PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet Switzerland

Tripple Click
8th Aug 2014, 17:44
Has anyone some information concerning salary for new joiners with some experience (over 2500 h, mostly on Airbus) and working conditions?

WhyByFlier
8th Aug 2014, 19:42
Unfortunately it's currently not great with a pay by the hour contract for new joiners giving on average (if you were lucky enough to be rostered 75 hours every month to reach your 900 hour legal limit:}) 4500 CHFs a month before tax , no other benefits and all your own expenses.

atakacs
8th Aug 2014, 22:42
Unfortunately it's currently not great with a pay by the hour contract for new joiners giving on average (if you were lucky enough to be rostered 75 hours every month to reach your 900 hour legal limit) 4500 CHFs a month before tax , no other benefits and all your own expenses.

Ok might be missing something but why take up new joiners if they can't give them 75h / month !?

WhyByFlier
9th Aug 2014, 06:29
Yeah you are missing something. EASA absolute limit is 1000 hours and the company target for a 100% employee is 850 hours with a limit of 900 hours a year. There are 12 months in a year. Do the maths. You can not be a pilot if you think 'only 75 hours a month' is not much.

These contractors have no basic pay - if they don't fly, they aren't paid. They are only paid per scheduled block hour. It's the ultimate in efficiency. They are a flying hour 'accumulator' - there to make up the shortfall.

atakacs
9th Aug 2014, 11:31
WhyByFlier: thanks for those clarifications - wasn't aware the EZS was actually doing this, I thought all regular pilots had a monthly retainer + hours flown - is it standard practice nowadays ?

Tripple Click
9th Aug 2014, 14:17
So is it better to apply for Naples/AMS or another base in Europe?
Because payed by the hour doesn't sound great. Any chance that the contract will improve again?

wind check
9th Aug 2014, 15:53
Nope, there is a very simple rule in this industry: the working conditions, benefits and salary will only get worse and worse. This is for 3 reasons:

1/ people want to go from A to B for as cheap as possible

2/ 19 years old cadets will accept any :mad: deal if they can have to opportunity to wear the uniform of their wet dreams and share their selfies on facebook and youtube.

3/ modern aircraft nowdays are extremely easy to operate and are very reliable. When the job is easy, the salary is low.

Hobo
9th Aug 2014, 16:16
2/ 19 years old cadets will accept any :mad: deal if they can have to opportunity to wear the uniform of their wet dreams and share their selfies on facebook and youtube.

3/ modern aircraft nowdays are extremely easy to operate and are very reliable. When the job is easy, the salary is low.

wind check - You should remember, this is the "Professional Pilots" Rumour network.

Comments like this are indicative of neither.

RAT 5
9th Aug 2014, 16:18
modern aircraft nowdays are extremely easy to operate and are very reliable. When the job is easy, the salary is low.

Careful with such bold sweeping statements. The number of perfectly serviceable a/c being stuffed into terra firma might contradict your comment.

wind check
9th Aug 2014, 16:45
Oh my dear Rat 5, you deserve to be applauded every time you land :p:p:p

RAT 5
10th Aug 2014, 07:02
It is a fact of life that every time I take off I will have to land, eventually. It is the quality of that event that is judged. If is on the correct airfield at the correct time with less than teeth rattling impact then applause might be merited. If it is otherwise, as seems to be an increasing occurrence, then I expect questions to be asked and enquires to be made into competence.

It could also be your comments might be 'tongue in cheek'. As a 44 year old, or more, I wonder why you wish to demean your profession when its image needs enhancing. The more you spout those thoughts the more you will encourage its demise.

Griego
10th Aug 2014, 07:40
Anyone an idea how many people they need for the swiss bases. And do typerated go before non typerated?

The Puzzler
17th Aug 2014, 08:19
Windcheck, what a naive and ignorant comment

JosuaNkomo
17th Aug 2014, 08:47
I think windcheck has summed it up very well. I have been an orange person for 15 + years and I cannot fault his logic. Nothing unprofessional about his points.

RexBanner
17th Aug 2014, 10:00
Absolute nonsense. This job is not easy, modern kit has made it easier and we may find this appreciable on aircraft like the airbus but, even now, the average man on the street can NOT do this job. We find it easy because we are professional aviators and have the aptitude (to varying levels). I really wish people would stop denigrating this profession because you hand controls to your average man on the street in turbulent conditions with weather on the margins/crosswinds etc and you see what happens...

flieng
17th Aug 2014, 10:41
I,m afraid wind checks comments are largely correct. The day to day operation of modern jets is generally easier than it has ever been, ask the insurers. It's the unaccounted for which requires the good skills and judgement. As regards denegrating the profession the Pilots themselves must take a large share of the responsibly by there actions or non-action, eg pay to fly schemes in whatever form. Can you imagine doctors allowing their profession to turn into something similar?

Bob Down
2nd Sep 2014, 15:00
At the risk of causing a certain amount of furore, the original question was not to do with the handling characteristics of aircraft, but the salary of the EZS First Officers on the paid by the hour scheme.

Firstly, I DO NOT work for EZS, but I know a couple of the guys doing this, and they are most certainly not making CHF4500.00 before tax. Over summer they have been doing between 70 and 90 hours, and with expenses (paid by the company inc paid for STBY, positioning, out of base overnights etc) they have been grossing well in excess of CHF8000.00 per month.

Yes, they pay tax on this...so does everyone. They are also fully employed, get pensions, and all the insurances and social cover that a normal employee in Switzerland gets.

They are also paid a minimum amount over winter just in case the hours are low...last Winter it was not low.

Irrespective of whether one agrees with the process, the dive to the bottom of the pot in aviation etc etc, please ensure that you make decisions based on REAL information, and not hearsay and rumour (ok it is a rumour network I admit!).

I cannot sya whterh EZS are good to work for, or not, I don't work there, but they do appear to apply the process fairly, and my friends are really vey happy...and yes they paid for the TR themselves!

Dannyboy39
2nd Sep 2014, 17:16
What is the difference between easyJet and easyJet Switzerland?

Is it a separate entity to utilise Switzerland's "advantageous tax options".

Aquafina1
3rd Sep 2014, 13:13
passed online tests last month but just received PFO :ugh:

WhyByFlier
3rd Sep 2014, 16:47
Bob down, I DO work for EZS as many here will verify and the figures I've posted are absolutely spot on - your 'mates' are lying to you. A 90 hour month means you're stealing money from another month since the legal annual maximum is 900 hours and the company target for a full time pilot is 850. So that's 70 hours a month on average. 65 CHFs an hour X 70 hours = 4550 CHFs. Thrown in 5 standbys at 150 CHFs a standby = 5300 CHFs. Pay tax and all deductions and whaddaya got? Bingo.

EasyJet Switzerland is a franchise that operates under a seperate AOC. The benefits are, to name a few, being able to operate in lucrative, stable Switzerland, low/no corporation tax, being able to operate routes like TLV, AYT and possibly DME, sending money through the company and simply having a spare AOC. Probably a lot more complex stuff I don't know about. To the pax they know no different.

stiglet
5th Sep 2014, 08:57
WhyByflier - I must be a colleague of yours as I fly for easyJet. I cannot add anything to the discussion about money as I don't work for easyJet Switzerland. I am not a lawyer but I don't believe easyJet Switzerland is a franchise; we are sister companies of easyJet plc that operate under two different AOC's. I stand to be corrected but I think a franchise is a completely different setup where the franchisee pays money to the franchiser for operating certain rights. I agree; to the passenger there should be no difference.

Nightstop
5th Sep 2014, 10:02
EZS is a franchise, it can lose the franchise on renewal :eek:

stiglet
5th Sep 2014, 10:37
Thank you Nightstop, I wasn't aware of that. Would that not mean though that we should have two different board/management structures and are listed separately on the stock exchange; in effect two completely different companies?

WhyByFlier
5th Sep 2014, 11:04
easyJet Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyJet_Switzerland)

Says it right there too. We have different management as a requirement of the AOC. Think KFC, Subway, Southern fried chicken or even McDonald's - they're all franchised.

stiglet
5th Sep 2014, 12:11
Thank you. I feel enlightened but disappointed.

I shall look upon the easy Swiss crews in a completely new light and not at all part of the company I work for. Not brothers-in-arms but merely owned in part by the same people.

WhyByFlier
5th Sep 2014, 12:49
Step brothers in arms - we have the same management board, same paint scheme, same crap food and polyester uniform etc. Its a matter of convenience - we are the same company - Easyjet owns 49% of the company with a right to buy at a fixed value in 1998 the other 51%. It's the case because it's swiss law that a Swiss company needs to be majority swiss owned. It's all good brother ;)

The African Dude
5th Sep 2014, 15:11
same crap food

I like their crap food better.

stiglet
5th Sep 2014, 15:30
...... and their pay.

Now what must I say to myself, 'thou shalt not covet .....'

marcoBCN
8th Sep 2014, 12:49
PFO letter for me too... cadet, 320h TT

A400M
8th Sep 2014, 17:31
PFO for me too...

5000 TT (turboprop) full ATPL

Hard times

TOGA 10
8th Sep 2014, 19:20
We are step brothers! I'm working for EZS. We can now fly G- registered aircraft on empty sectors and UK crews can fly HB- registered aircrafts.
Probably in the future more will follow...

pilots
9th Sep 2014, 07:02
Same here....PFO, 3500 TT Turboprop, full ATPL :(

wondering
10th Sep 2014, 08:17
As I understand the current recruitment drive is mainly for Geneva. So, is there any planned/expected hiring for Basel in the near future?

liftman
10th Sep 2014, 19:48
PFO 2000tt rated full atpl

MachineMan
14th Sep 2014, 14:08
A mate recently got invited to an interview in October, so there's at least some movement.

antoniosrs
5th Oct 2014, 11:29
Hi
As far as I concerned I know that EZY and EZS usually send out PFO emails but in my case I have been waiting since almost 2 months for an invitation or a PFO email from EZS. Is this the average wait time? Does anyone know if they are interviewing people in this period? Has someone been called yet? Thank you :)

160 to 4
20th Oct 2014, 14:09
Hi all,

Does anyone have any info on type rating arrangements for non-type rated new joiners. Bonded / self sponsored?

bobbins
21st Oct 2014, 13:32
And for an experienced type-rated joiner, anyone know what the current salary might be? Read previously about pay by the hour, is that still the case?

Also, any ideas on likely time to command? Is there any expansion anticipated?

Cheers.

Jeckel
28th Oct 2014, 06:38
Hi all, I second Bobbins with his questions.
I've been invited to an assessment, have asked these questions to HR, but they don't want to provide any info about the type of contract before the interview day.
Anyone already in the boat would be kind enough to help us out?

Is there a small chance that experienced guys can be recruited on a solid-Swiss contract or don't they make the difference between low timers and experienced guys?

Got 6000 hrs, 3000 Boeing time with PIC time. Not Airbus rated.

Thanks!

freefight
6th Dec 2014, 14:28
Hi guys, anyone who attended the interview in GVA last week would be willing to share some information about what is involved ?

bobbins
9th Dec 2014, 13:07
Does anybody at Easy Swiss ever drop by this forum? Working too hard?

Similar to Freeflight's request, wondering what might be involved but more importantly what might be on offer if selected?

Is it still a pay by the hour deal or are the more traditional terms being offered again now?

Experienced and type-rated I don't want to waste the air fare/hotel cost/time if it's the former. As Jeckel mentioned above, having contacted them, EZS won't divulge any information about contracts until the selection day.

Be grateful to anyone who knows anything, cheers

RAT 5
9th Dec 2014, 15:26
I read there has been a change in the Swiss labour laws and salaries. The article was in relation to minimum wages and basic labour protection and its impact on such industries as tourism and hotel workers. The ski chalet companies have said it will increase their costs and drive them to put up prices and reduce their offerings. Does this ruling on salaries not have an impact on professional full-time employees being paid by the hour; and also, perhaps, and impact on a respectable rate?

MachineMan
10th Dec 2014, 06:59
What RAT 5 writes about is totally irrelevant to EZS's contract practices.
Nevertheless, as of 01/01/15, only "old-school" deals, i.e. permanent contracts with a base salary plus flight pay, will be on offer. Also, all existing paid-by-the-hour temps are being converted to FT contracts.

bobbins
12th Dec 2014, 23:34
Thank you for the replies, useful information.

MachineMan (or anyone else), do you happen to know how long people are waiting for a shot at command with EZS at present or what length of time an experienced new joiner might anticipate?

Are there any plans for expansion at EZS in the forseeable future?

Finally, can one enjoy a reasonable lifestyle on a pilots salary living and working in GVA or BSL given the high cost of living in Switzerland?

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

Holyjoe
13th Dec 2014, 09:41
Machine man, is that for EZY swiss only? I know for a fact that all current cadets are on flexi crew arrangements for the first 6-12 months depending on local labour laws. There are a few bases, Lisbon being one, where local laws prohibit flexicrew practices and EZY have had to offer permanent contracts for these bases. Even MPL students are starting on flexicrew contracts, 55 per hr for every hour flown, not duty hours. You pay for uniform and all costs incurred up until the day you start.
Its a job however, and permanent contracts will eventually be offered following a period of time and an interview.

Alsacienne
13th Dec 2014, 12:55
living and working in GVA or BSL given the high cost of living in Switzerland?

Unless it's in the T&C for Easyjet Switzerland that pilots (and cabin crew) must live in the same country as their operating base, there's probably cheaper accommodation etc nearby in France (eg between the airport and Mulhouse) and Germany (around Lörrach),so there are perhaps other possibilites if you were to be based at BSL.

El Sche
13th Dec 2014, 16:43
As Alsacienne said, you are not obliged to live in Switzerland, a lot of EZS pilots are leaving in France around Geneva...

No expansion is forseen in short terms in EZS, maybe a temporary additionnal aircraft during summer (???).

On the upgrade front, there should be a few this year, around 5-6,and quite a lot of experienced SFO are already waiting so I doubt that a new entrant can expect a rapid upgrade, don't expect to pass in front of everyone and to upgrade quickly...

And on the contract side, from the 1st of January, every EZS pilot will have an EZS contract, no more contractor...:ok:

bobbins
14th Dec 2014, 14:59
El Sche...where did I say I expected to pass in front of everyone?

Merely enquiring about possible promotion prospects when considering moving to a new employer.

Anyway, thanks for the other information.

Holyjoe
15th Dec 2014, 19:04
Am pleased EZS are putting everyone on full contracts. I really hope hope the rest of EZY follows suit.

speed_alive_rotate
15th Dec 2014, 19:32
Just out of curiosity guys, if you are transferred onto a permanent contract from being a contractor "self employed" essentially, how does that affect how much tax relief you receive on your type rating which you have possibly payed up front yourself for?? Regards SAR

dirk85
25th Dec 2014, 12:28
They opened the recruitment for cadets and experienced pilots.
These are the requirements:

- ab initio candidates from EZY training organization.

- NTR: 1500 hours total AND 500 hours multi crew, and current.

- TR: 1000 hours total, 500 hours on type, and current.

Any info from the inside as to how many will be needed?

miguel22
7th Feb 2017, 13:51
Hello Guys,

Just wondering if anyone got through selection process for Cadets based in EZS? I saw they opened application last year (december).

Just wanted to hear some feedback about conditions and how hard/easy would be to apply for this base as a cadet.

Bus Driver Man
25th Jun 2017, 19:27
Is the info on Pilot Jobs Network (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/easyJet_Switzerland) still correct?

-Still a random roster? Or have they changed to 5/4-5/3 like most Easyjet bases?
-How much annual leave?
-In which category does an experienced FO (+5000h) start? SO, FO or SFO?

Thanks!

swissmen
26th Jun 2017, 06:35
- ppjn figures are correct, random roster, 5 weeks a year and you would start as FO.

akindofmagic
26th Jun 2017, 08:23
With those hours you'd start on the 2nd FO band, and it would take one year to become SFO.

Bus Driver Man
29th Jun 2017, 14:18
Thanks!

In general, are the pilots happy at EasyJet Switzerland? I can't find too many complaints on pprune, which is usually a good sign.
No job is perfect, but as an outsider, this seems like a pretty good deal compared to other low cost companies.

Any additional benefits?
Loss of licence, health insurance, additional pension, ...?

miguel22
10th Jul 2017, 20:24
I have the same question as you:confused:

Also, what are the chances of getting hired when coming from a non Aeto?:bored:

Thanks!