PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone with a FAA CFII in Europe that can help me get current?

Caliastros
16th Jul 2014, 11:04
I've converted my FAA CPL to EASA, and now I'm finally getting around to doing my EASA IR-ME. To be able to start the course, my FAA IR has to be current. Seeing I've let it lapse far beyond the 12 months grace period so I need a proficiency check to get my currency back.
Does any of you know anyone with a current FAA CFII rating anywhere in Europe?
Thank you in advance!

Straighten Up
16th Jul 2014, 12:15
One of my friends just did his FAA IR renewal at White Waltham (nr London). Not sure if it was a private instructor or one of their courses.

MartinCh
16th Jul 2014, 13:15
you can get your currency back on suitable sim with FAA CFII doing IPC with you as well. Saves some regulatory headache.

It's been mentioned here or on the pilot mag adverts, that Willow Air was doing FAA specific training (at certain premium).
FSI Farnborough should be able to help, but may not be too budget for you.

The issue may not be having CFII at hand, but the legalities of aircraft use in state/territory/airspace, a la UK, needing to have the approval/consent (ie for foreign/N reg) if not EASA rated FI etc, if for hire/reward. Not sure you'd have someone willing to donate their time charitably (is few rounds of beer reward?).

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/media/ipc_guidance.pdf
The doc in link above may be handy for you.
If all else fails trying to do it via independent FAA CFII, give schools with high numbers of Scandinavian airplane grads a shout, they may give you some pointers to guys/gals returning from US more recently.

Caliastros
16th Jul 2014, 13:21
I've found a sim, just need a CFII. I will contact Farnborough and check the White Waltham lead, cheers guys!

Caliastros
16th Jul 2014, 13:24
And thank you for the guide, it's been a while :D

maximus610
18th Jul 2014, 08:02
I know one in Germany, near Frankfurt Main.I think he is doing this also in a sim.

Caliastros
23rd Jul 2014, 07:22
Could you send me his contact info? :)

Migbuster
24th Jul 2014, 08:18
Hi Caliastros,
I'm an CFI / CFII but I just got back in Sardinia (Italy) right now and I don't know if here we have any SEP registered "N"...let me know anyway if you need any help...

Have a good one:ok:

Duchess_Driver
26th Jul 2014, 07:35
Cirrus Aircraft & Glass Cockpit Training - TAA UK (http://Www.taauk.net)

Caliastros
27th Jul 2014, 08:25
Might be helpful to specify that I fly helo's :)

Caliastros
27th Jul 2014, 08:26
Migbuster, that is great! I think we only need an approved sim. Are you fixed-wing or rotor?

Migbuster
27th Jul 2014, 21:07
only Fixed wing...

Transsonic2000
28th Jul 2014, 00:29
I'm a FAA CFII myself, I've received a couple of inquiries regarding flight review and IFR proficiency checks in the past, but unfortunately had to turn them down due to lack of access to N-reg aircraft, difficult to find a charter for a reasonable price (at least in the area where I'm currently living). On the other hand I'm pretty busy and hardly have time for arrangements.

But as a CFI I don't want to let you go without providing any useful information, please check out the following link (it's a US flying club in Germany and they provide Flight reviews and IFR checks):

Services (http://www.n-flight.com/Services/services.html)

Hope I could help and always fly safe!

PS. just read that you are a rotor-wing and thought that you might could do it in an airplane, so I checked the regs (PART 61.57) and it basically says that the IFR proficiency check shall be conducted in the appropriate category of aircraft:

(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following—
(i) Six instrument approaches.
(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

(2) Use of a flight simulator or flight training device for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in a flight simulator or flight training device, provided the flight simulator or flight training device represents the category of aircraft for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained and involves having performed the following—
(i) Six instrument approaches.
(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.
(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

Source: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=c3b4e149c12fd903e6d036282eb9b102&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.1.1.36&rgn=div8

Caliastros
28th Jul 2014, 13:17
Thank you for that, tried to call them but I got to a german answering machine.. I'll continue to look around. Again, thank you for the information! :)

Transsonic2000
28th Jul 2014, 14:04
it's difficult to get someone on the phone, since the office is usually unstaffed. Best way to get in touch with them is by email, check the link below. And as mentioned above, talk to a flight instructor and see if the IFR check can be done in a fixed-wing, because I remember that at the flight school where as was in the States, some rotor-wing guys did the IFR check in airplanes.

Impressum (http://www.n-flight.com/Impressum/impressum.html)

Caliastros
29th Jul 2014, 10:50
I don't think it is possible for me to do it in a fixed wing, but I've sent a couple of e-mails to see what can be done. The main problem is that I've let the currency lapse beyond 12cm.

the Regs for Instrument Proficiency check are:

d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person who has failed to meet the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) for more than six calendar months may reestablish instrument currency only by completing an instrument proficiency check. The instrument proficiency check must consist of the areas of operation and instrument tasks required in the instrument rating practical test standards.

(1) The instrument proficiency check must be—

(i) In an aircraft that is appropriate to the aircraft category;

(ii) For other than a glider, in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category; or

(iii) For a glider, in a single-engine airplane or a glider.

(2) The instrument proficiency check must be given by—

(i) An examiner;

(ii) A person authorized by the U.S. Armed Forces to conduct instrument flight tests, provided the person being tested is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces;

(iii) A company check pilot who is authorized to conduct instrument flight tests under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter or subpart K of part 91 of this chapter, and provided that both the check pilot and the pilot being tested are employees of that operator or fractional ownership program manager, as applicable;

(iv) An authorized instructor; or

(v) A person approved by the Administrator to conduct instrument practical tests.

If I were to interpret this, I's say I have to do it in a helicopter, or a helicopter training device.

This turned out to be a lot harder than I expected.

Transsonic2000
29th Jul 2014, 15:26
That's absolutely correct, the instrument proficiency check must be conducted in an aircraft that is appropriate to the aircraft category, which in your case means it must be done in a helicopter or heli-sim.

Now, I'm not sure if it would be possible to do the IPC in a helicopter or heli-sim with a fixedwing CFII, because the regs only say:

PART 61.57 (d)

(2) The instrument proficiency check must be given by—
(i) An examiner or,
(iv) An authorized instructor
I know for sure that an IPC can be done with a CFII, because that's how I regained my IFR currency in the past! So I can't see why it should not be possible for you to do your IPC with a fixedwing CFII in a heli-sim?!

Caliastros
30th Jul 2014, 08:48
Aha, I understand. I have found a couple of Simulators I can rent, one in Norway and a couple in the UK. Kinda opens up the search a bit though. Thank you for the help mate.

MartinCh
30th Jul 2014, 12:56
yeah, that'd HELP mentioned you're rotary. I'm rotary FAA CFI and since it's on generic section of forum and you haven't stressed it, I wasn't giving the info you subsequently received. Yes, class and category (with exception of the glider review possibly done in fixed wing/fw sim). I'm not heli CFII (yet) and fiddle with fixed wing flying bit, too, so for me it's worth keeping in mind any limitations to category/class, as you see now.

I'd have to look up the specific regs, but having IGI rated instructor could solve this, although still needs a/c or sim in relevant category. IGI is simple written pretty much what CFII theory written is (if one has done FOI written) but AFAIK, most people don't bother since CFI or CFII includes sim teaching privileges. Just had quick glance and yes, IPC can be done by IGI holder as well.

T2000, maybe doing IPC in the aircraft if they pretend it to be somewhat fancy and expensive SIMULATOR (say rated CFI for the a/c but not the student, or being other category CFII and student priv/comm rated in the a/c), but I still can't see how the relevant class/cat can be circumvented by this. So yeah, they did it agains the regs if you heard of it. Not saying it's right, if it's happening. Honestly, I've heard WRONG interpretations of regs or dwelling on OLD system (if there ever was something that'd allow some stuff) and not in line with regs nowadays or recent years. I'm not blaming instructors who don't self study or doublecheck regs to ensure they're following the laws/regs, I myself don't revisit general stuff regularly, but potential legal minefield situations really OUGHT TO BE investigated. Or the loopholes are exploited till the FAA 'notice' and close them down with Part 61, 91 etc update. Instructors aren't walking CFR nor lawyers etc.

Can anyone give reference to PROHIBITION of using non-N-reg a/c if the local/national laws of country of registry/airspace are OK with it? Ie EASA rated FI in EASA country aircraft or with private owner and IPC in his a/c.

Caliastros
31st Jul 2014, 08:40
I have found a guy! Thank you all for the help and the information. I'll be on the safe side and do it with a CFII(H) in a R44.