PDA

View Full Version : SOP enforcement

John Citizen
21st Jun 2014, 05:38
Is a captain supposed to strictly enforce SOP ?

Nothing used to annoy me more as an FO than strict domineering captains enforcing their own techniques (or their own interpretation of the SOPs) upon me, especially over small petty things perhaps open to interpretation and technique.

I always tried my best to follow SOP.

Now as Captain, I don't want to be such a captain myself however occasionally I get annoyed at some of the non-standard things the FO's do and I am wondering should I stand up and enforce SOP upon them ? I am not talking about serious breaches which have a serious impact on the safety and efficiency of the operation, but just little things which might be perhaps non-standard but I do find a little bit annoying. (eg. avoid heads down/checklists on the apron area, fly at flight plan cost index, headsets on during climb... etc.).

I probably come across as a hypocrite, but being a captain (with a lot of responsibility now) I try to run the show properly which is sometimes difficult if the other person does not do their job properly. I am well aware that if anything goes wrong, its always my fault.

I don't want to come across as a difficult and demanding captain however at the same time I would like the job done properly.

Piltdown Man
21st Jun 2014, 07:10
The answer depends on whether you think SOPs are a tool or a crutch. I believe they exist to allow any crew to operate safely as a team. But the human being is not a computer so variations from the norm should be expected and come to that, so should findings from observations in physical world. Religious adherence to SOPs is as pointless as having none at all. I try to stay standard and when I need to make a foray off-piste, I'll tell the other chap why. I generally find they'll do the same.

And it really matters is how you deal with "minor" issues. Going with the flow is generally the best answer because you are going to have to work with these guys for a few years yet. But if something really pisses you off, tell them that you feel that way - but don't mention SOPs. For example, if you really want the other guy to look out whilst taxing, say so. But remember, you must make time for them to catch up and tell them that you will do so. And remember, you are not enforcing SOPs, just merely asking for assistance.

Slightly changing tack, you also asked on another thread about the transmission of a time format. I thought that that question had been posed by newby F/O, trying to score a point. I'll tell you what I believe that answer should be - the fewer words the better, unless there is ambiguity! But I don't need a reference for that, common sense, applies (and who, apart from a pedant cares anyway?). But it appeared that you wanted a nail to hang the answer on and like with the SOPs above, you don't have to quote line and verse, just provide a reasonable justification.

Therefore, may I suggest that you calm down and go with the flow. You'll generally find that your colleagues around you will have all the knowledge, facts and figures and they will help you whenever you ask (and if you are lucky, when you don't but they think you need it). No, they won't all be standard and if safety is not compromised, chill! If it is, help things to get back to the straight and narrow as gently as possible. I've been in the left seat for 15years now and must have flown with several hundred F/Os. I have only had problems with three or four muppets. One is an SOP freak (and still in the LHS, where he will remain) and the others were being selfish and immature. Your figures should be similar, if not, it's you who has the problem.

Try to stick to SOPs but don't get too stressed if others are not perfect. Over time, you will find that they become more standard. Let it happen by itself and start to enjoy the view.

PM