PDA

View Full Version : ETOPS scenarios

Bkdoss
26th Jul 2014, 13:20
I have started flying ETOPS sectors recently and a couple of scenarios are foxing me.

1)I have an airport X, which based on the TAF predictions doesn't meet the dispatch minima criteria(which is more stringent than CAT I minima)and hence I have not X considered as an enroute etops alternate. The flight commences and just before entering EEP, I observe that the weather is above the CAT 1 minima (but below the stringent dispatch minima as predicted). In such a condition I encounter two separate scenarios
SCENARIO 1: Engine Failure
SCENARIO 2: Systems degradation which necessitates a diversion only in case of flying in ETOPS sector (say APU fail + one Main generator fail)
In each of these two scenarios can I consider X for diversion or would I have to avoid X because it was not an enroute ETOPS alternate.

2) In case of weather diversion in ETOPS RVSM airspace, do people follow the rule of descending or climbing 300ft based on the track followed when deviating more than 10nm OFF track and not in VHF/HF contact ?

safelife
26th Jul 2014, 17:22
1) You may consider X as the etops requirements are for planning only, once into etops sector you may do whatever you feel is prudent...

2) We sure do.