PDA

View Full Version : Sutton harnesses

Hairyplane
26th May 2002, 07:41
I have Sutton harnesses fitted to my Magister - new around 15 years ago, appear in perfect condition and would, I am convinced, perform now as then.

TNS33 was - apparently - issued in March 99 giving all owners of Sutton harness- equipped aircraft 150 hours/ 3 years to change them, lifing them thereafter to 9 years.

Seems daft to change them - £600 apparently - for something likely to be exactly the same in performance.

I haven't seen a copy of TNS33 - I bought the aircraft only a year ago and nothing was mentioned on the recent Annual.

Is there provision for an inspection or is my aircraft grounded until I fit new? I confess to operating it in ignorance until now.

Anybody out there still with old Sutton harnesses? I suspect you are grounded too....

What is the score??

WHere can I get replacements based on my 'potentially perfect but useless' harnesses as patterns?

As a stickler for originality I can't imagine moving away from Sutton harnesses - they look so right in the Maggie.

Stampe
26th May 2002, 08:30
Pete try the the DH Moth club technical section website I believe there,s loads on this.I believe authentic new sutton harnesses have been remanufactured.I,ll try and send you a link!!.www.dhmothclub.co.uk Ah MMMMMMiles!!.

The Nr Fairy
26th May 2002, 13:11
Hairy :

Better new harnesses than injuries described in varied AAIB reports over the years due to a failed one.

And if the Moth club have new ones which will hold your face away from the coaming, worth a look, no ?

Hairyplane
27th May 2002, 07:42
THanks for the tips chaps. Hi Stampe. BAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Looking at the site next.

Nr Fairy - I wholeheartedly agree with you.

My only concern is that my aircraft hasn't got the original harnesses and has only flown 168 hours since they were fitted in 1990. THey look new, I would put £100 down on them exceeding any test parameters.

I believe that the Moth Club has got an extension to the deadline.

Whilst patters exist for the Moth I doubt whether they do for the Maggie = long down time.

I will ask the CAA to grant me an extension too.

I will keep you posted and thanks again.