PDA

View Full Version : sep(sea) abroad EASA

keenpilot
29th May 2014, 16:04
Does anyone have experience with adding the sep(sea) to their PPL-A in another EASA country with UK as licence state? I'm looking to do this, but uncertain how it will work with the theoretical Seamanship exam?

Thanks

firefish
29th May 2014, 17:23
We've had people coming from other EASA countries taking the sep sea in Sweden.
Where are you going to do this? The facility should know but if I were you I'd check with Norwegian CAA if (and if so - what?) something needs to be addressed prior to start training.
Since sep sea is "only" a class rating I assume the answer will be go ahead. But if you run into issues with your CAA, ask for a second opinion from another handler. Seaplane flying in Norway isn't as easy as in Sweden and you might happen to ask the wrong person.
I used to have a lot of contact with Flyteknisk Notodden and they know evertyhing (or used to) about seaplanes in Norway. They're close with Fonnafly (don't know if they still do seaplanes though). Call them and ask.

keenpilot
29th May 2014, 20:49
Thanks Firefish, it depends mostly on UK CAA which is my license state, I understand they'll accept the skill test but trying to understand the formalities around the written Seamanship exam which at the moment isn't being done in Norway. I expect this to be the first UK PPL doing this in Norway, have fired off an email to UK CAA Licencing so hoping for some info from them in a few weeks. It won't really have anything to do with Norwegian CAA so doubt they can help me much particularly as this is only just possible now that EASA licenses are in place, they won't have seen similar cases before and before wouldn't accept any foreign theory exams etc themselves (I couldn't fit the Norwegian PPL theory dates which was why I went abroad for PPL)

firefish
30th May 2014, 05:25
The written seamanship exam, is that a new requirement for the sea rating I haven't heard about or is it something the UK CAA has made up?
Since there isn't, to the best of my knowledge, a formal theoretical test be made when doing sea I can't figure out what they mean by that. Unless they're meaning that the school (RT) needs to include a theoretical part in the training program that addresses the seamanship part and that the level of knowledge is to be determined by a written test conducted at the school. If so it makes perfect sense and I'd guess that any provider of seaplane training does this.

As a side note, are there any current benefits having a license issued in the UK? Normally it's easier to have it issued at home, perhaps it's an idea to change to Norway?

Anyway, please tell us what the reply from licensing was.

riverrock83
30th May 2014, 18:28
Firefish
The Seamanship exam has always been a UK requirement for a SEP(Sea) rating.
Its because you essentially need a power boat licence as well as a pilot licence.
If you have a CPL you need to take it at the CAA (form here: SRG1152: Application for Seamanship Examinations | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=660) )

See here for an overview: Flying Training|Instructor|Examiner|Formation|CPL|Aerobatics (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/sep-sea-rating.html)

If you're looking for the EASA info, see AMC1 FCL.725.A(b)

KP - I believe many people in the UK have got their SEA class rating in other EU countries, but especially in Italy at Aero Club Como in Como, Italy on Best Aviation Schools (http://www.bestaviation.net/school/aero_club_como/)

Unfortunately I'm not one of them, but since the theory is EASA wide I doubt there would be too many issues.

Chuck Ellsworth
30th May 2014, 22:52
I am sure happy I no longer have to fly for a living.

If I had to fly a sea plane in Europe I guess my past experience would not suffice for their rule makers, for sure here in North America we would not be as knowledgeable as the EASA rules experts. :ugh::ugh: