PDA

View Full Version : Line Training requirement.

AUTOPILOT19
1st Jun 2014, 20:18
Hi Everyone,

Is there any requirement on when, in relation to time, a freshly type rated pilot must start line training after completing TR (including touch and goes)?

I know that there is 21 days rule for Zero Flight Time pilots however what about the others?

Thanks a lot for your time :)

flyboyike
1st Jun 2014, 20:46
You'd have to tell us what rules you're operating under and in what type of operation. Otherwise, your question is too general.

AUTOPILOT19
1st Jun 2014, 21:42
Sorry...

It's a passenger transport in Multi Crew under IFR in Europe.

Thanks a lot.

mad_jock
1st Jun 2014, 22:35
Depends on your ops manual.

Its more to do with currency than anything else.

Some have 28 days and others the full 90. And some nothing at all.

So it depends on the local NAA what they want.

Most western airlines have a 28 day currency of 3 TO and landings. Which can be done minus pax with a LTC or above or in the sim.

I know people that haven't been near an aircraft never mind the type for 5 months then start training. By all accounts it wasn't pleasant.

FlyingStone
2nd Jun 2014, 10:10
There is no legal limit for maximum length of line training, as long as you remain current (as said by mad_jock) - 3 takeoffs and landings in last 90 days as PF (can be also done in the sim contrary to common myths). You can even extend this up to 120 days, but then you have to do the first three takeoffs and landings with a TRI/E (during normal line ops).

AUTOPILOT19
2nd Jun 2014, 11:24
Tanks lot for your answers,

Company's OM says 14 days from sim checkride to first line training flight...tough luck :ugh:

mad_jock
2nd Jun 2014, 22:19
Sounds rather sensible to be honest as long as you can get the type ratings issued in time

AUTOPILOT19
3rd Jun 2014, 18:10
Well, I got my TR issued one day after completing touch and goes and now I have to wait over a month to start line training which is bizarre to me.

+TSRA
3rd Jun 2014, 18:21
Doesn't sound bizarre to me...training and crew sched often have different schedules when it comes to the gap between type rating and line training...especially if your airline uses a bid system for scheduling. If it's not a bid system, then you'll be stupid busy until your line indoc and any crew pairing restrictions are complete, then you'll go back to normal line flying.

mad_jock
3rd Jun 2014, 19:45
Not bizarre in the slightest.

You want people that are ready to go waiting for a line training to become available.

The point which the previous pilot gets signed off is subject to them being at the correct standard and over min hours/sector as per the ops manual.

So it is perfectly normal to have people slip 2-6 weeks due to LTC availability.

flyboyike
3rd Jun 2014, 20:49
I waited just over three weeks between my 320 type ride and start of IOE. Not unusual at all.

AUTOPILOT19
3rd Jun 2014, 21:51
It's a valid point you got there +TSRA and mad_jock. Thanks for that :D