PDA

View Full Version : Work Shop suggestions please

GW PA28 121
4th Jun 2014, 08:42
Hi All

I am new to this so apologies if I have put this in the wrong forum.

Just after some recommendations for UK Work Shops. I have a time-ex O-320-D3G so in need of an overhaul.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

A and C
4th Jun 2014, 09:45
Nicolson McClarren or Eisenburgh. ( spelling ?)

Both are reputable company's who will back their products and do a very good job, personally I have used products from both but usually NM ........... If I was on the other side of London it might well be the other way around.

stevelup
4th Jun 2014, 12:36
NM did a super job for us. On time, on budget and the finished engine hasn't used a drop of oil, nor shed any metal.

Bliss1
6th Jun 2014, 09:57
Hi, I have heard about both those companies but I was recommended Norvic, really good quality and fantastic service. Well worth trying

stevef
6th Jun 2014, 16:06
From personal experience of their Lycoming IO540s and component overhauls, I'd recommend Ronaldsons of Oxford. We never had cause for complaint.
Nothing's too much trouble for the cheerful Rachel on the front line.

JW411
6th Jun 2014, 16:28
I have a very high regard for Eisenburg at Southend very straightforward and he does a great job.

A and C
6th Jun 2014, 17:05
I would think very hard before using Ronaldson, I asked for Lycoming cylinders to be fitted to my engine, when the ECI cylinder AD appeared we checked the cylinders to find he had fitted ECI cylinders not the Lycoming ones as asked unfortunately he had bust the company that did the work on my engine and set up another in the same workshop.

This has cost me the 20% extension on the engine because the ECI cylinders have a 2000 hour hard life.

At least I did not get stung by him as much as a local flying club who had a number of engines rebuilt by him with the same cylinder issues.

Subsequent to this the company has been taken over by Gamma who are a reputable company and would not knowingly rip any one off but as long as the Ronaldson name is above the door I won't touch the place.

I'm sure Smarthawk would have some interesting comments on this issue.

Johnm
6th Jun 2014, 19:11
If the engine is still running fine, why not keep it going on condition?

A and C
6th Jun 2014, 22:33
First..... the ECI cylinder AD is a hard life....... No extension is permitted.

Second......running on condition requires the engine to have a history of reliability IE record of good compressions and low oil consumption, fitting new cylinders would invalidate this history of reliability ........ No history, no extension permitted !

smarthawke
6th Jun 2014, 22:35
Don't mention ECi cylinders....

A lot of good experience of Nicholson-McLaren over the years and no problems whatsoever - this is with probably a couple of dozen engines.

That can't be said of other overhaulers. Searching previous threads here and elsewhere will always come up with the same answers.

Johnm
7th Jun 2014, 06:14
Well if you must overhaul I used NM and was content.

A and C
7th Jun 2014, 09:17
That seems to send us right back to post #2

smarthawke
7th Jun 2014, 10:20
Regarding the subject of going into extension in accordance with CAA CAP747 GR No 24, I interpret:

"The engine being inspected in accordance with paragraph 4 in order to assess its
condition immediately prior to the increase, and subsequently at 100 hour or yearly
intervals, whichever occurs first."

- as meaning at TBO the engine is inspected and then monitored at 100 hr/12 month intervals for condition, oil leaks, oil consumption and cylinder compression.

I do not believe any previous oil consumption figures are demanded prior to TBO although obviously the more info the better.

A and C
7th Jun 2014, 14:19
You are indeed correct but it is getting an accurate picture to see how the engine is performing and that is difficult over a short period, for instance if you have a pilot who insists on topping an O-360 up to 8 USQ at each flight you are likely to be looking at an oil consumption of 0.75 USQ/HR. This on an engine that if kept topped up between 6-7 USQ is likely to return a consumption of 0.1 USQ / HR.

Unlike aircraft operated by airlines we don't have the same control over the operators and so one pilot who disregards the oil top up policy of a flying club can disproportionately affect the consumption numbers over a short period of time, the result of this is the engineering staff making judgments based on unsound data.

stickandrudderman
7th Jun 2014, 23:15
I used NM and have been very happy.

Fostex
8th Jun 2014, 10:44
NM are excellent, fantastic service.

GW PA28 121
10th Jun 2014, 13:09
Hi All

Thank you for your feedback it really is appreciated.

I had already obtained prices from NM and Isenburg (the latter I was not overly impressed with) and subsequent to the Bliss1 comment I have spoken to Norvic. I have to say I am genuinely impressed with their attitude towards a customer and the quotation is pretty reasonable to boot.

Need to sit down with the other guys involved and work out what way we will be going.

Great site by the way… Really like the amusing anecdotes posted

smarthawke
11th Jun 2014, 21:49
I would suggest you visit the premises of your chosen short list - it's good to know how people work, in my opinion (and I find the motor racing side of Nicholson McLaren Aviation fascinating!).