PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Express

Pages : [1] 2 3

b18onboost
2nd Jul 2014, 17:01
Hi guys and gals! I just got offered a position at HKE.
I want to know if things have improve or anything to watch out for. Do they pay on time and how much does an FO fly a month? Thank you.

dartman748
2nd Jul 2014, 20:49
I think if you have to ask those sorts of questions, you've answered it yourself,.... :ok:

Scott_T
3rd Jul 2014, 11:23
B18onboost are you rated or non rated? they told me they will soon start to recruit experienced non rated guys.

b18onboost
4th Jul 2014, 15:51
Im rated with time on type man.

betpump5
4th Jul 2014, 16:59
That's cool man

alloverthesky87
6th Jul 2014, 09:52
Anyone got a reply? For non type rated? Average salary?

Scott_T
6th Jul 2014, 22:13
applied for non type rated yet experienced first officer position (737) recieved an e-mail from HR lady aying at the moment they are focusing on rated candidates however in the future they will be recruiting rated guys.

Luggage
12th Jul 2014, 07:56
Hi

I have been invited to a HKE interview in August. Can anybody who has been recently please give me some feedback on the interview process, notably the sim check, compass test and face to face interview.

How long does it take, what is involved in the sim ride etc.

Thanks

Luggage:ok:

White None
12th Jul 2014, 09:44
South Asia and Far East Wannabes (http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east-wannabes-99/) (37 Viewing)
A forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.
This posted not to be antisocial, just that I think there might be more or extra info for you here

b18onboost
14th Jul 2014, 19:01
If anyone interested about the interview. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Kestral00p
14th Jul 2014, 22:14
Hi Guys/Girls,

just wondering if anyone has any info on the assessment days/ interview?

Any help would be great .

Thank you! :8

Scott_T
14th Jul 2014, 23:01
Has anyone been called for a non rated position?

txflyer39
16th Jul 2014, 18:52
I have no type and got a call for interview next month

Scott_T
24th Jul 2014, 21:14
Did anyone else recieve calls for interview for a non rated position???

kazaf911
25th Jul 2014, 07:06
does anyone know what kinda interview process will be?

AQIS Boigu
25th Jul 2014, 13:24
for they guys without rating...do you have any jet time at all?

Bye Bye Baby
26th Jul 2014, 08:24
Most importantly their new paint scheme is very pretty.

Scott_T
27th Jul 2014, 17:37
Yes I have over 1k jet time, It is a requirement 500 hours multi crew jet

Eastend1103
5th Aug 2014, 08:47
Hi everyone

Are they still hiring still?

Sue Ridgepipe
5th Aug 2014, 12:30
Interviews are ongoing, more aircraft arriving.

Scott_T
5th Aug 2014, 12:48
Can anyone shed any light on the selection process please? I have heard it is actually very tough , they are paying flights and accom to HK

Eastend1103
5th Aug 2014, 14:39
Thanks!
Anyone got call for interview lately?

Kestral00p
6th Aug 2014, 19:10
Hi Guys/Girls,

Does any one know what the sim profile for non type rated guys is like?

:8

kinshas
7th Aug 2014, 12:45
Hi guys! Can anyone shed a light on the interview process please?
About sim, I think standart, you have to show that you can fly, a good idea to buy a joystick and try it at home.

dboy
7th Aug 2014, 15:06
When did you guys (Non rated) get a phone call?

I send them the 31 of july my application form.

Cheerz

tiger02
8th Aug 2014, 20:50
Hello,
Just got an email for interview in first week of September, can any body provide any info on what to expect for non-type rated FO, on sim profile, compass test and medical.
Cheers:ok:

AQIS Boigu
9th Aug 2014, 07:24
Compass test...are you effing kidding us...? Half the HKE management wouldn't pass that test...lol...

too_much
9th Aug 2014, 07:52
Hi Im non rated & applied through smart recruiters on HKE website.

I was told to complete he attached application form and send to HKE, but they did not attach the form!! Does anyone have an application form I could have?

I'm non rated

Thanks in advance

Trigger Happy
9th Aug 2014, 08:24
So ask them for it! Same thing happened to me and they resent it with the attachment.

dboy
9th Aug 2014, 08:32
Same for me. Send everything to them but no reply so far.

too_much
9th Aug 2014, 12:35
Any chance for you to forward me the application trigger?

Scott_T
10th Aug 2014, 20:44
@tiger02 how long ago did you apply?

too_much
10th Aug 2014, 21:04
OK so no one on here is kind or decent enough to send me the application form, fair enough, I will just have to wait for it to be sent to me by these guys, unsure of how long that will take...shame on me for thinking I could get some honest help that wouldn't cost you a penny, good luck to all that go for this

flyhardmo
10th Aug 2014, 21:51
Too much you're an idiot. Trigger already told you to ask them but you want things handed to you on a platter.
With the patience like that you won't last in HK.

Scoreboard
10th Aug 2014, 23:43
have to agree about "Too-Much"....your an idiot.

Its being an adult....aka when someone doesnt give something you expect you are meant to speak up like an adult and ask.

Your actual career choice has a built requirement that you speak up and challenge to ensure safety. Did you even think for one second and realize that this maybe a simple check for timewasters (like yourself) and actual people who want a career as pilot. Because if you wanted a career you would have got off your own ass and asked the said company to resend the application....not troll a forum.

Well done in shooting yourself in the foot.

tiger02
11th Aug 2014, 06:48
@ Scott T early June..:ok:

too_much
11th Aug 2014, 07:51
@scoreboard & flyhardmo

Your a great judge of character! Wow

A pilot who simply asks his fellow forum members to forward a simple application form is an idiot & chosen the wrong career?! Are you for real?

I have already said I will have to wait for HKE to send this to me, forgive my enthusiasm for trying to think outside the box and get this form on here! It's called using your initiative.

Both of you are very very quick to jump to conclusions, amazing

Scott_T
13th Aug 2014, 22:27
Is a full ATPL required for no rated positions or is a frozen ATPL acceptable

Flying Mechanic
14th Aug 2014, 01:00
Frozen ATPL is acceptable.once you get the hours you will get your full HK ATPL.

aviatorhi
14th Aug 2014, 01:10
What are captain mins? What is the compensation like?

jetjockey696
14th Aug 2014, 05:21
I see the pay is

A320 FO with 3000+ hours jet time: $10,159

A320 FO with 1500+ hours jet time: $8,869

Overtime available above 50 hours:
51-75 hours: $58/HR
76+ hours: $83/HR

I guess no housing, schooling.. or moving allowance etc..

dboy
14th Aug 2014, 17:05
I have no clue how life is downthere.

But these figures, is that a lot , or how do have put these numbers into perspective?

Tx

aviatorhi
14th Aug 2014, 20:51
If it's gross with no allowances, it's peanuts.

jetjockey696
15th Aug 2014, 07:03
so around 78738hkd and minus 11810hkd for taxes so take home around 66927hkd...:( i hope i am wrong with the figures...

if you go over 50hrs you get a few more peanuts. No mention of other allowances....

housing in HK is very high.. a size 14 shoe (box) is around 20K+ per month..:ugh:

hmmm

Dash8capt
15th Aug 2014, 07:15
Jetjockey how did you come across these figures?

Flying Clog
15th Aug 2014, 08:01
Jesus Christ, 67k is peanuts. You will not be able to live on that in Hong Kong.

Period.

I earn nearly 3 times that as an F/O in HKG, and that just about provides a manageable life for living in this godforsaken cesspit.

Even a single guy/girl would struggle, but with a missus or even worse kids, you're kidding yourself.

I guess it's monkey pay for a monkey operation. I've said it before, be VERY careful about going to work for these clowns. Reason - you very well might struggle to get a job anywhere else with that on your cv...

A good contrast is Ryanair, horrendous reputation from a passenger's point of view, but the training is excellent. Therefore Ryanair is a valid stepping stone, and the likes of Emirates and co. snap up the Ryanair pilots like there's no tomorrow.

Hong Kong Airlines = the opposite. :yuk:

dboy
15th Aug 2014, 08:02
66927 hkd is still 6400 eur net!:eek:

For me that is still a lot of money.

On top you get 58 or 83 per hour but you will fly for sure 80h a month.

Sorry being that naive, but what is so bad about that?

What am i missing here?

SOPS
15th Aug 2014, 08:08
You have obviously never been to Hong Kong dboy. I doubt you could rent a toilet for 6400 euros a month.

dboy
15th Aug 2014, 08:26
No i ve never been down there and have no clue how life looks like. Thats why i was asking.

NIPPI 2000
15th Aug 2014, 09:28
A good contrast is Ryanair, horrendous reputation from a passenger's point of view, but the training is excellent. Therefore Ryanair is a valid stepping stone, and the likes of Emirates and co. snap up the Ryanair pilots like there's no tomorrow.

Hong Kong Airlines = the opposite.

Not true from what I have heard. HKA is struggling with crew, becaus lots of them have left for Emirates and Etihad for a FO or DEC position.

Wake up! Aviation has changed. Nobody gives a flying fock anymore, for what company you have worked before and what standards you think you might have achieved, as long you have a rating, license, etc.

The HR department (and then in turn a skinny lady, with glasses in her mid twenties with 2 1/4 years of working experience) of a recruiting airline will get the task to hire 140 FOs and 25 DEC. They threw you in a simulator after you probably passed a computer aided assessment (outsourced to 3rd party outfit) and you rehearse a interview. If you pass you are in. No matter if you flew for HKA, Cathay, Dragon or even orbited earth 13x in a space shuttle before.

Dash8capt
15th Aug 2014, 10:05
Nippi the space shuttle requirement will always stand in Aus😒

pilotchute
16th Aug 2014, 00:51
Monkey. I know plenty of guys who at 200 hours went straight to the RHS of a jet who don't meet that requirement.

dboy
16th Aug 2014, 11:35
Hi, got the inviation for the assessment next month!

Anyone else?

Ow, and those who applied, check you spam box. My invitation wasmin there and i found it by luck!!

Sqwak7700
17th Aug 2014, 04:32
The HR department (and then in turn a skinny lady, with glasses in her mid twenties with 2 1/4 years of working experience) of a recruiting airline will get the task to hire 140 FOs and 25 DEC. They threw you in a simulator after you probably passed a computer aided assessment (outsourced to 3rd party outfit) and you rehearse a interview. If you pass you are in. No matter if you flew for HKA, Cathay, Dragon or even orbited earth 13x in a space shuttle before.

You made me spit up my coffee. So true and so funny.

:ok:

atpcliff
17th Aug 2014, 10:39
I was looking at apartment rentals in HKG. It would cost me minimum of around 6000 hkd for a 400 square foot apartment in a not nice building in Kowloon. I saw some expat housing allowances of 75,000-100,00hkd per month. It seems that pay is crazy without a housing allowance.

RusCo
17th Aug 2014, 11:38
It is brutally expensive to live in Hong Kong if you want to maintain your western standard of living, apartment, food, clothes.

If you want to live in Kowloon, shop at the local market for local food, ladies market for clothes that salary may work. Drink at the Circle K bar...eat DimSum at the corner "restaurant" or McDonalds.

If you want to live in DB/TC or Central that pay is not enough. I make HKE. salary in housing alone.

Naive, very Naive.

RusCo
17th Aug 2014, 11:41
"6000 hkd for a 400 square foot apartment in a not nice building in Kowloon"

Good luck with that...a dump is actually a better description.

SOPS
17th Aug 2014, 13:00
To dboy...if you have never been in Hong Kong...but you are going there for an interview, I would suggest you take a week there to look around, and try to find places to live, I mean a place to live that you would find acceptable. Then see how much of you "wonderful" 6400 euros you have left to spend on other things...like food.

There is no way on earth as an expat I would go to HKG without housing allowance. I do another expat gig, and there is no way I would stay where I am unless they gave me my house, or a big allowance. Being an expat, is not being at home, I repeat, is not being at home....so keep your eyes wide open and take it all in. And listen to what others are telling you.

dboy
17th Aug 2014, 13:56
Tx sops

Thats what i am going to do. I am not going there with pink glasses. I use my time to go to real estate companies to have an idea. I also,want to see if it is really my surroundings. And i must admit, when i hear hong kong i immediately think about pollution.

jetjockey696
17th Aug 2014, 15:56
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO VIRGIN HOUSING HUNTERS.... HONG KONG there is something about Gross Area (Gross Floor Area (GFA) is a real estate term referring to the total floor area inside the building envelope, including the external walls, and excluding the roof.): 603 (sq.ft.) Saleable Area: 483 (sq.ft.)... which means you only live in a 483FT area NOT 603sqft..

SO a 400 sqft apartment is only 280 sqft of liveable space...for 6000hkd

here are some insight about housing in HK...

you not getting anything below 20000HKD..per month.

hong kong apts/housing for rent - craigslist (http://hongkong.craigslist.hk/apa/)

good hunting

jetjockey696
17th Aug 2014, 15:59
I apologise for the very bad taste... But this housing to some unfortunate people of hong kong....

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bfae553ef017d40dcb2b7970c-pi

RusCo
18th Aug 2014, 05:01
I think the guy on the left is one of our new SO's....

He receives no housing allowance:O

airdualbleedfault
18th Aug 2014, 06:34
Ow, and those who applied, check you spam box. My invitation wasmin there and i found it by luck!!

You're computer is smart, follow it's lead, and leave the email in the spam box.

Dash8capt
18th Aug 2014, 07:43
Does anyone recently hired or interviewed know an accurate pay figure for non-typed drivers? The above figures mentioned previous jet time.

defuel
18th Aug 2014, 07:45
Anyone got an invitation from HKE without jet time?:) just turboprop hours...

Thanks

RusCo
18th Aug 2014, 07:47
Forget HKG unless you make 100,000hk/month minimum. The cost of living is at least 150% higher than just about any other city in the world.

Better off going to mainland china where you make double what HKE makes and the cost of living is a third.

70,000/month is NOT enough. I know, been in HKG 5 years, have seen prices of everything rise between 4-7% a year.

My rent when I first arrived was 14,000. Withing 1 year the owner raised it to 18,000. Two years later she sold it and the new owners rented it for 28,000.

Don't even get me started on food, restaurants and alcohol.

too_much
18th Aug 2014, 08:52
Given housing seems to destroy the whole thing on the pay offered, I've done a bit of research & unless you have other money coming in you will crash eventually on this pay at HKE

I'm out for now, the search continues

Sue Ridgepipe
18th Aug 2014, 13:33
Current pay for an f/o with no jet time is HK$53750pm for 50 hours. Avge hours at the moment would be about 70 per month, so that would get you $62750, which is about $53000 after tax.

If you choose to live in Tung Chung or DB, don't expect much (if any) change from $20000, Central or anywhere on HK island will cost you a lot more and you'll get a lot less.

If you're single it's fine, married with no kids maybe okay as long as you can keep the wife happy, but don't even think about coming here on that wage if you have school aged kids.

dboy
19th Aug 2014, 10:41
Well i"am afraid i m also not going. Salary for highest rank F/o is still pretty poor taken into account the housing prices. An then i m not talking about having a car, buying food etc. Would have been nice gig if the salary was just higher.

RusCo
20th Aug 2014, 11:31
Kestral00P...

you are EXACTLY the kind of guy that lessens the conditions for guys who are AREADY in a "Strong Position"

As long as we pilots keep accepting lesser pay and worse conditions the companies will offer less. Back when I instructed their were guys who taught for free. They did not value themselves or their skills.

You, Kestral, are worth MORE than they are offering.

what idiots pilots are.

Kitsune
20th Aug 2014, 11:49
And you RusCo, are the epitome of the problem. Exactly how do your terms and conditions compare relatively to the A scales enjoyed before B scalers et al came along? :mad:

RusCo
20th Aug 2014, 12:07
A scale was long gone before I came to CX.

I at least got the housing, would not have come without.

Pedantic Pomey :mad:

TOFFAIR
20th Aug 2014, 12:10
The salary makes a though living in HK indeed. Specially if you got kids!Why not try Dragonair? As they have a slightly better package, or even HKE you might jump as non TR into a 330. Quick upgrade? Hello!!! There are many qualified people waiting in line, some for several years, and DEC are still being hired.
On the other hand life in HK is pretty good. You will hardly experience another place where, as an expat, you be respected, and feel as free and safe as HK.

Dan Winterland
20th Aug 2014, 13:28
You pay no money for the TR upfront it's a bond which is a great attribute to the t's and c's .

Bonds are not legal and if signed, not enforceable in HK.

On the other hand life in HK is pretty good. You will hardly experience another place where, as an expat, you be respected, and feel as free and safe as HK.

It's good and you will be respected - providing you have money. And with that, I think we're back to the start of this thread.

jetjockey696
20th Aug 2014, 14:39
Ok..i been smoking to much pollution these days...

whats the difference in pay , T & C between express and HKA.. etc.

I thought they where under the same group etc. same nasty pay.. and crazy management team..

Please enlighten me.. what the big picture...

too_much
20th Aug 2014, 14:49
I received an invitation to interview in HK this Morning, however kindly declined.. Hope this is useful to anyone expecting a response

Scott_T
20th Aug 2014, 16:27
Too much , when did you apply?

too_much
20th Aug 2014, 16:42
About 10 days ago Scott

iceman50
20th Aug 2014, 23:35
Kestrel

Have you actually lived here for any REAL comparison of "cost of living" because it is WAY higher than Aberdeen.

Your £1100 bought you what as a property? Bet it was way more than half a shoe box. But keep the rose coloured glasses on you are the only one that knows anything about it as you are not a low hours ATPL holder flying for a great carrier in a country that has legal protection for its workers!:ugh::ugh:

SOPS
21st Aug 2014, 06:36
Kestrel attitude to pay is exactly why this industry is in the mess it is. I'm just glad I'm about to retire, and I will leave it to all the young guns to destroy it completely.

flyhardmo
22nd Aug 2014, 01:30
You also get a salary all the way through

You don't get a full salary. They will put you on training pay.

Bonds are only industry standard if you believe they are. You've made your decision. Until you get here you won't believe what anyone who actually lives here will tell you.
A word of advice for everyone. It doesn't matter what you fly. What matters is lifestyle (pay and days off for the naive) and living in a place that makes you happy.

FCTM
30th Aug 2014, 15:19
Hi there,

I have an interview in HK soon and I was wondering if anybody knew if HK Express or HK Airlines pay any form of relocation allowance? (Air Fares/ Baggage Allowance/etc). I found an earlier post on Pprune but I think it was relating to Dragon Air.

Best airline career in Hong Kong [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-518864.html)

If they do is this limited to flights within their own network or will it cover me and the wife from Europe? Is it also a legal requirement for airlines in HK to pay for relocation allowances or is this really just company specific and a bonus?

Any advice would be appreciated cheers....

:cool:

FCTM

jetjockey696
6th Sep 2014, 10:52
any idea for upgrade to command for senior FO.. in this airline these days.

PBY
6th Sep 2014, 11:40
No chance, guaranteed. They upgraded only 6 people in HKA and HKE in last 6 years or so. And they ate trying to upgrade only locals. But I am not sure if the people I quote is not too high. that is the reason many FO's are leaving.

jetjockey696
6th Sep 2014, 13:24
thanks PBY..

6 in 6 years.. I surprise they got enough crew.

well i guess get the type and run...like the triads are after you with machetes and 3 by 2s....

Phlax
8th Sep 2014, 04:57
Hey guys, also have an interview soon. Can anyone give a bit more info regarding the process who has been through it recently? Ive pm'd a couple guys with no response. Thanks.

HKE Insider
12th Sep 2014, 06:50
Interview Process:
1. Panel Interview with management pilots
2. Simulator Assessment
3. COMPASS Test
4. Medical Check
5. English Test

The simulator is done completely raw data. Expect to do V1 Cut, ILS Go around and other airwork such as intercepting a VOR Radial.

Salary
All salary is based on 50hrs guaranteed. If you fly more than 50hrs in the month you will be payed at an overtime hourly rate. On average expect to fly about 70hrs a month. The numbers quoted below is the total salary.

There is a relocation allowance.

First Officer
<1500hrs Jet = HK$53750
1500-3000hrs Jet = HK$68750
3000hrs+ Jet = HK$78750

Captain
<3000hrs Jet PIC = HK$106250
3000hrs+ Jet PIC = HK$116250

28 Days Annual Leave + Wrap around days off before and after you leave periods.
14 Days Sick Leave

Command Upgrades
HKE has always had a very active upgrade program. It was stopped due to the fleet change but has now started again this month. There are already a number of candidates selected for the coming months.Selection is based on seniority and you are required to be in the company for 12months and meet all flying experience requirements. Line captains are asked to submit their choices to training department as to who they think are suitable for promotion.

Lifestyle
Normally about 10 days off per month
3 Red eye flights per month
1 Overnight per month (Tokyo - may be removed during winter schedule)

The flying is good. The crews are very nice to work with. A good mixture from all around the world.

The company currently has 8 aircraft with the 9 by years end and many more coming next year.

The culture and standards of HKE is very different to Hong Kong Airlines. They are 2 separate companies.

ETOPS240
14th Sep 2014, 13:33
Are those pay figures based on 50 or 70 hours a month? And does that figure comprise of a combination of things? Ie. base salary plus flying pay plus per diem. Etc.?

How do those figures compare to HKA?

HKE Insider
15th Sep 2014, 01:53
Salary is based on 50hrs

bananaman2
18th Sep 2014, 07:07
HKE Insider... quick question.

Sigmar just sent me an email regarding HKE... numbers come out as you say. Talk of a bonus also - 12/24/36month and accom for first 2 weeks.

Anyway my question... I've seen HKE recruiting directly. Do pilots generally go through an agency or do some people apply/work/contract directly to/for the airline? If so is there any variation in benefits that you know of vs agency?

Secondly, is Sigmar generally the agency of choice or are there different/more preferable ones?

Thanks.

Yeager
18th Sep 2014, 12:44
The biggest mistake, I've been told, of aspiring HKE or HKA pilots is that they underestimate the cost of living and hence the lifestyle they'll have. I may sound like a lot of money to the uneducated (HK prices).

Be very cautions about you long term goals..

sorvad
18th Sep 2014, 13:05
Wise if not fairly obvious advise For once Yeager ....almost a shame you've carved out such a niche market on this forum for being such a complete and utter Tool

Yeager
19th Sep 2014, 00:51
Has it ever occurred to you Sorvad, that your none contributing comments are really just a reflection of yourself.. being a "working" ant, at CX, you should certainly know what being a tool is - I gotta give you that credit.. :p:D

HKE Insider
19th Sep 2014, 02:23
Talk of a bonus also - 12/24/36month and accom for first 2 weeks

Yes

Do pilots generally go through an agency or do some people apply/work/contract directly to/for the airline? If so is there any variation in benefits that you know of vs agency?

All pilots as I'm aware of are hired directly by the airline

sorvad
19th Sep 2014, 07:58
If 20 days off last month makes me a working ant, then I am quite content to be one

sorvad
19th Sep 2014, 08:07
I like the 'none' contributing comment too Yeager....it carries particular weight coming from you

bananaman2
19th Sep 2014, 10:41
... Ok thanks HKE Insider.

atpcliff
21st Sep 2014, 00:23
I was reading about the wife of an expat who was relocating to HKG. She was told her housing allowance was "reasonable". Her housing allowance was $75,000 HKD per month.

cpahka
21st Sep 2014, 01:05
the "reasonable" housing allowance, it should reach to HK$100,000 per month ! :O

jsfboat
9th Oct 2014, 21:27
I applied before I looked at this thread. Currently flying an ERJ in the US, but I think I'll stick to my regional here. Thanks for the info guys.

MoonandBack
10th Oct 2014, 14:53
Don't let PPRuNe ever put you off anything. Full of negativity from wannabes and bitter people. Give it a go if it interests you :)

malchogancho
7th Dec 2014, 14:29
Can anybody please tell me if HKE or HKA provide airplane tickets and/or hotel to attend the interview.

Thank you

Dan Winterland
9th Dec 2014, 09:02
Pilot's row over speaking English in cockpit of HK Express flight 'destroyed career' | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1653312/pilot-recalls-ouster-budget-airline-hk-express?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=outbrain&utm_campaign=OutbrainCampaign-Generic-Desktop)

Fliegenmong
9th Dec 2014, 09:39
Fark! :eek: That ain't Eddie the Eagle is it!??!?!

Yeah, sorry, couldn't resist.... :rolleyes:

highflyboy
18th Dec 2014, 19:54
I just applied there for non type rated first officer A320. I sent my résumé to their recruitment e-mail and through smart recruiters using my linkedin. I have about 1741 hours mostly multi turbine. I've been laid off for 8 months now. Im presently working as a record keeping assistant. The job doesn't sound so bad. As for the Hong Kong living doesn't sound much different than life here in the caribbean. I hope they send a response I'm very interested in seeing what they have to offer.

highflyboy
18th Dec 2014, 20:15
That's a good question I read somewhere that Hong Kong Airlines pays the ticket from a Hainan Airlines gateway. Seeing that they are sister companies I would like to assume they do but I too would like some clarity on this matter.

Lowkoon
18th Dec 2014, 22:26
"Hong Kong living doesnt sound much different to life in the Caribbean?" Please do a touch more homework than that. Is the carribean listed in the top most polluted places on earth now days? 11deg and rain as i type... Even just goggle Hong kong, see what you come up with. We do however have very few deaths attributed to falling coconuts here admittedly.

highflyboy
18th Dec 2014, 23:18
Ok clearly your touching one aspect of the situation. Name one decent airline in the Caribbean region. The caribbean is a large region and if you put it together things aren't that great for the islanders on a whole. If you want to individualize it's even worse because as a pilot in the caribbean region you're flying old aircraft for peanuts. If your lucky enough to get on a nice aircraft it's still peanuts.

Living in a a shoe box like some said here in the forum isn't any different than still living with your parents which happens a lot in the Caribbean region. If you're worried about the cost of living that's everywhere some places better than others. Average salary of $2000 in the caribbean barely gets you anything descent to live in. If you're at LIAT you get paid in EC which is even worse than the dollar.

If you're lucky enough to be from the U.S. Virgin Islands you might stand a chance with a regional in the US hopefully you get on to a major or legacy if not they have the chance to bail with descent jet time and get a job else where because everywhere hires US pilots yet they don't hire expats for no positions. So after all that explain what's the difference now between living in that shoe box having the opportunity to fly something descent and flying a crap making peanuts living in your parents house? Hong Kong doesn't sound so bad. The caribbean is pretty but living wise you're in for a bumpy ride. The difference is opportunity which isn't blooming in the Caribbean region at the moment.

Lowkoon
19th Dec 2014, 01:00
One aspect, ok, lets look at a few more. You might want to ask how many pilots on local terms can afford to house their family in something that would be considered liveable in any other country, "but it is HK you should expect it to be small." Why? No one ever seems to ask that, those that ask, leave.

How many local pilots still live with their family? A LOT. The lure of the big shinny jet is what keeps people coming, but that luster wears off quickly when you start to see the reality of living in one of the unhealthiest environments on earth with nothing to show for it at the end of the month except a few hours in your log book. Use it as a stepping stone, lucrative expat jobs in HK are a thing of the past. Spiraling cost of living cost of living that is not accurately measured in inflation figures, homes that are inadequate prison cells, and spiraling medical costs for untold damage we are doing to ourselves with every breath of chemicals that the government is too scared to measure accurately, and when they do, the actual figure becomes classified as a "State Secret". "Locally produced food" is affordable, but just google 'food safety china' and see why it is cheap. Then google "City Super" or "Taste" and see what you may have to pay for imported produce. Then google "Mislabeled produce at HK supermarkets", and see how much of the expensive stuff really is imported, or just mislabeled.

Also, the term shinny new jet is a myth. 30 days in HK air quality and the airframes are anything but shinny. The choice you are really making, is where would you rather be poor?

http://www.scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980w/public/2013/12/11/man_airplane_smog_china-environment-pollution-health_wh4106_38827903.jpg?itok=nFsBf_GT
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scmp.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2F files%2Fstyles%2F980w%2Fpublic%2F2013%2F12%2F11%2Fman_airpla ne_smog_china-environment-pollution-health_wh4106_38827903.jpg%253Fitok%253DnFsBf_GT&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scmp.com%2Fnews%2Fchina%2Farticle %2F1378217%2Fchinese-pilots-told-certify-smog-blind-landings&h=653&w=980&tbnid=eC9omMdW90UhpM%3A&zoom=1&docid=5W_fu72DSsvMnM&ei=YoaTVKHMI83n8AXJy4DICw&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ved=0CDAQMygoMCg4yAE&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=4641&page=12&start=236&ndsp=22 (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scmp.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2F files%2Fstyles%2F980w%2Fpublic%2F2013%2F12%2F11%2Fman_airpla ne_smog_china-environment-pollution-health_wh4106_38827903.jpg%253Fitok%253DnFsBf_GT&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scmp.com%2Fnews%2Fchina%2Farticle %2F1378217%2Fchinese-pilots-told-certify-smog-blind-landings&h=653&w=980&tbnid=eC9omMdW90UhpM%3A&zoom=1&docid=5W_fu72DSsvMnM&ei=YoaTVKHMI83n8AXJy4DICw&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ved=0CDAQMygoMCg4yAE&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=4641&page=12&start=236&ndsp=22)

highflyboy
19th Dec 2014, 11:34
That my boy I agree with you on it is truly where we would like to be poor. I think most are unrealistic about what they can get out of life. The way it sounds is like most of these pilots want to move to Hong Kong and bring along their families and apparently bring in all the bread without their spouses having to work. Not only in Hong Kong but anywhere in the world, not on a pilots salary at least. The air quality thing yea that's a bad situation but I'll relate it to the caribbean again during the hurricane season the people have no idea how much Sahara dust is in the air the whole time bring who knows what with it. I've heard most days the visibility is around 8km and on other days it's clear. In the southern caribbean their is an island of the coast of Venezuela called Curaçao and they have an oil refinery you want to talk about air pollution the air stinks sometimes and the fumes stay in the air a long while. My mental picture of Hong Kong is like that of New York a concrete jungle. New York's air quality is **** too man Las Vegas also and out west there is also the dust in the air. After a few drops of acid rain not even a car will look shiny anymore lol. I can't really say much about the food but most US foods aren't healthy either. With all those additives in it heart attack waiting to happen. I think most people find Qatar or Emirates the best choices but again you have air pollution and dust in the air but your salary is tax free though :). To me it consist of 2 questions first like you said "Where would you rather be poor?" And secondly "How long would you like to stay poor?" Just remember poor is a state of mind and everyone's defination of poor is different.

coldastone17
27th Aug 2015, 16:05
Any kind soul here can update info some info for HKE.?

Stuff like pay to expect for FOs and time to upgrade if you have are 5000 jet hours..Tks. Asking on behalf for a buddy..

Cheers

White None
28th Aug 2015, 03:19
Sounds a bit like

. "Mornin' Doc - Err.... My "friend" has a Wart on his ....etc"

coldastone17
28th Aug 2015, 04:31
White None...Tks for the update. I am sure your English grammar got a pass when you applied for any jobs in HKg.

Btw..if u have nothing nice to say, jus zip it mate!

White None
28th Aug 2015, 14:22
Sorry - Can't get Zip over Wart

(My friend that is)

Seriously - if I had any gem for you mate I'd give it, I just don't. Meanwhile we're generally trying to keep ourselves sane by the use of.....Humour??

Yeager
28th Aug 2015, 16:29
.. that was f@cking hilarious - sorry for the bloke who did not pick that one up though.. Maybe he'll pick something else up from his "friend".. :ok::}

BkkPilot
27th Nov 2015, 06:57
The contractual 8 days off a month, are those in a row or sprinkled?

AlexanderH
9th Dec 2015, 17:02
Does anyone have any information regarding the new interview screening? I shall be going over in early Jan.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Sino_pilot
23rd Dec 2015, 06:00
HKE Insider; you're a voice of reason in a sea of gibberish.
Can you advise what chance of an interview a1700 hr ATPL with recent A320 tr (but no t-o-t)?
Tkx in adv.

Sino_P

HKE Insider
27th Dec 2015, 12:59
Update

Hiring Requirements
Just apply. Seem to prefer time on type. Sometimes not.

Days off
Normally around 10 days off per month scatter throughout the month. Normally one block of 3 or 4 days off in a row.

AlexSame
3rd Jan 2016, 17:36
Could anyone suggest what includes the English test? Thanks in advance.

Cleared for take-off
8th Feb 2016, 16:39
Much news lately anyone?

A-V-8
13th Feb 2016, 16:59
Looking for that to. I am not typed. Loads of jet time.

greenpilot
12th Apr 2016, 14:45
I just got an invitation for a interview today. I have NO jet time and all the TP aircraft I have flown are under 5.7T

Anyone else get a mail???

crwkunt roll
13th Apr 2016, 00:31
Update

Hiring Requirements
Just apply.
Nooooo, they don't just take anyone?

Lowkoon
15th Apr 2016, 13:16
So where is the big commuting package they were going to roll out before the BA Roadshow? Who would have guessed it was just porky pies! Good luck tomorrow all those attending...

Trafalgar
15th Apr 2016, 16:23
Gentlemen: if you are 40ish or under, run, don't walk to a career in BA. If you stay here, you will wake up 5,10, 15 years down the road and BITTERLY regret not taking this opportunity. This company is doomed in the long run. No matter what the AT's tell you, you can be ASSURED that eventually they will prove hollow promises. Don't pass up the most fertile opportunity to establish yourselves in a proper aviation career, with a proper company, and proper work rules. Stay here and be guaranteed that you will wake up several years from now shedding bitter tears for missing this chance.

leondelfierro
21st Apr 2016, 13:30
I just got an invitation for a interview today. I have NO jet time and all the TP aircraft I have flown are under 5.7T

What position did you apply in the careers website?
I applied with 1700TT with a mix of Tprop and Jet time and got the no thanks email, i think it was because i applied to the A320 f/o vacancy. Not quite the one i would liked to put my info, but couldn't find a Non-Rated vacancy.

island_nomad
4th May 2016, 07:51
Hi

I have been invited to a HKE interview for A320 ntr fo position. Can anybody who has been recently please give me some feedback on the interview process, notably the sim check and individual interview.

Thanks

Lima Bravo
5th May 2016, 07:49
Got an invitation for an interview too, but still not sure if I'll be going or not, my main concerns being the high cost of accommodation, not being able to commute home and the MBA (G) which could be adjusted and the MBA (P) which could be cancelled!

FCOM737
11th May 2016, 23:34
Hi

I have been invited to a HKE interview for A320 ntr fo position. Can anybody who has been recently please give me some feedback on the interview process, notably the sim check and individual interview.

Thanks
Hi buddy, can You please let know how it goes afterwards? Thanks!

Anotherday
12th May 2016, 22:20
Curtain rod,

Approx 37 applied from CX

BA took 3 or maybe 2 (not exactly sure).

Sorry for thread drift.....

Anotherday
13th May 2016, 05:16
Curtain Rod, I have no idea.

Would you prefer senior experienced guys who weren't what they were looking for or didn't put the work in or a bunch of low experience guys who saw a good opportunity in front of them but needed a few more years on type?

Everyone experienced told me they could trip over walking down the street and get back up on their feet with a yes letter from BA in their pocket. It was that easy.

It would appear not so.

tocum
15th May 2016, 22:07
G'day folks

The salary package with HKE falls under these brackets
FO>3000 JET Basic 45,000 + MBAG 24,000 + MBAP 16,250(50hrs)
FO>1500 JET Basic 35,000 + MBAG 24,000 + MBAP 16,250(50hrs)
FO<1500 JET Basic 25,000 + MBAG 15,000 + MBAP 16,250(50hrs)
MBA- market base allowance General & productivity

I have 3500 hrs on heavy multi engine turboprop. Has anyone with only turboprop hours been able to negotiate with HKE so they don't fall in the lowest salary bracket?

Also, how much tax do aircrew normally pay in Hong Kong or does the company take care of it.

I realize rent and living expenses are expensive in HK, can anyone give current market details please.

Many thanks!

BuzzBox
15th May 2016, 23:03
Also, how much tax do aircrew normally pay in Hong Kong or does the company take care of it.

Don't make me laugh. The standard rate of tax in Hong Kong is a flat 15% of your taxable income. There's also a sliding scale of rates that favours those on lower salaries. Aircrew normally earn too much to come under the sliding scale, so their income is taxed at 15%.

Hong Kong also charges 'provisional' tax, so your first tax bill can be quite high. It will include the tax you owe on the income you've already earned, plus provisional tax for the following year's income.

Flying Mechanic
15th May 2016, 23:15
The only time your company pays your tax in HK is if you do a runner, then the company has to pay the bill. Seen it done a few times over the years in HK.

xavpic
1st Jun 2016, 14:55
Hi cessna95,
should arrive july 4 - let me know which hotel you stay?
Xavier

ncjulo
4th Jun 2016, 23:55
Hello guys,

how long did it take you to get an answer from the initial application on the net to the skype itw or the invitation to HK for the itws?

Thanks

runway07
5th Jun 2016, 00:42
Hi Cessna95

Just wonder what kind of experience do u have? Mind sharing with us?

takamasa
5th Jun 2016, 01:23
All turboprop. 2400++ total time.

Anything heavier 10000kg? Like atr/dash?

sandson
5th Jun 2016, 06:12
Yes, they pay on time, captain top salary around 140.000-160.000 HKD/month before taxes, FO top around 100.000 - 115.000 HKD/month.
Stable roster, almost never changes. Avg hours 70-80/month. Good standards, Average medical insurance, Myid Travel (only economy).

leondelfierro
6th Jun 2016, 02:54
Applied about a month ago for NTR F/O, still nothing from them, 1700ish hrs with some 400hr Midsize Jet...

Anything heavier 10000kg? Like atr/dash?
Seems to me that this might weight a bit more than jet time for HKE, besides my TT maybe is a bit low.

ToMCAT_FR
21st Jun 2016, 14:46
Applied last week and got an email from Recruitment Team 5 days after application was sent for Skype English test /Interview; 2800TT/500PIC on light Jet/based in BKK for 6 years extensive flight exp in South East Asia.

I'd be happy to hear from you all that got interviewed recently for any tips/trick I should expect..
much appreciate any input,
Cheers

Danny2009
27th Jun 2016, 12:41
Hi Guys, I have also been invited for an interview with HKE in August. Any advise/info?

Danny2009
28th Jun 2016, 12:34
Hi Guys,

Would anyone like to share their experience at the interview with HKE?

ryotan16
2nd Jul 2016, 02:24
I would appreciate it if someone could post what to expect for skype Engish interview. Thanks in advance!

Stallone
2nd Jul 2016, 15:30
well the biggest hurdle of moving to HKG is always the accommodation cost

Tazmaniac
3rd Jul 2016, 23:42
I would appreciate it if someone could post what to expect for skype Engish interview. Thanks in advance!

Expect somone testing your capacity remeber things.. It's easy, about 15min.

They ask you phrases and you need to talk what you heard with your own words.

The women who does the test speaks real fast, and she doesnt repeat the setence.

Audio quality is good, accent is good (australian probabbly).

Tazmaniac
4th Jul 2016, 00:06
Any info about the 1 day interview ?

Flying Clog
4th Jul 2016, 23:05
Regarding the accommodation costs that Stallone mentioned... that's the fly in the ointment.

I'm assuming an HKE F/O will make about 80k per month.

A decent flat (IMHO) for a family of four will cost about 40-50k per month unless you want to make your family suffer and end up divorced.

Do the maths. It's not THAT difficult. You're disposal income will be F all, and you'll NEVER get on the property ladder here.

ncjulo
6th Jul 2016, 03:19
Hello,

Can you guys share the latest feedbacks for the interview & simcheck please?
I am going at the end of the month.

Thanks a lot

ryotan16
8th Jul 2016, 02:10
>Tazmaniac
Thanks! Is there anyway we can prepare for it or there is not much we can do about it?

hyg
8th Jul 2016, 11:37
Regarding the accommodation costs that Stallone mentioned... that's the fly in the ointment.

I'm assuming an HKE F/O will make about 80k per month.

A decent flat (IMHO) for a family of four will cost about 40-50k per month unless you want to make your family suffer and end up divorced.

Do the maths. It's not THAT difficult. You're disposal income will be F all, and you'll NEVER get on the property ladder here.

If you're coming to HK expecting to live in the same sort of space as you are back home, ie 2-3000 sqft house, it's sure gonna cost more than $50000 a month....

??? Parc Palais - ???? STATELYHOME (http://www.statelyhome.com.hk/en/PropertyDetail.aspx?ID=b4e0d004-c53e-4cc4-919a-a77c49790ac6)

??? King's Park Villa - ???? STATELYHOME (http://www.statelyhome.com.hk/en/PropertyDetail.aspx?ID=53f9db40-ced7-4b36-a30b-7fde876036b7&isClear=1)

These example apartment cost $30000 a month, got 3 bedrooms including an ensuite, these are considered to be luxury accommodation by local standard, lots of Brits live around that area when HK was still a colony....

Jobs with gigantic housing allowance are rare in HK these days unless you are a top exec with global corporations. You just gotta be realistic about things in HK, properties here are the most expensive in the world, groceries are bloody expensive, if you are only willing to hang around the old expat areas like mid levels, happy valley, pok fu lam etc on the Island, it's gonna be tough with $80000 a month, but just a reminder, the mean household income in HK is less than $30000 a month

Tazmaniac
12th Jul 2016, 12:58
>Tazmaniac
Thanks! Is there anyway we can prepare for it or there is not much we can do about it?

IMHO there's nothing you can study to do the test, if you have a icao level 4/5 you will pass without problems.

ryotan16
13th Jul 2016, 17:46
IMHO there's nothing you can study to do the test, if you have a icao level 4/5 you will pass without problems.

@Tazmaniac
Thanks. Looks like I have passed. Waiting for the interview date. How did your interview go?

RedDragonFlyer
14th Jul 2016, 09:30

Not that much IMO. In Hong Kong the sky's the limit, but I would say a decent, modern, fairly well-located 3-bed apartment could be had for less than 30k per month.

Obviously you're not going to get a house with 1000s of square feet on that salary, but it's Hong Kong.

In reality 80,000HKD is a very good salary in HK, and is far above the average local salary. As a point of reference... local shop workers/ waiters earn around 40HKD per hour (8000 for a 200 hour month), most new graduate jobs offer 9.5 to 12k per month. Mid-level managers earn around 20 to 25k per month.
Even for expats, the number earning over 80k will be a very small percentage of the overall total. And in no industry (except for very senior executives) does anyone offer generous expat benefits in HK anymore.

Dan Winterland
14th Jul 2016, 11:20
Yes, that's all good and well. But it's more about what your expectations are. Your quality of life in HK will be very restricted by your income compared with what you are used to in your home country, and trust me - the novelty of Asia will soon wear off if you're broke. And if it's OK, getting by is one thing. Saving for your future is another.

As just wait until marriage and kids come along. You aren't going to be able to live as an expat. Even the much better terms and conditions on the Dragonair 'Standard Contract' isn't enough when that happens. Pilots are leaving when the kids get to school age. You simply can't afford it - you will be going backwards.

Hong Kong is very, very expensive if you want to maintain some semblance of the life you had at home. And with a wife who is slowly going mad cooped up in a tiny apartment, you will find out why Hong Kong has a reputation as a marriage graveyard. This deal is a short term 'getting experience' job and not for the long term.

Trafalgar
14th Jul 2016, 14:23
Listen to Dan. The cost of living in HK is at LEAST 3X what it is a normal country. In other words, a salary of 9K USD is the same as 3K USD in the USA. You will NOT have a good life here on the salary they are paying. You WILL end up bitter and unhappy. Be warned.

azhkman
15th Jul 2016, 03:10
I think the big point is that you would not be able to save beyond employer contribution to MPF. I'd argue the same for 3k / month in the US, ironically I've had both salaries, 3k / month in Phoenix and 75k / month in Hong Kong. The other issue you'll have in HK is inflation, it's a real cost. In the US it seems it is less so. Example: Frozen Tyson Chicken Breasts when I arrive were around HK135 (9 years ago) and now they are around HK180.

For 25-30k / month you can get a decent (3bd, 2ba, + maids room) new build in Tung Chung. Your best bet is to meet a few agents and ask them to call you when they sell a unit from the developer to see if the new owner wants to rent it. With negotiating you should be able to take 1k off a month the asking price.

For HK Island, 25-30k will get you a shoebox of dubious quality. My budget was 30-35k. I found a perfect spot for 40k on Littlyton Road, but she would not negotiate, and it had no view. I found new & tiny with amenities in Kennedy Town, where I ultimately ended up (714 sq ft, 3bd, 2ba, buiding, pool, gym, near MTR). I also found large and really old. For 30k I found a 1400 sq ft in Sai Yin Pun, but the baths and kitchen were so old, the pipes to feed the faucets came through the window to the taps. I also found 1100 sq ft, renovated bathrooms, but very old kitchen, for 32k, in Sai Yin Pun. Wife wanted amenities so we went to Kennedy Town.

For families, unless you are receiving assistance for schooling forget it. The debenture alone will bankrupt you. We just had triplet daughters (4 weeks old now) and will likely move out of HK when they are 2. The cost of a school ranges from 8k to 14k / month, and schools seek donations on top of that. Both my wife and I work, but we would have been here 11 years by that point and it would be time to pass the torch to someone else.

80k & Single? Hell yeah--until you marry and have children.

jetjockey696
16th Jul 2016, 16:57
This how $10k hkd 1000sqft apartment look like .. ( a SMART CAR might be bigger)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160713161848-hong-kong-photo-benny-lam-restricted-3-super-43.jpg

spend a little more..$20K.. luxury shoebox..
http://imguol.com/2013/03/14/14mar2013---a-ong-de-hong-kong-society-for-community-organization-soco-divulgou-uma-serie-de-fotos-que-mostra-residencias-minusculas-e-seus-moradores-as-imagens-feitas-de-cima-mostram-familias-de-1363258870499_956x500.jpg

BUT of course you can save a lot more by sharing your apartment with buddy pilots..

you thought of living like this...
https://copelandcommunications.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/screen-shot-2012-01-17-at-4-07-11-am.png?w=490&h=327

but you end up with this.
http://www.romankrznaric.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HK-caged-man-4.jpg

Life after flight/slaving (hobby for some)...

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160705163338-hong-kong-photo-wei-leng-tay-restricted-super-43.jpg

Newly built Hong Kong pilot's housing complex..

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160715105243-michael-wolf-hong-kong-super-43.jpg

just in case if you got kids... (i feels sorry for them)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160705173827-hong-kong-photo-akif-hakan-celebi-2-restricted-super-43.jpg

jayjay340
25th Jul 2016, 13:42
Does Hong Kong Express give any housing allowance?

I cant seem to find that particular answer, i might have missed it.

njdjl2000
27th Jul 2016, 12:58
no...they do not give housing $$$

Sue Ridgepipe
28th Jul 2016, 09:53
no...they do not give housing $$$
Yes they do. They pay an allowance of $24k per month that is meant to include, amongst other things, housing/accommodation.

airdualbleedfault
30th Jul 2016, 01:09
Jet jockey, hilarious :O

blueskyahead
31st Jul 2016, 11:07
Hey guy I am heading over in August for an interview. Quite positive things i have heard from the company overall. Can someone please fill me in on anyinformation for the interview or PM me. cheers

ncjulo
1st Aug 2016, 11:42
Hi,

just passed the interviews, PM you tomorrow.

Cheers!

ToMCAT_FR
2nd Aug 2016, 09:59
Hey Mate
Here is what to expect for the SKYPE ENGLISH TEST:
3 to 5 sentences paragraph read out loud by a lady; point is to repeat the all thing without missing key points, short term memory and comprehension I guess...
She will have 4 or 5 short paragraph like that for u to repeat ... each time she picks up one word and ask you to give a synonym and/or a quick definition of the word. Overall the test takes 10 to 15min, sound quality was good but I used an headset to ensure quietness ... Anyone with L4 ICAO should pass without probs.
No answer is given by the end of the test and it takes up to 72Hrs to get a GO/NOGO from recruitment Team.
Hope this helps the followings guy gals scheduled for the skype test..
Cheers

blueskyahead
8th Aug 2016, 11:25
Hello,

Can you guys share the latest feedbacks for the interview & simcheck please?
I am going at the end of the month.

Thanks a lot
ncjulo can you let me know how the sim went?

ncjulo
9th Aug 2016, 10:54
Hi,

the sim went well but I found it pretty tough!

blueskyahead
10th Aug 2016, 08:56
PM me some details?

autopilot3
11th Aug 2016, 07:42
Hi ncjulo. Would you mind telling us which part is tough? Handling, tracking, raw data approach, EFATO or others? Thanks a lot!

ncjulo
11th Aug 2016, 10:22
Hi,

the overall simride in fact, I found the joy pretty sensitive. And as I have never flown on Airbus I was stuck on the pfd!!

ncjulo
11th Aug 2016, 10:23
@blueskyahead: did you get my messages??

blueskyahead
11th Aug 2016, 12:22
nah mate, nothing yet. If you click on the last tab should be able to email message me?

autopilot3
12th Aug 2016, 04:37
@ncjulo, you nailed it. This is the most important part! When will you start with HKE?

ncjulo
15th Aug 2016, 07:03
In January 2017.

Do you join as well?

ncjulo
15th Aug 2016, 07:04
@blueskyahead: Mate, PM me and I'll reply to you coz I think it didn't work when i wrote you messages..

Cheers

Ecam321
15th Aug 2016, 16:02
A heads up for all you experienced A320 First Officers thinking of applying to HKE.

HKA is now advertising with CAE Parc for direct entry FO fast command upgrade 12-18 months. HKE currently very slow with upgrades, could take a new joiner now up to at least 5-6 years, even with experience. Currently upgrading 4-5 FOs per year, HKA looks a much brighter option for FOs.

Just saying...

autopilot3
16th Aug 2016, 05:52
In January 2017.

Do you join as well?
I am planning to apply for it soon. What make you wait so long to Jan 17?

DM777
18th Aug 2016, 05:38
Are you guys applying through agencies or directly from the HK Express website?

Could anyone advice what the difference is, thought I saw housing included on the CAE Parc website, could anyone confirm that.

DM777

patu79
18th Aug 2016, 17:57
Hi ncjulo! I'm going for the tests in October, could you please either PM me or write here for a brief summary what is happening exactly on day 1. I received the info of, Group Excercises, Indivudual Interview and SIM.
Is the group excercises actual group discussion on topics and challenges? or Compass Tests?

Thank you for help :)

Hi,

just passed the interviews, PM you tomorrow.

Cheers!

patu79
18th Aug 2016, 18:33
Hi All, could someone please share the latest assessment process at HK Express???

I am going in October myself and so far on the email sent to me it states, Group Excercise, Individual Interivew and SIM.

So, could someone either PM me, or who has recently been to their assessment reply here and inform of the details, please and thank you :)

Like, is there Compass Testing on day 1?? If so, which one is it?

Thank you to all... Going as FO for A320 rated applicant

patu79
19th Aug 2016, 06:17
Are you guys applying through agencies or directly from the HK Express website?

Could anyone advice what the difference is, thought I saw housing included on the CAE Parc website, could anyone confirm that.

DM777

CAE Parc is only for Hong Kong Airlines, and for Hong Kong Express is only through their website currently.
But you can apply for Hong Kong Airlines also via their own website and I would recommend that way first.

ryotan16
20th Aug 2016, 20:40
Hi guys,
I'm going to attend interview screening in September.
Simrise, written, English test, interview with management etc...
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

DM777
21st Aug 2016, 09:48
CAE Parc is only for Hong Kong Airlines, and for Hong Kong Express is only through their website currently.

Patu79

I saw HK Express through Sigma Aviation Services as well, an agency I think, just wanted to get the positives and negatives from both options.

Can you elaborate why going through the Hong Kong Airlines website is better than through agencies, a bit fresh regarding agencies.

Thanks

DM777

TORDEA
22nd Aug 2016, 06:22
In January 2017.

Do you join as well?
Hi there, I am going for the interview soon at HKE. Do you have any tips please?

patu79
23rd Aug 2016, 02:24

Patu79

I saw HK Express through Sigma Aviation Services as well, an agency I think, just wanted to get the positives and negatives from both options.

Can you elaborate why going through the Hong Kong Airlines website is better than through agencies, a bit fresh regarding agencies.

Thanks

DM777

I would just go directly to the source, agencies might hold fees and there's all sorts of rumours both good and bad online from various agencies. Why deal with a middle man when you can apply directly with the airlines..
I personally applied to both HKA and HKE and am going for both assessments September / October...

Don't know much about the assessments except what they've said to me on emails what to expect, so good luck to all and blue skies... Myself I'm an Challenger 605 Captain and with A320 previous experience with current validation, just wanting to change from business jet flying of 8 years back to commercial and Asia is the place to be, at least for myself... But in Europe and elsewhere there are also good opportunities, each to their own..

Again, if anyone has anything to share about the current assessment at HKE, please share with us all, thank you..

patu79
23rd Aug 2016, 02:29
Had i known better, I would have never wasted my time going to this circus show. Many more valuable options out there people. Waste of time.

Hi, can you please elaborate further what you mean exactly ???
Did you go to the assessment and/or work there and so on ???

Thanks in advance for sharing..

patu79
23rd Aug 2016, 02:31
Hi guys,
I'm going to attend interview screening in September.
Simrise, written, English test, interview with management etc...
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Hi, can you PM me, or share your contact information with me please, as I'm going same time myself.

Ecam321
23rd Aug 2016, 04:50
For Captains, NTR FOs and very low hour TR FOs Hongkong Express is a good job. If you are an experienced A320 FO then HKE is a waste of your time. They put no emphasis on experience in that company, counts for nothing. Career development for FOs is limited to say the least. Captains have more chance to be trainers than FOs got a chance to upgrade.
Much better options in Hongkong, include direct entry FO at both CX and KA, both actively recruiting. And Hongkong Airlines actively recruiting and offering commuting and fast upgrades.

Just saying ..,,,

Ecam321
27th Aug 2016, 05:44
When you join a rapidly expanding LCC you have expectations that there will be opportunities for career development as an FO.

The opposite is true, in fact you would probably be a wide body captain at any of the Middle East 3 before being a A320 captain in HKE, if you joined now. 90 FOs at the moment max 5 upgrades per year, do the math ! Yet they are going to receive 24 aircraft in the next two years. Like I said before if your a low houred Captain you have a great opportunity to become a trainer or management. But as an experienced FO you are left to rot.

Just saying..

autopilot3
31st Aug 2016, 14:47
Is there anyone going for an interview next month?

jetjockey696
3rd Sep 2016, 17:33
I see HKE doing a roadshow in GAtwick CAE London Gatwick Training Centre. OCT 27-29th for Captain ONLY.

Ecam321
4th Sep 2016, 06:39
I believe Mr Jetjockey that it's HKA in Gatwick, not HKE.
HKA are more proactive in doing what it takes to get pilots like roadshows, commuting and upgrades.
HKE just rely on their source of migrating pilots from Brazil, they don't need to try.

Just saying

autopilot3
5th Sep 2016, 07:40
I think they are actually doing it.
https://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/db16c65b-9f9d-4869-9e93-ae53904b85df-original.png

Ecam321
6th Sep 2016, 02:19
I'm impressed, roadshows for Captains only !! If they can go to all that effort, why not just implement a more productive upgrade program for there own FOs ? Oh and throw in a bit of commuting as well and they might actually recruit captains who have more than the bare minimum requirements.

Just saying...

luisnavm
27th Sep 2016, 08:48
Hello! I have an interview with HKE next month and would very much appreciate any info you have on the process. Specially on the Sim and any technical test/questions you had.

Thanks in advance.

rusbuspilot
27th Sep 2016, 11:00
Any info about selection process at HKE?

luisnavm
27th Sep 2016, 11:35
I see HKE doing a roadshow in GAtwick CAE London Gatwick Training Centre. OCT 27-29th for Captain ONLY.

It's for FO's too.

ryotan16
2nd Oct 2016, 18:55
latestpilotjobs.com will do it.
Subscribe and study hard on it.
All info needed for this eval is there.

volare_737
4th Oct 2016, 02:47
Just been told from one of the agencies. Apparently if one is not current on the A320 its ones own responsibility to get current at ones own costs. Anybody got any experience with that ?

ryotan16
11th Oct 2016, 17:17
For those got hired, how long after successful assessment did you hear from the company for further information with regard to contract or training date etc...?

fire1982
13th Oct 2016, 16:17
for me 1 week after the medical and still waiting

ryotan16
14th Oct 2016, 11:59
For me a little bit over two weeks and notiing is heard yet. No officail congrats or no thanks.

fire1982
14th Oct 2016, 12:29
but it s normal all so much time? anyone who is inside now, can tell how long usually they take for giving news?
Thanks

rsb
15th Oct 2016, 08:30
If the threads above are indicative of the standard of English accepted by HKA or HKE heaven help us in the skies over and around HKG!

fire1982
15th Oct 2016, 10:41
rsb, please use better your time, this is not a forum for
"these types" of comments.

volare_737
21st Oct 2016, 03:07
Quick question. Does HKE and HKA have mandatory provident funds, and if they do, how much, or how many percent is the employee and the employers contribution ?

Ecam321
21st Oct 2016, 06:51
Quick question. Does HKE and HKA have mandatory provident funds, and if they do, how much, or how many percent is the employee and the employers contribution ?

1500 HKD from both company and employee regardless of salary or position !!!

Pretty poor.

Soumneal
2nd Nov 2016, 11:21
Dear all, i've been invited as an A320 first officer (1148 hrs on type) for the assessment in 23-24th Nov. According to what i've been told by the HKE, the assessment consists of:
-Group exercise,
-individual interview and
-sim

Since however, i received the e-mail stating those above in late Sept. and due to the past changes people mensioned here (like the Compass Test), started to be a bit nervous about what's waiting for me there.

I'd be grateful if somebody recently entered the assessment gives some updates, both about the overall assessment and the sim.

Best wishes,

Soum

Soumneal
2nd Nov 2016, 11:23
I'd also be glad to meet the fellows who are attending on the same days, if they happen to pm me.

Mgggpilot
2nd Nov 2016, 22:13
Hi
The interview at Gatwick, UK was straight forward.

Firstly Personal interview with one of HKE captains
Secondly Simulator check. Hong Kong airport departure No Fd no AT no Ap followed by Steep turns then ILS appch. Thereafter Go around and you will have FD and AT still no AP. Clean and one engine fails. This followed by Single engine. ILS approach with FD, AT but no AP and full stop landing. End of SIM.

Then a pass or fail just after SIM.
If you pass.......
Thirdly and lastly Medicals after which you go home and wait for good or bad news within two weeks

I hope that helps.

Mgggpilot
3rd Nov 2016, 07:50
Any FO working for HKE please PM me.
Thanks.

Soumneal
3rd Nov 2016, 16:10
Hi
The interview at Gatwick, UK was straight forward.

Firstly Personal interview with one of HKE captains
Secondly Simulator check. Hong Kong airport departure No Fd no AT no Ap followed by Steep turns then ILS appch. Thereafter Go around and you will have FD and AT still no AP. Clean and one engine fails. This followed by Single engine. ILS approach with FD, AT but no AP and full stop landing. End of SIM.

Then a pass or fail just after SIM.
If you pass.......
Thirdly and lastly Medicals after which you go home and wait for good or bad news within two weeks

I hope that helps.

Much appreciated. Just one small one: how was the steep turn, like how much bank did they ask you to do?

Cheers

Mgggpilot
4th Nov 2016, 21:31
Much appreciated. Just one small one: how was the steep turn, like how much bank did they ask you to do?

Cheers
@Soumneal I was just maintaining a little over 40 degrees and no word from examiner

Cheers

wagon007
10th Nov 2016, 12:35
super easy interview. nothing really hard on HR questions. they both only ask you based on the paper that the HR team gives them. why HKE, How long do u expect to live in HK, how can youu aspires us, what are your strength, what do like about HK, and many more I dont even care to remember..

For the SIM profile: take off RW 25R no AP no FD (bird on, makes ur life much easy) no A/THR climb to 5000 rwy heading. reduce THR at 1500' clean up at 3000' ( I think its related to Noise Abatement proc in HK) reach 5000' level off to do some steep turn L or R it depends. and then the Almighty tells u to track MACAO VOR radial 040 inbound (6 of us got the same scenario). once they satisfy, then radar vector for RW07L ILS. at minimum GO-AROUND N-1 after V2 and then vector RW07L but this time with all the fancy automation.

In my case: after I did the steep turn (ups and down less than 100') and 1 radial track,they vectored me for ILS appr then about 20miles before the Almighty told me to fly visually which I landed it for full stop. and then I FAILED the test... be very carefull for those who already rated and lots of hours. mine was 3098.24 rated on type and they failed me for not wearing any tie during the interview Im guessing.. GOODLUCK ALL!!Dont loose it, dont forget to wear TIE and SUIT. I can say HKE is a great company to start as a career and building hours

Soumneal
16th Nov 2016, 04:16
super easy interview. nothing really hard on HR questions. they both only ask you based on the paper that the HR team gives them. why HKE, How long do u expect to live in HK, how can youu aspires us, what are your strength, what do like about HK, and many more I dont even care to remember..

For the SIM profile: take off RW 25R no AP no FD (bird on, makes ur life much easy) no A/THR climb to 5000 rwy heading. reduce THR at 1500' clean up at 3000' ( I think its related to Noise Abatement proc in HK) reach 5000' level off to do some steep turn L or R it depends. and then the Almighty tells u to track MACAO VOR radial 040 inbound (6 of us got the same scenario). once they satisfy, then radar vector for RW07L ILS. at minimum GO-AROUND N-1 after V2 and then vector RW07L but this time with all the fancy automation.

In my case: after I did the steep turn (ups and down less than 100') and 1 radial track,they vectored me for ILS appr then about 20miles before the Almighty told me to fly visually which I landed it for full stop. and then I FAILED the test... be very carefull for those who already rated and lots of hours. mine was 3098.24 rated on type and they failed me for not wearing any tie during the interview Im guessing.. GOODLUCK ALL!!Dont loose it, dont forget to wear TIE and SUIT. I can say HKE is a great company to start as a career and building hours

That's gonna help a lot; thank you for sharing, Wagon007. Sorry about the tie thing 8(

rsb
18th Nov 2016, 02:30
You just proved my point.

MENELAUS
18th Nov 2016, 10:35
----Redacted.

cessna95
22nd Nov 2016, 08:34
the Almighty Leny and Gilberto.......

volare_737
22nd Nov 2016, 23:44
If one would have the opportunity to work for either HKA or HKE which one would most people prefer to work for and why ?

volare_737
30th Nov 2016, 00:20
Not many answers on this - all must be good then !!!!!

Mgggpilot
30th Nov 2016, 08:14
For quick command upgrade I would go for HKE because of their plan of expansion. Now 17 A320 and in 2018 30 A320.

izu
3rd Dec 2016, 01:50
Does HKE provide ticket and Hotel if the interview is in Hong Kong ?

volare_737
3rd Dec 2016, 02:37
yes they do provide !!

jetjockey696
3rd Dec 2016, 03:40
Only on HKE network.. if you live in thailand, japan, korea and china you get a free ticket. otherwise you pay for the ticket.

volare_737
3rd Dec 2016, 05:20
They do - I know from my own experience - you might be thinking of HKA !!

leondelfierro
3rd Dec 2016, 14:21
Only on HKE network.. if you live in thailand, japan, korea and china you get a free ticket. otherwise you pay for the ticket.

Nope, i am based way far from any HKE route and was provided a ticket from home airport to HKG

Soumneal
6th Dec 2016, 13:39
Hello again. I'm posting my answer to a fellow pilot asking about my assessment. I failed, but the assessment was pretty fair, in my humble opinion.

There was only a private interview and a sim after that. No technical questions, no language test. There also was no such thing as a group exercise; the only thing done as a group was docs check and the company introduction by two captains who handled the whole thing.

Before the sim, they made a short briefing, so no syllabi or anything like that was given. The exercise was t/o without a/p and a/thr, just the bird was allowed. Straight-out after t/o, climb to 5000', a single 45-degree steep turn, then radial tracking inbound (radial was 020 and we were about 15 nm away; so whenever i asked for the course 200 in radnav, they said it was ok. Didn't waste time waiting to catch the radial). After that, descent to 2000' vectors for raw data ils, GA and after that a/thr and fds will be on (don't know if they also give the a/p, since i failed before that). Some say, they cut an engine during go around as a surprise item, fyi.

MCDU was all prepared. No QRH was necessary, but they expect short but proper briefings with appropriate procedure.

That's all i know about it. I'll share this in the forum, too. Good luck to all.

pfvspnf
7th Dec 2016, 01:24
Why did you fail ?

Soumneal
14th Dec 2016, 04:53
Why did you fail ?

Messed uo catching the loc during manual flight. Had to go around and ask for re-vectoring for ILS, but they just repositioned me with a/thr and FDs on to short final. That meant "ok, make your landing and go", to me 8(

fractal
14th Dec 2016, 11:53
The screening is fair. There will be two captains and two people from the HR department.
They will ask you to take with you all the documents that they requested in the previos email. They are gonna check them with you personally.
Then there will be a personal interview, straightforward, no tricks, fair. Try to be yourself and explain your doubts there.
After that, you will be told your simulator session time in the afternoon.
The simulator session is widely explained in previos posts. And it is like it is, no tricks and nothing new. Then, you will wait after the simulator for half an hour or so until one of the HR representatives come to you and tell you that you have passed and give you a time for the medical next day or that you have failed and thanks you for having made the assessment with them.
Try not to celebrate anything on that day in case you pass. Beers won't make any good to you for the medical exam.
Hope that helps.
Goodluck!!!

MENELAUS
14th Dec 2016, 16:06
Yes beers won't make good to you at any stage of a selection. And remember and try and use English. Not Dothraki. Dothraki won't make any good to you either

pfvspnf
15th Dec 2016, 09:25
Lol @ dothraki

Good advice on the beers , avoid until you're done your medical

@soumneal

Sorry to hear, can happen to the best of us , good luck in your search

volare_737
18th Dec 2016, 03:02
Curtain could you elaborate on "but soon you will see that you're way better off without them", would be nice to get some inside info. You can pm me if you like. Thanks in advance !!!!

volare_737
24th Dec 2016, 04:03
Well - not much input on here. Can only be a good thing !!!
Should there be any current HKE captains who are willing to share a few rosters with me , that would be greatly appreciated !!!!
Any other input about HKE and live in Hong Kong, good or bad , please share.
Pm or post on here !!!
Thanks all !!

Soumneal
25th Dec 2016, 19:21
Lol @ dothraki

Good advice on the beers , avoid until you're done your medical

@soumneal

Sorry to hear, can happen to the best of us , good luck in your search

Thank you. 8)

ROW_BOT
17th Jan 2017, 02:18
HKE Pilots have reached the limit of their tolerance and are to commence industrial action in May/June if Management continue to ignore and refuse to recognise the EAPA.
This is a courageous and necessary action, and I wish you guys every success. ��

Turkpilot
17th Jan 2017, 04:17
HKE Pilots have reached the limit of their tolerance and are to commence industrial action in May/June if Management continue to ignore and refuse to recognise the EAPA.
This is a courageous and necessary action, and I wish you guys every success. ��

I'm supposed to join this company as a captain. Can someone pls tell me what's going on

MENELAUS
17th Jan 2017, 10:11
They're a f#cking shower; that's what's going on,...

Turkpilot
17th Jan 2017, 10:55
They're a f#cking shower; that's what's going on,...

Do you have a more intelligent response?

MENELAUS
18th Jan 2017, 04:50
Sadly not; caveat emptor as they say..Do your research..Plenty of previous comments on here and elsewhere about them.

Turkpilot
18th Jan 2017, 13:21
Sadly not; caveat emptor as they say..Do your research..Plenty of previous comments on here and elsewhere about them.

I did so my research. So difficult for you to explain what is posted? Ridiculous

ROW_BOT
18th Jan 2017, 15:50
Turkpilot, it's simple. The contract you are about to sign will be changed on a whim, without consultation with you or anyone else. This has already happened and has had a major financial impact on the pilots of this group of airlines.
There is a pilots association - EAPA - which in the case of HKE has a membership of at least 70%, but HKE management refuse to talk to them or recognise them. It is a legally registered Union in Hong Kong.
If you worked in THY before you may be used to having no union representation, or having management ram contract changes down your throat, so this may or may not actually bother you. It's your decision.
For the record - the pilots employed by HKE/HKA in Hong Kong are probably the cheapest A320/330 pilots anywhere in China, on the worst contract terms and conditions in China.

Sue Ridgepipe
19th Jan 2017, 00:14
For the record - living in mainland China is totally different from living in Hong Kong. There is a reason why the mainland carriers have to pay big $$$ to attract foreign pilots.....

Dan Winterland
19th Jan 2017, 01:22
On the money that HKA/HKE pay, it's not a great lifestyle. If you look at the cost of living in HK, the big $$$ suddenly seem very small $$$.

jetjockey696
19th Jan 2017, 02:52
Turkpilot, If you have children, your money $$$ will become $. Schools here drain your money faster than a mistress, thats if you can find a school, near your area of residence. Remember the older the kids faster your money goes.

I think the money is Ok, if you are single and young or married without kids, stay your term with HKE/HKA enjoy HKG then move on to start a family.

ROW_BOT
19th Jan 2017, 07:58
For the record - living in mainland China is totally different from living in Hong Kong. There is a reason why the mainland carriers have to pay big $$$ to attract foreign pilots..... The air is slightly dirtier. Is that what you mean?
The food and water is certain to be contaminated, rather than just 'probably' contaminated? Is that what you mean?
You'll work harder, and get more hassle from Chinese management? You should try HKA/HKE for a while - it's the same deal. HKA/HKE flies into PRC.
What's left....uh...schools? Read above comments.
Accommodation? Its cheaper and more spacious in China Mainland!
The 'social scene' is poorer? Maybe - but if you're busting your ass in HKE you won't do a lot of partying, you'll be too knackered - Max Duty/Min Rest, Single Day Off followed by 6AM start....where's the 'fun' in that? Probably better to make big money fast in PRC for a few years and then GTFO.

You'd think with all the 'benefits' (living in beautiful HKG, expanding airline etc) the cream of the industry would be beating a path to their door. But they aren't. They are struggling to attract qualified people. Guess why?

There are other airlines based in HKG, and they pay their FO's the same as a HKE/HKA Capt. and the T&C's are streets ahead (in spite of their constant whining).
HKE pilots haven't had a payrise in 5 yrs (4% p.a. inflation). Annual Leave is a pathetic 28 days. No Commuting.
Check it out.

kolob666
19th Jan 2017, 10:44
Row_Bot is unfortunately correct on all counts.

Turkpilot
19th Jan 2017, 17:17
Guys, im not turkish. I go by that name as i spent a few years living there. I also spent last 6 years working in China on the 737. I don't have kids so not a problem there. My friend is a current Captain at HKE, just started last year and he is only flying about 65 hours per month. Schedule is easy.

As for the terms, yes not the best for sure. Flying in mainland china sucked balls. Pay was great, and at the company i worked for (shenzhen airlines) they treated us well and didnt bother us too much i have to admit i enjoyed it to a point. But the delays, killed me.

I do have other opportunities so i might in the end not goto HKE. What concerns me most now is not how much money i make, but i want the job with the least amount of BS to deal with.

mngmt mole
20th Jan 2017, 00:11
Turkpilot. I can assure you that at HKE, you will have minimum money and maximum BS. Don't jump from the frying pan into the fire.