PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Medical HELP!!

Johnson102
20th Jun 2014, 11:12
Hello.

Im applying for my class 2 medical exam, i'm wanting to become a commercial pilot for my job when i'm older. I had an eye test the other day and these where the results. My left is not as strong as my right eye.

SPH CYL AXIS

R: +1.00 -1.00 175.0
L: +3.00 -1.50 25.0

Will this affect me in the long run?

Thanks
Oliver

znww5
20th Jun 2014, 18:42
For Class 1, correction mustn't be outside the limits of +5 to -6 at initial examination and the difference between the eyes must not be more than 2 dioptres.

Suggest you cover one eye and search the CAA website for chapter and verse ;-)

Helicopterdriverguy
20th Jun 2014, 21:17
Its not the Class 2 you should be concerned about for Commercial, Class 1 is the key.

sharpend
20th Jun 2014, 21:22
I knew of a pilot who was almost blind in his left eye eye. When asked to cover his left eye, he did so with his right hand. When then asked to cover his right eye, he used his left hand, but covered the same left eye!

Frightened nose gear
22nd Jun 2014, 11:04
My doctor told me of a case whilst doing a class 2 medical he asked the "patient" to cover his left eye then asked him to cover his right eye and the guy covered both eyes with both hands!!

Mark 1
22nd Jun 2014, 16:51
In cases like yours where you are close to the official limit it is a good idea to email the medical group at the CAA with your prescription details and ask for their opinion re a first class.
The astigmatism correction is considered AIUI when assessing total refractive error and a large difference can indicate amblyopia (lazy eye).

You could ask for just a class 1 ophthalmic assessment at the Belgrano, and if that is OK continue with the rest later, at about the same overall cost.

foxmoth
22nd Jun 2014, 17:10
Better forum for this might be the "Medical and Health" one!:hmm: