PDA

View Full Version : Flight Sim

mark87now
8th Jun 2014, 16:02
Hi. I am trying to learn more about flight simulators and operation. Would like to know about differences between level D flight sim e.g. difference between Mechtronix Level D sim and CAE Level D sim other than the price difference. Also, would like to know how many ground/flight instructors can be attached to 1 level D simulator and the number of technicians to run the flight simulator.

Thanks in advance.

AirRabbit
12th Jun 2014, 20:34
Hi. I am trying to learn more about flight simulators and operation. Would like to know about differences between level D flight sim e.g. difference between Mechtronix Level D sim and CAE Level D sim other than the price difference. Also, would like to know how many ground/flight instructors can be attached to 1 level D simulator and the number of technicians to run the flight simulator.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark: that’s a pretty big subject, and likely not much chance you’re going to get a quick answer that addresses the concerns that are involved in any subject as complex as simulation.

I would suggest that you “google” 14CFR Part 60, (that’s the US rule that addresses the requirements for four (4) separate Flight Simulation Training Devices (Airplane Full Flight Simulators; Airplane Flight Training Devices; Helicopter Full Flight Simulators; and Helicopter Flight Training Devices) and outlines the regulatory requirements for evaluation and qualification for each one at one of the levels authorized under each heading. That document is not easy reading but it is full of very valuable information. If you tire of that or would rather have a 2nd choice of documents, I’d recommend obtaining a copy of the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) Document Number 9625. This is a newly updated document and describes what many in the industry would hope becomes the standard for each individual country’s regulatory authority. The number of devices is different from US part 60, and describes a range of 7 different “levels” of devices. Once you start reading either document, I think you’ll find answers to a lot of your questions, but I would think it will generate 5 or 10 for every one it answers … it’s just the nature of the beast.

Using the US rule (Part 60), if you find that a given simulator is, in fact, a Level D simulator, any other simulator with that same qualification level should be able to be used in a manner that is virtually identical to the other. However, the same can be said for automobiles. A car is a car – but there are differences between a Ford and a Ferrari; between a Lincoln and a Lamborghini, - and there is a substantial difference in price – but depending on what you desire out of your car you have to decide if your particular desires are impacted by the cost for you to be able to fulfill that particular desire. With simulators, there is not likely going to be a lot of noticeable differences between manufacturers – however, with the two manufacturers you mention you will probably see at least some different internal aspects that you might want to consider as being important or worth that difference. It’s been a long time since I’ve done cost vs value comparisons, but as you would probably understand the “cost” is usually (but not always) due to the actual content of whatever it is you are purchasing.

As for the number of flight or ground instructors that may be authorized to use a specific simulator … there are no restrictions … however, as you would no doubt recognize, having two instructors (ground or flight) using the same simulator at the same time could easily compromise the efforts of both. Today, most simulators in use by training organizations and/or airlines are used for a good portion of every day – usually on the order of 16 -20 hours each day … leaving enough time for the maintenance staff to repair, correct, clean, re-align, or whatever else may occur during normal operations. The simulator is normally “booked” for a typical simulator period – which is usually, but not mandated, to be 4 hours in duration. The numbers of mechanics or technicians will vary depending on how many simulators are on the same property – and it is more usual than not to have some persons who are more expert or experienced in one or two (usually not more than “a few”) specific simulation systems rather than have a staff of persons, each of whom are “jacks-of-all-trades.” That is typically due to the fact that modern simulators have A LOT of systems that all have to work together to provide the kind of use for which it was originally purchased. Some systems are extremely complex and almost demand, and certainly benefit by, having specifically trained and qualified technicians perform routine preventative or reparative maintenance, and/or modification of the simulator. But systems that are essentially common between simulators – motion systems for example – may be treated a lot more similarly from simulator to simulator. I think it would not be out of the question to recognize that each simulator facility has its own preferred methods and processes to ensure the continued operation of any training tool as sophisticated as a flight simulator.

I hope this answers some of your questions – and please feel free to ask others and I’ll attempt to answer them when I can.

Cheers.