PDA

View Full Version : Air Mail !

Trislander
23rd May 2002, 14:04
Hi fellow flyers,

My brand new PPL(A) finally dropped thru the letterbox this morning after about 30 days of waiting! :D
I am very excited as I'm sure you can imagine! Now I can't wait to get flying. I haven't been up since I passed my skills test in April!

I have read AerBabe's thread on what to do after getting the PPL- v. helpful. Hope I can afford to go flying once I start uni!

A quick question: what is involved in converting to a larger 6-seat aircraft such as the cherokee 6?

Cheers, Tri :)

carbheatcold
23rd May 2002, 14:38
Congratulations Trislander on your shiny new PPL.

Regarding your question, if you did your PPL in Cessna's I would go and try out a Warrior or Archer first if you have not flown one.

For a Cherokee 6 you will need variable pitch prop (VP) training and maybe minor differences training. The handling is similar to the Warrior or Archer although the Cherokee 6 goes faster and is quite easy to get behind (that was my first experience with it anyway - the good ole 3 counties circuit!!). Another useful thing would be deep pockets, the one I used to fly was in the region of £175 per hour dual/wet. You may find that you are required to have a certain number of hours PIC for insurance.

I am sure an Instructor will be able to give you more accurate info.

chc

FlyingForFun
23rd May 2002, 14:56
I'd agree about the speed being the biggest problem. I did my PPL in a Warrior, then converted to the Super Cub. At about 150hrs (so quite a lot more than you've got), I checked out in an Arrow. The wobbly prop and retractable gear are easy. But the speed that everything happens - particularly in the circuit - took a bit of adjusting to.

During the checkout, it was just a case of repeating things over and over until I finally got the downwind checks finished with time to spare, had time on base to fine the prop, and so on. Once I got checked out, I was fine - until the first time I went to a non-ATC field, when I nearly caused a mid-air with a C152 because I wasn't used to keeping my distance from traffic going so much slower than me in the circuit.

I also logged 5 hours of dual on an Aztec, and found exactly the same thing. All the multi-engine stuff was easy, but the fact that everything happened so much faster caused me a few problems.

I'd say Go for it - but be aware that it might take you a few hours of dual before you're comfortable enough to go out by yourself.

Have fun!

FFF
--------------------

distaff_beancounter
23rd May 2002, 15:51
I agree with what the previous posters have said. Gradually get used to faster & heavier aircraft. Also if you have not got much experience of handing an aircraft at MAW, this can take a bit of getting used to, if you intend taking 6 people straight away.

What I would strongly advise, is that unless you are going to buy your own 6 seater, find out from your local school or club, just what the hire restrictions are.

This usually revolves arround insurance, of course. Most schools require xx hours PIC in total, including yy hours on the type to be hired. In general, the more complex the aircraft, the higher the requirments of both xx & yy. Usually these hours have been agreed between the school & the fleet insurers. Basically if the school hires to a PPL with less than these hours & there is an accident, then the insurers don't have to pay out.

So, for say a Piper Saratoga (non turbo charged) a school might state that hirers need a minimum of 100 hours PIC, including 25 hours on type, so there would be no point on your paying out for the "difference training" that is now mandatory under JAR, if you are way off those hours. On the other hand, the school may be able to hire you a Piper Arrow, if you have say, 50 hours PIC including 5 hours on type.

Happy Flying :)