PDA

View Full Version : What is the quickest possible 2-man (or higher) flight from New York City, USA to Cor

ska23
30th May 2014, 22:51
What are some of the quickest possible 2-man (or higher) flights from New York City, USA to Corsica, France?

Conditions:
— Must be done in less than 10 hours.
— Limited refueling is preferred, but not a prerequisite, so long as above condition is met.
— An asset of any division of the American military is preferred. (Preferably Marines and/or Air Force).
— Must have been in current service in 2008. (Writing a book; so it needs to be free of anachronistic errors.)
— I cannot stress enough the importance of being capable of carrying a pilot and additional passenger. I would also accept 2 passenger variants of single-passenger aircraft such as the F-16D

Thanks! Best answer may get a shout out on the special thanks page!

westhawk
1st Jun 2014, 04:14
Less than 10 hours maximum transit time from NYC to Corsica could easily be accomplished non-stop using a Gulfstream G-IV SP. (military designations C-20H, G, etc...) Several other 4,000 nm at mach .80 capable airplanes could do the same.

As for the fastest... well... Presuming one had the command horsepower to make it so: An F-15E (two seater) might be a likely choice due to it's long range and high speed capabilities. With only one inflight refueling the E could probably make it within the required time frame. But line up a few tankers along the route and it could make a series of supersonic dashes and refuelings, perhaps reducing the transit time by more than half. But then positioning tanker assets for short notice missions is no simple matter and may require a longer lead-time than that available...

Never mind the super secretly mission capable Blackbirds or Auroras!

I suggest looking up the performance specs for any type you might choose and learning all you can about it by conversing with current or former pilots of the type.

I hope it's a good story!

Piltdown Man
1st Jun 2014, 10:36
Why get complicated or exotic? Your man (or woman or thing) could travel in a C17 and carry all the gadgets he/she/it needs (and a few friends and extras), have some sleep, a good meal and then be thrown out the back on arrival overhead. Newark to Bastia is 3,600 nm and it would take eight hours or so.