PDA

View Full Version : B777 flare technique

hamil
11th Jun 2014, 12:05
Hi guys,

Not a single hour as a pilot on that fantastic bird, but have noticed during my positioning flights superb smooth landings, better than those ones made on the 744.

I'm really curious, is there any 'secret receipt' for it? :}

Any difference between the -200 and -300 series?

Thanks.

Chocks Away
11th Jun 2014, 12:32
Very small changes of attitude are the secret hamil, from a well set up stable approach at 1000ft.
It's only a small "check" (slight pull back on control column) of 1 to 2 degrees pitch change on the 777 to alleviate rate of descent, as thrust is pulled off (conditions depending, off course).
It's very much a "drive it in" approach with the 777-200 & 300's with the 300 more critical on pitch changes especially on a last minute go'around where tail-strike is a real issue (They both have tail-skid protections).
B737NG's & B747 much the same on attitude changes at flare.
Happy landings:ok:

Saltie
11th Jun 2014, 12:58
'The voice' helps. Just a mini check at. '20' and, all things being equal , it oozes on.

FullWings
11th Jun 2014, 13:22
Big wing, more than needed at usual landing weights in the -200, giving significant ground effect, especially if you’re a few knots over approaching the flare.

My experience has been that the best landings (comfort wise) are when you touch down with a small RoD, 100-200fpm, taking up the slack in the oleos before the speed brakes deploy and do it forcefully.

It is very easy to over-flare the 777, like others have said it is just a small check and hold, unless you’re going down fast at slow speed. Too pronounced a rotation gives a short fly-by followed by a bit of a thump as by then the speed has decayed.

The -300 with much higher landing weights on a wing that is not that much larger than the -200 means significantly higher speeds, so a higher RoD into the flare. The longer fuselage plays a part but I don’t really change my technique for the -300 as it’s too subtle for a coarse pilot like me...

flyboyike
11th Jun 2014, 14:18
There are three simple rules to grease any airplane on every time. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Wile E. Coyote
11th Jun 2014, 14:41
There are three simple rules to grease any airplane on every time. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Time to reveal the rules....

1) Rudder on top. Wheels on bottom.
2) Undercarriage extended.
3) Speed < Vne

Yaw String
17th Jun 2014, 06:19
Now can someone describe the technique for the 787, because that wing sure ain't the same as the 777!...:confused:

anotheruser
19th Jun 2014, 04:54
There has been a lot of discussion about the flare mode in Airbus FBW control laws. I'm wondering, does the B777 also have a flare mode in its FBW, and if so, how does it work?