PDA

View Full Version : IAG remove a jump seat from A320

Freehills
4th Aug 2014, 00:58
From Willie Walsh

"He says that, by reviewing the aircraft, IAG was able to “remove a lot of stuff we’d had on our aircraft, simply because we’d always had it there”.

This included items such as unnecessary jump-seats in the cockpit, he says: “Typically the people sitting in those seats don’t pay. Now we only have one jump-seat. That’s all you need. It removes cost and removes weight.”

Reducing flight crew perks even more...

wiggy
4th Aug 2014, 07:12
Typically the people sitting in those seats don’t pay.

Ummm, thanks to some very helpful colleagues on occasions I've ended up sat "in one of those seats" - I don't remember IAG/BA refunding my fare.

seventhreedriver
4th Aug 2014, 07:25
The pilots` seats are a lot heavier, need a lot more maintenance, and at BA, those sitting in one don`t usually pay...

wiggy
4th Aug 2014, 07:39
and at BA, those sitting in one don`t usually pay...

That's not been my experience, but I'll leave it at that....:oh:

Megaton
4th Aug 2014, 07:43
seventhreedriver

I've sat on those seats many, many times and have always paid often not much less than a full fare passenger.

captplaystation
4th Aug 2014, 08:02
NAS have done the same, all new 737 deliveries arriving without the (admittedly fairly awful but sometimes useful ) 2nd FD JS.

Savings obviously extend to the cost of a 4th O2 mask/set-up.

Main demerit is there is now nowhere for the Cabin Crew to "linger" when she comes to bring you coffee :(

Buter
4th Aug 2014, 08:55
Did we get bought out by Ryanair when I wasn't looking?

judge11
4th Aug 2014, 09:30
No but Walsh and MOL possibly share the same gene pool.

Skyjob
4th Aug 2014, 09:54
Or a coffee together at a predetermined location to hare ideas.

NigelOnDraft
4th Aug 2014, 11:22
Hardly news in BA terms... we've only had 1 FD J/S for some time on new deliveries.

Bengerman
4th Aug 2014, 14:10
A non item.

A4
4th Aug 2014, 16:32
How can removal of a non-essential, 99.9% unused seat of the flight deck elicit so many replies? :confused::confused: How often are BA/Iberia flights 100% full with more than one staff jump seater trying to get on? Pretty rare I would think so.......

Max Angle
4th Aug 2014, 16:49
How often are BA/Iberia flights 100% full with more than one staff jump seater trying to get on? Pretty rare I would think so.......Not that unusual at BA, whatever else they are bad at they seem to be able to fill the aircraft, every seat taken is quite common on the busy routes which often tend to be commuter routes for staff as well. I have left people behind twice recently on an aircraft with only 1 f/d jump seat.

All very well for our Willie, don't suppose he has much trouble getting on when he needs or wants to.

BIGBAD
4th Aug 2014, 17:13
This is unbelievable , how dare Willie Walsh treat his staff like this !! I mean , imagine filling all the seats on commuter routes, what the hell are the staff to do !! Best to block of 10 seats per flight just incase there is anybody on an ID90.

:=

Max Angle
4th Aug 2014, 21:39
Best to block of 10 seats per flight just incase there is anybody on an ID90.In Club of course.

MCDU2
4th Aug 2014, 22:10
I would respectfully suggest that this is just the start. Now he is getting to the bottom of sorting out Iberia his focus will turn elsewhere. He did the same stunts when he was our CEO. Just look back at history for a sample of the delights that await.

Megaton
4th Aug 2014, 22:15
**** all to do with Willie Walsh. The A321s only ever had one flight deck jump seat whilst the IAE LCD 320s ordered years ago only had one jump seat. So not new and not news. And certainly not the work of WW.

StrongWind
5th Aug 2014, 14:21
And so what?

A lot of airlines have their A320 series with only one jumpseat in the flightdeck (All ex Airbus Spanair; Some A320 of Air Berlin (I don't know if all of them) etc).

The African Dude
5th Aug 2014, 23:20
..and easyJet in addition. Not only the extra jumpseat but there was a third toilet on a BA A319 I travelled on recently - why?!

cactusbusdrvr
9th Aug 2014, 02:06
Your flights in Europe must not be as full as ours in the US. I carry two flightdeck jumpseaters on many of my flights, some of them 5 hours or more. Every flight in the US is packed, particularly in the summer. Many of us also commute during the year so the flight deck ride is our ride to work.

With airline consolidation and the trimming of capacity there are less seats for more demand. Great for the company, not so great for one of the few benefits that airline employees have. All our aircraft come with 2 FD jumpseats. I know that I the past other airlines have taken delivery with just one but I doubt that any US carrier will do that again in the future. They like it when we make it in to work.

Megaton
9th Aug 2014, 05:49
They like it when we make it in to work.

BA require us to make it in to work so if there's no jump seat available you get to work some other way. They don't care how we get there but since we are required to be within two hours of Heathrow there won't be much sympathy if you're late for report too often.

Linktrained
9th Aug 2014, 17:05
I lived more than 2 hours from my base. My employers made no requirements but as Professional pilot, who was to be the only other pilot on board, I felt that it was my DUTY to be fit for the flight. (I held a CPL and I/R with the type rating in Group 2.)

I stayed at a local hotel, prior to my flights, at my own expense. I was woken by the Manager who told me that my flight was cancelled... the aircraft had crashed.

This was Hermes G-AHDJ at Blackbushe. 7 of the 80 on board were killed. The Captain's Voyage report, which was recovered, mentioned Crew Fatigue.

A few months later Parliament brought in the first Mandatory FTL.

West Coast
9th Aug 2014, 19:40
How can removal of a non-essential, 99.9% unused seat of the flight deck elicit so many replies?

Can't tell you how many times the second JS has saved me grief. Either commuting to or from my domicile.

JW411
10th Aug 2014, 08:07
Linktrained:

Sorry to be pedantic but you would be pushed to get 80 people in a Percival Proctor. I think you might mean G-ALDJ which was a Hermes?

Landflap
10th Aug 2014, 10:04
Why are jump seats placed in the flight deck anyway? I can see the need for one where a Check Airman could be seated but more than one is unnecessary.

As a wanabee, working as Ground Staff, I was denied the use of a jumpseat because the Captain declared that the seats were for crew only and in any case. it was where the crew placed their coats and bags ! (Blimey, I think he just didn't like me).

Later in my years, having made the transition to pilot, I worked for an airline that had an incident related to a senior member of management "insisting" on the use of a jumpseat. We were subsequently ruled that the jumpseats were no longer to be considered as an "extension to the passenger cabin". Moreover, after 9-11, my employer banned the use of these seats other than to Check Airmen or members of the Regulatory Authority conducting inspection flights. The ban was heavily enforced and staff were not even allowed to "request" the use of a jumpseat on full flights.

I get the overview from previous posts that the use of Flight Deck Jumpseats as a passenger seat appears widespread or is it just for company staff ?

wiggy
10th Aug 2014, 10:28
In the specific case of one of the airlines in the group the OP is referring to it's just company staff, and even in that case there are restrictions and limitations.

Airmann
10th Aug 2014, 13:41
I'm assuming he's removed the jumpseat by the coat closet. That thing is just a retractable bench with a bit of padding on the wall to act as a seat back.

Might as well remove the other one as well, just keep a few aircraft with the single jumpseat for line checks and the like.

Linktrained
10th Aug 2014, 15:58
JW411

Thank you... Of course it really was G-ALDJ. Can I blame my keyboard or proof-reading, only one might have a human error !

A later employer used to pay "dead-heading money" for crews who had completed their duty but would rather go home than await the next flight, perhaps in less than desirable accommodation, somewhere and eventually.

(His late Majesty had provided me with a shared tent, a brick kiln or a bed in Government House, for variety !)

Juan Tugoh
10th Aug 2014, 16:04
This really ought to be said in a Yorkshire accent:

Shared tent! You were lucky.

BARKINGMAD
10th Aug 2014, 17:08
So how does the *AA Flight Ops Inspector monitor/check the LTC who is checking a "standard" flight crew on an ordinary line flight..............?

Aaah, I get it, they don't bother any more. The all singing all dancing full motion hi-tech simulator will suffice.

Pilotbac
16th Aug 2014, 18:46
Well well, never mind Iberia, you are all guilty of allowing Williewonker to start his campaign against the pensioners aren't you sorry for your non action against such a barbaric cull of staff travel oldies, serves you right! We can now sit back and watch it all happen, and it will!