miles but tell us early as the options run out the nearer in you get. Plus the routing effects others so don't just accept and end up going around or needing repositioning later when some one else could have been No1!

sharpshooter41
14th Aug 2014, 17:45
Thank you for the replies.

10 DME ARC

- Change arrival in FMS

Yes, point ULERA is already there but we need to change arrival from ILS to an RNAV as well as feed-in Vapp at the FAF. (RNAV is supposed to be a stabilized approach)

- Direct ULERA

Like all airlines we also look forward to shortcuts and to refuse one is quite difficult.(Would you expect a child to refuse a candy bar).

Solution

The problem is that direct distance between point ELELA and ULERA is less. The STAR constraints at point ELELA mentions ( -11000, 230 knots). So, if I'm allowed to cross ELELA at around 7000 ft, I can comfortably make it direct to ULERA.

However, if held above 10,000 ft till beyond ELELA and then given direct ULERA, the situation is different.

10 DME ARC
14th Aug 2014, 19:02
Sharpshooter41 - ah I see next time just ask to stay on STAR and say you will advise when you can accept direct ULERA. Get some height off and set up then ask if direct still available. Like I said before don't just accept it if you're not ready.
Cheers
10D

sharpshooter41
15th Aug 2014, 05:47
10 DME ARC

Thanks. You have been most helpful.