PDA

View Full Version : flying in Amsterdam

manuaros
31st May 2014, 21:20
Hello,

I'm a ppl who might move to Amsterdam and I would like to keep flying

I have found a place around 1:30h (public transport) from the city,Lelystad. But I would like to know if there's something else where I could rent a c172 or similar without needing a car!

Thanks!!

hoodie
31st May 2014, 21:53
Hilversum?

Vliegveld Hilversum (EHHV) (http://www.ehhv.nl/)

Pirke
1st Jun 2014, 02:38
Schiphol? Might be a bit expensive, but great public transport :)

Radix
1st Jun 2014, 03:03

manuaros
1st Jun 2014, 06:40
Thanks a lot guys!
Indeed, Hilversum looks really nice!
According to Google maps it is 1h by public transport from Amsterdam which is better than lelystad

Thanks again!!

BackPacker
2nd Jun 2014, 05:27
The Vliegclub Schiphol is located at Schiphol-Oost, and have a really nice DA40 for hire. You pay a hefty annual membership fee, but that includes 10 flying hours and if you factor that in, the rates are quite reasonable.

Landing fees and handling fees at Schiphol are eye-watering though.

If you are going to be based at Hilversum, make sure you get a thorough checkout on your short field landings and take-offs, keep a close eye on your W&B and landing/take-off performance charts, and make sure you fly the circuit as intended. There's not a lot of margin for error at Hilversum.

Lelystad is one of the busiest GA airfields of the Netherlands, with multiple operators (both commercial and not-for-profit clubs) on site. The airspace is relatively uncluttered, with a long runway.

manuaros
3rd Jun 2014, 08:24
Thanks for that info!
I am going to be based in Amsterdam really, so having somewhere near like the one you just suggested is awesome, because it is really really close :)
I have always wanted to fly a Katana so I reckon I will give it a try.

Hilversum and Lelystad are both quite away from Amsterdam but they both look like nice places and clubs to fly and do some hangar flying too and spend a Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Ellemeet
11th Jun 2014, 05:00
Rotterdam is a real field with instrument approaches and you get mingled with the 737s which they really nicely. Its about 35 minutes by car from amsterdam.

Hilversum is a true grassstrip field with 600m runways and a nice atmosphere. About 25 minutes from amsterdam.

Lelystad is the busiest ga field. Uncontrolled and on a nice day really very busy. So busy that I fiend it very dangerous. Its about 35 minutes as well. Landingfees are a bit more expensive than Rotterdam but at Rotterdam you pay atc charges €13. At Lelystad you do have some very cheap aircraft at rental stations and clubs

manuaros
11th Jun 2014, 06:05
Thanks Ellemeet!
I am indeed taking a look at both, Lelystad and Hilversum to find out which one fits better for me from a public transport point of view (I won't have a car there).
I will probably visit both and will check out the clubs etc. I love flying clubs and I want to join one once there!

Thanks a lot everyone!