PDA

View Full Version : B777 LAX Basing

myekppa
1st Jun 2014, 07:39
Air China - B777 Captains with WASINC International | 1401394279 (http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401394279/air-china-b777-captains/)

Worthy of a look, no doubt other agencies have it on their books.

kingpost
1st Jun 2014, 08:11
The agencies are still smoking some good shyte!

They need to catch a wake up and pay a lot better than that, $12500 basic, are you out of you freaking mind!!

thehonourablefong
1st Jun 2014, 08:17
What are comparable airlines in LAX paying 777 crew post-tax?

The Chinese airlines seem to be concentrating on short haul guys, the long haul contracts don't seem to be particularly fantastic - DXB basing with what pay they were offering looked only to be of interest to home-owners who wanted part time. Then again maybe that's who they want...

gl69
1st Jun 2014, 09:49
That contract is supposedly tax free because China pays 40% tax already.
If you are going to compare what Delta, UAL and AA pays their 777 captains based in LAX don't waste your time. You will be sorely lacking working for the Chinese.
Also keep in mind of you have to have the "right to work" in the US with this contract.

myekppa
1st Jun 2014, 13:58
FFS guys. Just tryin to help anyone that 'could' be interested that 'does' qualify. It's ok with me if your current gig is that good, you feel comfortable scoffing at what's out there.

Yes, it would be pointless comparing an Asian contract against US major salaries on the B777 because if you're already in the desert, you're probably never going to reach the numbers required to hold LAX with DL/UA, assuming they're still around that is.

For the record, I don't qualify and I'm not interested.

thehonourablefong
1st Jun 2014, 14:24
I was asking an actual question based on the post above mine...I genuinely have no idea of what pay over there would be and was interested to know the comparison!

This is pprune, what ratio of rant-to-information were you after?!

pilotrob23
1st Jun 2014, 14:28
Go to airlinepilotcentral.com if you are interested in pay and the likes. Everything from Majors, Regionals, Cargo, etc.

gl69
1st Jun 2014, 14:58
Do you really think DL, UAL or AA are not going to be around my EK?
A Delta captain makes about $19,000 a month and works about 10 days a month. Significantly more than Air China is going to offer.

fatbus
1st Jun 2014, 15:26
What tax will the DL guy pay? China is basically tax free.

spanishfly69
1st Jun 2014, 15:27
gl69, why do you need the "right to work" for this contract? You are not employee by an US company. I know several Korean pilots (not US citizen or green card holders) that live in the old good USA. If is legal or not, that is another matter.

Saltaire
1st Jun 2014, 17:36
Ya, be careful with that one…

If not a US citizen and spending more than 180 days in the US. If they find out… big trouble.

Stories of guys getting caught and kicked out of the country. And then what?

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Jun 2014, 18:20
A Delta captain makes about $19,000 a month and works about 10 days a month

Is that not part time...... :):\

myekppa
1st Jun 2014, 18:57
My gripe's not with you mr fong.

I don't want to single gl69 out as his comments are generic, but answer them I will. American majors have disappeared, never to be seen again. Will it happen to DL/UA/AA? Who knows but it's a brave man that can claim never.

I agree with you gl69, 19k for ten days work should be the bench mark for our industry. But when their B777 fleet only comprises 18 aircraft or 2% of the total airline and then factor in seniority, well you get my point (then again, maybe you don't). Anyone that has an opportunity to create a viable career (i.e. a decent period on that scale) should be on the DL seniority list or busting their balls to get on it. I'm guessing you've done or achieved neither.

So where is the logic in writing a contract off as 'mental', if your benchmark is so unattainable? Yes, DL have a zillion other aircraft but let's talk B777's in LAX.

The Air China deal may just appeal to someone in the desert who is qualified, wants to head home and now they can make a choice of read the link, ponder their realistic career prospects with Delta or perhaps just do nothing.

Dropp the Pilot
2nd Jun 2014, 03:38
Delta captain only makes $19,000 (less tax - 35%?) for ten days work? That's only $1235 a day.

In April at EK (thus no profit share included) I got $26,644 for 15 days work which is $1776 a day.

Thank goodness my career path took me somewhere other than a grotty and underpaid USA-major job.

whossorrynow
2nd Jun 2014, 04:10
In April at EK (thus no profit share included) I got $26,644 for 15 days work which is $1776 a day.

In April at EK I got $16,301 net for 20 days work which is $815 a day.

Same salary step (topped out) and fleet as the above poster.

myekppa
2nd Jun 2014, 05:55
Goes to prove, it's all smoke and mirrors here as well...

gl69
2nd Jun 2014, 05:57
Spanish since your are based in LAX you have to have the right to work in the US. The Korean gig is not based in the US, everyone is based in ICN.
Just because Air China is a foreign company you are still based in the US hence the right to work status. Toyota, Nissan and BMW all have bases in the US but the workers at those plants all have the right to work in the US.

I don't know how long the above posters have been at EK but I made $13,300 working 17 days a month which is around $780 a day. Piss poor for a Widebody pilot especially when working 92 hours a month. I didn't mention the housing allowance which is a plus or the education allowance which is a minus. The education costs me about the price of a house in the US so we will call it a wash.
The Emirates package needs to increase significantly to be competitive with other Widebody jobs and they have to lower the hours per month.