PDA

View Full Version : Bolkow update. One fatality confirmed (Merged)

baldspot
24th May 2002, 11:44
A Bolkow 105 operated by Bond Helicopters has crashed into the sea near Orkney. Aircraft was on maintenance work at Birsay lighthouse. Two reported on board. Stornoway 61 and Lossie Sea King en route.

One crew member rescued after reaching shore line. Pilot believed unaccounted for.

Now confirmed only pilot on board. Second man was on shore directing operation. Bolkow was carrying under slung load at time of incident. Pilot still unaccounted for and aircraft has sunk.

swashplate
24th May 2002, 11:59
BBC News - Helicopter crashes off Orkney (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/scotland/newsid_2006000/2006237.stm)

Fingers crossed for Pilot - hope he's OK.... :(

Tinstaafl
24th May 2002, 12:23
Anyone know where this helicopter & pilot is based? Orkney? Scatsta? Elsewhere?

baldspot
24th May 2002, 14:46
Further to accident involving Bond Helicopters Bolkow 105 which crashed while flying lighthouse maintenance off Orkney. Pilot's body has now been receovered from wreckage in 50-metres of water 150 metres offshore.

Pilot confirmed as only person on board.

My sympathies to family, friends and colleagues.

swashplate
24th May 2002, 15:21
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Grainger
24th May 2002, 16:12
I know some of those guys.

And I was out that way only a couple of weeks ago.

Very unhappy. Condolences to family. :(

Wheelon-Wheeloff.
24th May 2002, 19:00
Was flying up there myself today, conditions were quite choppy but not excessive. Report from eyewitness was that the underslung load was swinging wildly and then made contact with tail rotor, smashing it whilst helicopter was at low level. AAIB on way up tonight.

Condolances to all connected.

IRVR
25th May 2002, 00:02
The pilot has been named as Anthony (tony) Taylor

I had the pleasure of meeting Tony quite a few times through my work and always regarded him as a very professional pilot and above all a genuinely nice guy.

My condolences to his friends and family