PDA

View Full Version : Aus pilot flying in UK

theflyingskotsman
3rd Jun 2014, 04:35
Hi all.
Recently been planning a trip to the UK in sunny July (away from a bleak winter in AUS) and will be in Cambridge for a couple of days. Quite curious about any aero club in the area, which ones would take someone up who wasn't about to start a course, just for another hour or two to add to the logbook and a bit of fun. Any local sights to see from the air and something fun to see them in, even better.
Local knowledge and wisdom much appreciated.

Cheers

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
3rd Jun 2014, 10:52
You could try this lot (http://www.cambridgeflyinggroup.co.uk/index.html) to experience the best of English Summer (i.e. cold & wet) from a suitable aeroplane (open cockpit). A quick e-mail might get something sorted out.

If you have surface transport and would like something a bit cheaper, these folks (http://cambridgeshiremicrolights.co.uk/) might be able to help.

Have fun with your Pommie Flying.
WKW

thing
7th Jun 2014, 10:53
Recently been planning a trip to the UK in sunny July (away from a bleak winter in AUS)

Reminds me of the Spike Milligan quote 'Here I am freezing in the 25C Aussie winter and there you are basking in the 20C English summer. How I wish I was home.'

Sultan Ismail
7th Jun 2014, 13:05
I suggest you contact Mid Anglia School of Flying (better known as MASF) and get a ride from them. They operate PA-28 of various sizes.

MASF are based at Cambridge Airport (better known as Marshalls) and have some knowledgeable pilots who can tell you the best places to eat in Melbourne :ok:

At this time of remembrance for D-Day you should try a short flight from Cambridge to Duxford routing via Waterbeach, Oakington, Bourne, Bassingbourn and Fowlmere. Less than 30 minutes flying to see the famous airfields of WWII.

It takes about 10 minutes for the direct return flight.

Old Photo.Fanatic
7th Jun 2014, 14:35
Please see the PM I have just sent you.
OPF

theflyingskotsman
8th Jun 2014, 03:38
Thanks all for the great advice!

Thanks to Whiskey Kilo Wander for the Cambridge Flying Group link, have organised a chug a lug in one if their Tiger Moths. Fingers crossed for a sunny day!
Think a Tiger Moth over England with the little trip mentioned by Sultan Ismail, might be a flight to remember. :ok:

Glasgow_Flyer
7th Jan 2015, 09:03
Did your trip work out mate?

I did my PPL in the UK , but have since changed over to a CASA license and haven't yet worked out how I can fly when I next visit home!

Sam Rutherford
10th Jan 2015, 09:24
Just fly inverted, and it'll all make sense...

tecman
10th Jan 2015, 11:28
The sun is in the wrong place of course but a bit of attention at the beginning will soon have you programmed for the N. Hemisphere. It's always alright when you think about it, but when you drop your guard the old instincts can catch up with you. But it soon passes.