PDA

View Full Version : The best headset for someone wearing glasses

Liam_Mulholalnd
9th Jun 2014, 12:52
Just wondered if anyone has found a really good headset for people wearing glasses while flying, passive or ANR?

I've seen those inserts you can buy from DC but the frames of my glasses are rather thick and essentially they wont fit the inserts. People I've spoken to have suggested headsets with gel ear-cups rather than foam ones (which makes sense as I can see gel creating a tighter/better seal).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

OhNoCB
9th Jun 2014, 13:03
I find that with a Bose A20 there is only a very slight difference in performance when wearing my sunglasses. Not enough to concern me and I forget about it after about 30 seconds.

Instead of buying a new headset, how about new glasses or maybe even just wear them above the cup?

Liam_Mulholalnd
9th Jun 2014, 13:40
I've considered new glasses with thinner arms and even contact lenses but I've never had contact lenses and find touching/putting things in my eye a little gross :uhoh:

Armchairflyer
9th Jun 2014, 13:40
DC H20-10 with gel cups(!) here and very satisfied. Indeed, all headsets with foam cups gave me a headache quite quickly (DC, too).

jxc
9th Jun 2014, 13:43
Clarity aloft have used mine for 5 years with sunglasses.

VP-F__
9th Jun 2014, 13:53
I keep a pair of sunglasses just for flying that I have bent the ends of the arms up by about 30 degrees. They sit just in the tops of my ear cups without extra pressure on my head or reduction in headset efficiency. Also keeps the lenses in the right place on my nose :)

IFMU
9th Jun 2014, 13:55
I really like my passive Peltors. They are light and have a small clamping force, plus soft ear seals.
Bryan

tecman
9th Jun 2014, 15:13
Liam, I find the Sennheiser S1 headset very comfortable. I have the active version (digital ANR) but the passive version is the same basic headset. The S1 earcup is contoured for the side-arm of glasses frames, making for a comfortable fit. The passive seal is very good - I occasionally forget to turn on the ANR. There's also a useful feed-forward system which optimizes the ANR when you touch a button on one earpiece, giving you a few dB extra noise reduction.

I flew for many years with a DC headset which I'd customized to be as comfortable as possible with glasses, and to minimize the irritation by the top of the headband. The S1 has proved much more comfortable. These things are very much a matter of individual choice so see if you can try a few different headsets before making a final choice.

Mark 1
9th Jun 2014, 15:55
Somebody mentioned Clarity Aloft. I use the QT Halo which is similar.

Noise suppression is better than most ANR especially in a very noisy cockpit, they are very light, good audio quality, stay in during aerobatics and have nothing to interfere with glasses or oxygen canulas.

It takes a few seconds longer to put them on, but the advantages more than make up for it.

ChickenHouse
9th Jun 2014, 19:12
I had trouble finding a headset to fit with my glasses and finally took my Bose A20 to the optometrist - got new glasses now with special carriers and am very happy now. Many times this might be the better way around.

Unusual Attitude
10th Jun 2014, 07:54
Just flown to Spain and back with Halo's mounted into my helmet and agree they work fantastically. Noise attenuation of ANR without the hassel of batteries or recharging and they weigh almost nothing. No cups to worry about with sunglasses either.

Regards

UA

Liam_Mulholalnd
10th Jun 2014, 07:55
Thanks for all the advice guys, the QT Halo and Clarity Aloft look really interesting and not something I was aware of before.

IFMU
10th Jun 2014, 14:21
The Sonex guys seem to like Clarity Aloft and Halo. Has the additional advantage of more headroom side to side in a tight cockpit.

mfalcon
10th Jun 2014, 14:32
Another vote from me for the Clarity Aloft - I wear them for aeros in the Bulldog, but also find them a great space saver in the tight confines on a taylor monoplane. Very light to wear too.