PDA

View Full Version : Plane makes precautionary landing.

7of9
19th Jun 2014, 16:40
BBC News - Plane makes 'precautionary' landing in farmer's field (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-27927759)

TOWTEAMBASE
19th Jun 2014, 16:48
Oh my god, how many more are we going to have. It's been a bad couple of weeks for recreational aviation

YODI
19th Jun 2014, 17:00
Seems like these things are happening one after the after, 3 I can think of lets hope that's all for now.

However, I do have to ask is it that easy to get caught in weather that bad you can't 'safely' make it back to an Airfield or choose a better landing site where you could land it safely?

foxmoth
19th Jun 2014, 17:24
I do have to ask is it that easy to get caught in weather that bad you can't 'safely' make it back to an Airfield

May not be easy, but it happens.

This really should not be making the news though, a bit like "car pulls over on hard shoulder"💤

sapperkenno
19th Jun 2014, 17:29
All the more reason to have an IR(R) it seems!

TOWTEAMBASE
19th Jun 2014, 18:28
I'm not a pilot so forgive me for asking a daft question, but is a light aircraft nose down in a field ( as opposed to a runway) really comparable to a car on the hard shoulder. One of them you see every day , the other one thankfully not !! Maybe it's more common than I thought

Radix
19th Jun 2014, 19:24

mad_jock
19th Jun 2014, 19:34
Gliders though do it all the time but they seem to have a knack of getting away without it being newsworthy

AlastairMutch
19th Jun 2014, 19:42
... mostly

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Glider pilots spring Royal surprise (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2234831.stm)

:)

mad_jock
19th Jun 2014, 19:50
that wasn't the first time it happened and wasn't the last either.

worrab
19th Jun 2014, 19:51
I suspect that some crops make a precautionary landing likely to have an expensive outcome at this time of year.

worldpilot
19th Jun 2014, 19:53
It is a misrepresentation comparing Aircraft accident to a car on a hard shoulder.:=

The individuals involved in this accident are happy to have walked away. That's Good News. However, the number of accidents within a short time frame as evident in the last couple of days cast certain doubt on the security of GA operations.

At my home airport yesterday, two GA related accidents occured in which two microlight aircrafts were totaled.:eek:

WP

mary meagher
19th Jun 2014, 20:13
hey guys, don't get bent out of shape on this one!

Two things contribute to an increase in prangs this time of year

1. The weather is nice, (mostly)

2. A lot of pilots are rusty.

Gliders land in fields as a normal thing to do; but just now crops are tall and it is much harder to find a nice surface than in say September, after the harvest. We do a lot of training before attempting field landings, covering conditons, (size, slope, surface!!!!)

Land lightly on the top of the crop at slowest possible touchdown speed. If the crop is very high, you may catch a wing on a plant causing a ground loop; this seldom causes damage but is an interesting thing to experience.

But if you get it right, after touchdown, the world turns green, you climb out and get out the phone and call your friends....then find the farmer and apologise. Then try to find the glider again; if the crop is very high, only the horizontal T-tail will be visible! All good fun, adventure, and something to talk about in the bar when you get back.

Any landing that you walk away from.......!

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jun 2014, 20:17
It was a precautionary landing due to bad weather. The pilots walked away from it unharmed.

They seem to have picked a rather sub-optimal field and broken the nosegear and probably the prop and thus shock-loaded the engine. That's rather unfortunate.

However, this is not a tragedy, it's a pilot sensibly doing what he was trained to do, but getting unlucky at the end. If he'd pushed on in deteriorating weather and flown into a tree, then it would be a tragedy.

I don't think from the photo on the BBC website that he picked a good field, but equally I doubt he had many to choose from and was making a choice in a hurry. I'd certainly not be overly concerned about putting a C152 in a field - in some conditions it's a perfectly sensible thing to do, and this was quite probably such conditions.

Power to his elbow, and call it what it is - a good decision, that ended badly due to probably poor luck. He walked away from it, and in all likelihood the aeroplane will be flying again in a couple of months.

G

sapperkenno
19th Jun 2014, 20:31
Would be interesting to know exactly where this happened (as I fly over East Yorks a fair bit) and what the weather was doing at the time. I can't think of anywhere East of the wolds, and south of an E-W line south of Bridlington, right down until you get to the Humber where you would be more than 5-10 mins flying time in a C150 from either an active airfield or farm strip, or disused airfield where you could put down - although I do appreciate not everyone has local knowledge (this aircraft is Prestwick based?!)
It's also the first time I personally have ever heard of an actual precautionary landing taking place, off airport.
Lastly, well done for being able to walk away, whoever they were!

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jun 2014, 21:13
It's also the first time I personally have ever heard of an actual precautionary landing taking place, off !

You've lived a sheltered life!

Whilst less usual in the group A world, you won't find many experienced microlight or glider pilots who haven't a few in their logbook.

G

piperboy84
19th Jun 2014, 21:53
It's also the first time I personally have ever heard of an actual precautionary landing taking place, off airport.

I've done about 8 of them in the last 4 years, mostly because of upon returning to my homefield the wind has swung and it exceeds my xwind comfort level, I just fly on and find a neighboring farm with a north/south grass field or a barley field with tram lines is a real bonus, land, tie it down and get it the next morning. Ironically most of the times I've had to do it the farmers field has been smoother than my home strip, a testament to the ploughing skills of local farmers.

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Jun 2014, 22:09
Yes, I was flying around in lowering cloud on Sunday thinking through my options if it didn't get better. (I had approach plates with me for airfields both ends of the trip and one in the middle.) I wouldn't have liked it very much without the IR(R).

Maoraigh1
19th Jun 2014, 22:36

IF you are current AND the aircraft instruments can be trusted. Otherwise the precautionary landing might be safer.
Looking down at this time of year, I wouldn't criticise the field choice - they may all have looked the same from above. The pilot kept in control, and seems to have landed successfully.

foxmoth
20th Jun 2014, 08:15
It is a misrepresentation comparing Aircraft accident to a car on a hard shoulder.

OK, pulling over onto the hard shoulder, skidding on oil and hitting the barrier - still would not make the news.

They might be happy to have walked away, but for a precautionary landing I would hope to be flying the aircraft out when the weather picks up (been there, got the Tshirt!), the fields might look much the same at height, but a low fly past first should show most problems, certainly what I teach and something we can do that the glider pilots do not have available!

worldpilot
20th Jun 2014, 08:20
If the cause (adverse weather) as depicted in the BBC report is correct, was this weather pattern not predicted in the MET report?

Could this incident have been avoided with a proper preflight planning:ugh:

WP

Above The Clouds
20th Jun 2014, 08:38
Worldpilot
Would this incident have been avoided with a proper preflight planning:ugh:

Assuming from your Pprune name you fly every where in the world, then you would of course know that TAF's, Actuals and Met Forecasts are always 100% accurate during the planning stage :rolleyes:

worldpilot
20th Jun 2014, 09:59
It is understandable that weather is a major challenging factor in aviation, but taking the advantage of available weather resources and in conjunction with profound abilities to interpret acquired information, the risks associated with a flight envelope could be substantially limited.

Could anyone provide information as to where the flight originated and the duration of the flight before this accident?

Just curious to find out how this incident is related to weather factors.

WP

PA28181
20th Jun 2014, 13:17
I have always assumed (obviously wrongly) that a "precautionary landing" was a change of plans due to WX or other reasons that meant landing at a different airfield other than a flight planned alternate. It seems to work OK for heli's, but to land in a field not suitable and also wrecking the aircraft in the process albeit no injuries seems not quite right. If he was surrounded by CB's and a rapidly lowering base, and it was a case of land/crash now or lose control well maybe.

foxmoth
20th Jun 2014, 14:07
I have always assumed (obviously wrongly) that a "precautionary landing" was a change of plans due to WX or other reasons that meant landing at a different airfield other than a flight planned alternate

Most would just call that a weather diversion! Precautionary landing is landing in an unknown/unprepared field due to weather or other reason, but still with a working engine (though one that is not working very well might also be a reason to do one). Assuming there is not a DESPERATE rush to get on the ground, the best way to do this is to make a practise approach, then overfly the landing area at low level to check the surface and any obstructions, followed by a low level circuit to land - but of course you did that in your PPL training didn't you!?:}

PA28181
20th Jun 2014, 14:26
but of course you did that in your PPL training didn't you!? Now that WAS a long time ago.

I agree with what you said, with a small but. The operative word is "Landing" this was a "Crash Landing" As I said before, if the alternate is getting completly out of control in sh*te WX with a high chance of Death/injury then yes land in a ploughed field against the furrows if neccessary and take your chances or keep busting Rule 5 until you find somewhere fit to land.

worldpilot
20th Jun 2014, 15:06
@Foxmoth

Precautionary landing is landing in an unknown/unprepared fieldWow, why unknown or unprepared?:{

Doesn't really make sense to me.:=

Be advised of the unpredictiveness of emergency instances. Precautionary landing is landing at a site other than the intended landing site due to anticipation of unsustainable control of flight envelope.
Eventually, the landing can be at another airport or airfiled with suitable landing strip (grass or asphalt). It can actually be on land or water.

I remember the circumstances with a pilot who was enroute to Hawaii and had to perform precautionary landing in the ocean due to fuel starvation. The landing was successful (he survived it without injuries) and was picked up by coastal guards that was notified upfront. The aircraft sanked thereafter.

WP

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jun 2014, 15:11
Would you still call it a crash landing if it had been on a runway, the nosegear went down a rabbit hole and the same outcome occurred?

I gather on the grapevine that the aircraft was from Prestwick Flight Centre, so it's travelled a bit of a distance, but not necessarily in one hop.

I'm not sure how many precautionary landings I've made - certainly a few: all in microlights, but the short field capability of the high wing Cessnas is reasonable and I'd not be troubled to attempt it. So far the worst damage I've suffered was an aeroplane covered in cowsh1te as the farmer had been muckspreading, and a dropped bolt which cost me £20 as I de-rigged to get the aircraft back to the airfield by road (most times I've flown out). Those who think that this is a really big deal, really have lived sheltered lives !

Not to say that runways aren't the preferred option - of course they are, but a well executed field or beach landing in an aeroplane with reasonable STOL performance really should be a non-event. Pilots not mentally prepared for that, really do need to stick to sunny days with high cloudbases.

G

PA28181
20th Jun 2014, 15:27
Would you still call it a crash landing

Just my wrong choice of word arrangement. The landing ended up as a "crash" I dont know how to categorise a landing that ends up wrecking what was a perfectly serviceable aircraft until it's arrival on terra-firma irrespective of the landing ground. Unless I call it a crash.

worldpilot
20th Jun 2014, 15:30
but of course you did that in your PPL training didn't you!?The emergency procedures practiced during PPL training are perform under what I refer to as "sustainable flight control circumstances".

Try to practice engine failure situation over the Alps during night flight circumstances (with limited visibility) and you will learn a serious lesson.

In real life threatening situations, only profound familiarity with cockpit resources and appropriate experience manipulating these resources to maintain sustainable flight envelope control will lead to a more positive outcome.

WP

worldpilot
20th Jun 2014, 15:40
@PA28181

I won't designate it as crash landing though.

The landing resulted to aircraft damage, but the outcome was positive in that cockpit remained intact and the individuals escaped without serious injuries.

WP

PA28181
20th Jun 2014, 15:51
Just my wrong choice of word arrangement. The landing ended up as a "crash" I dont know how to categorise a landing that ends up wrecking what was a perfectly serviceable aircraft until it's arrival on terra-firma irrespective of the landing ground. Unless I call it a crash.

I thought I had said that?

A couple of weeks ago a 172 was landing at Fairoaks and ended upside writing the aircraft off, the two occupants walked away. What was that?

Mach Jump
20th Jun 2014, 16:39
Precautionary landing is landing in an unknown/unprepared field due to weather or other reason, but still with a working engine (though one that is not working very well might also be a reason to do one). Assuming there is not a DESPERATE rush to get on the ground, the best way to do this is to make a practise approach, then overfly the landing area at low level to check the surface and any obstructions, followed by a low level circuit to land - but of course you did that in your PPL training didn't you!?

Foxmoth is correct.

Any unplanned landing at an airfield would be called a 'diversion'.

An aircraft can 'crash' during any landing.

MJ:ok:

sapperkenno
20th Jun 2014, 17:12
Although it may be the "norm" to stick plastic microlights into fields, when they can land at walking pace and don't have a lot of momentum/weight, I don't think the same can be said of proper aeroplanes! ;-) :-p

Mach Jump
20th Jun 2014, 17:18
Oooo a bit harsh SK! :ooh: but I know what you mean. ;)

MJ:ok:

foxmoth
20th Jun 2014, 18:44
Maybe not the norm, but it should also not be seen as an emergency situation, more an annoyance!

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jun 2014, 19:18
Although it may be the "norm" to stick plastic microlights into fields, when they can land at walking pace and don't have a lot of momentum/weight, I don't think the same can be said of proper aeroplanes! ;-) :-p

That may be so, but this was a Cessna 152 - a lower performance aeroplane than most modern microlughts.

G

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Jun 2014, 20:43
If he was surrounded by CB's and a rapidly lowering base, and it was a case of land/crash now or lose control well maybe.
I once encountered a line of CBs which grew up competely unforecast in an otherwise clear sky and pushed me towards the sea.

I carried out a precautionary landing ... but fortunately the runway at Norwich turned out to be in a convenient location.

abgd
21st Jun 2014, 02:19
So, somebody found themselves flying over some thick crops and decided to land in them. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense would see that at best it would be highly inconvenient and also had a good chance of pranging the aircraft, albeit in a way they'd probably survive. They decided that landing was still the best course of action and had the guts to do so.

Good for them.

flyme273
21st Jun 2014, 10:33
Photograph shows rather ominous looking power lines in the background.

Landing appears to be in long grass or crops. At this time of year crops are likely to be well grown ready for harvesting within the next month or so.

Most unfortunate that a more suitable field (or preferably an airfield) could not be found. Garmin button NRST.

flyme.

Jan Olieslagers
21st Jun 2014, 10:43
this was a Cessna 152 - a lower performance aeroplane than most modern microlughts

Yes, G., but the point was its inertia - given the C152's greater mass, and comparable stall speed (or so I suppose) its momentum must have been greater. Ditto for the potential impact damage.